Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What am I doing wrong (cooking)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

dankbar

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:17 pm
You can call into the butcher for a meat order to be delivered instead of going down to the store

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:18 pm
My cleaning lady does all my peeling and chopping and she cooks along side me also, I just give her recipes to follow

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:42 pm
dankbar wrote:
You can call into the butcher for a meat order to be delivered instead of going down to the store

Thanks, I’ve done that before and didn’t get the best pieces of meat so I’d rather go choose myself

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:46 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
My cleaning lady does all my peeling and chopping and she cooks along side me also, I just give her recipes to follow

My cleaning lady speaks no English and seems to have 2 left hands… no joke
It’s my dream to have someone like yours

spikta

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:41 am
I'm in awe of how much you're making! You're feeding a lot of people a lot of pretty labor intensive foods and you're doing it almost all by yourself. There are tweaks you could make, but making a lot of food takes a lot of time.

These are the tweaks I noticed:
Definitely plan a schedule, including who's going to help you peel when, and make sure it's done in advance.
Plan based on similar tasks that you can batch to minimize dishwashing - like doing all of your food processor tasks on one day.
Don't write "make soup" as an item, break it down into smaller tasks: peeling, chopping, cooking, chilling, transferring to containers, so you can get a better of how long each recipe will take.

If you're doing any task for more than 5 minutes (peeling, chopping, etc.) set up a work station so you can sit down while you do it!! There are some parts of cooking for which you need to be on your feet, but by all means no need to be on your feet for 8 hours!. It does take extra time to set up a clear space next to a table, bring over a chair, knives, cutting boards and washed vegetables... but it's worth it!! You'll feel much less drained at the end of the day!

I never really understood why people make chicken soup in advance since there's so much overhead - packing it into containers and cleaning the original pot, make room in the freezer, and then before you serve it, you need to thaw, transfer back and reheat... there's extra work beyond what you'd need to do if you just made the soup and then served it.

It's obviously too late for this now, but for next year can you make the soup erev yuntif instead of in advance? If you're tight for time on erev yuntif you can peel and cut all the vegetables the week before, freeze them in a bag, and then when you want to make the soup you just fill a pot with water, add your frozen prepped ingredients and you're done. And if one pot isn't enough and you have a blech, you can cook a second pot during the first day.

essie14

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 7:03 am
I agree about the soup comment above. I always make everything else and leave the soup for last so that I don't have to move it to containers.
Its much easier to transfer meatballs, roast, etc (IMO) to a container than soup.

amother
White

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 7:10 am
I think you did great.

My suggestion is cooking dinner first thing in the morning before starting anything else, & setting aside shopping days so cooking days are not interrupted.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 7:12 am
Can dh help at all?

I'm also pretty slow in the kitchen. Dh does a lot of cooking because he enjoys it, and he is much faster than me.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 7:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Good ideas!
Ha! You’re right about the corned beef! I don’t know.. I probably shouldn’t but it’s such an easy recipe that always comes out good… you got me thinking…

No way don't skip it! I was just curious why you wouldn't buy gefilte fish ready formed into rolls, if you can.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:01 am
It’s true about the soup… I thought about it. There are just so many last minute things to be dealing with before the night meals that it just felt good to know that the soup was over and done with. During the year I make a small pot of soup each week while my friend spends a whole day preparing soup for 6 weeks at a time… I always told her my way is much easier.
I guess for pesach it just feels good to check things off the list and not to have to worry about it especially when dealing with a large crowd.
Maybe I’m wrong?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:04 am
amother White wrote:
I think you did great.

My suggestion is cooking dinner first thing in the morning before starting anything else, & setting aside shopping days so cooking days are not interrupted.

These days I’m not giving much thought to dinner… it’s just a last minute put together whatever chometz I have… or buying something. What’s taking time is stopping what I’m doing in the kitchen and serving everyone…

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:12 am
ra_mom wrote:
No way don't skip it! I was just curious why you wouldn't buy gefilte fish ready formed into rolls, if you can.

Yes, I understand… it’s dh’s thing the fish. His mother did it, his grandmother and his sisters do it too. It’s not pesach for him without it. Whenever I try to convince him to let me buy some loaves he tells me about being extra careful on pesach about not eating things things that others prepared… non Jewish workers taking a lunch break and eating chometz etc. Honestly I think it’s the same thing if I buy ground fish that was ground by the workers.. once they’re grinding the fish can’t they already add some eggs, onions and spices? But my complaints are to no avail…
I don’t think he has any idea that when I serve corn beef some of the spicing was done in the store… I’m not about to ask now 😬
(I usually also buy French roast and kalachel…sometimes oyster steak if that makes you feel better 😘)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:13 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Can dh help at all?

I'm also pretty slow in the kitchen. Dh does a lot of cooking because he enjoys it, and he is much faster than me.

Ummm…. No… it’s not even an option unfortunately.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:41 pm
It seems like you want to do everything yourself & perfectly

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:44 pm
dankbar wrote:
It seems like you want to do everything yourself & perfectly

Maybe “want” is the wrong word…

Phoebe31

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:44 pm
spikta wrote:
I'm in awe of how much you're making! You're feeding a lot of people a lot of pretty labor intensive foods and you're doing it almost all by yourself. There are tweaks you could make, but making a lot of food takes a lot of time.

These are the tweaks I noticed:
Definitely plan a schedule, including who's going to help you peel when, and make sure it's done in advance.
Plan based on similar tasks that you can batch to minimize dishwashing - like doing all of your food processor tasks on one day.
Don't write "make soup" as an item, break it down into smaller tasks: peeling, chopping, cooking, chilling, transferring to containers, so you can get a better of how long each recipe will take.

If you're doing any task for more than 5 minutes (peeling, chopping, etc.) set up a work station so you can sit down while you do it!! There are some parts of cooking for which you need to be on your feet, but by all means no need to be on your feet for 8 hours!. It does take extra time to set up a clear space next to a table, bring over a chair, knives, cutting boards and washed vegetables... but it's worth it!! You'll feel much less drained at the end of the day!

I never really understood why people make chicken soup in advance since there's so much overhead - packing it into containers and cleaning the original pot, make room in the freezer, and then before you serve it, you need to thaw, transfer back and reheat... there's extra work beyond what you'd need to do if you just made the soup and then served it.

It's obviously too late for this now, but for next year can you make the soup erev yuntif instead of in advance? If you're tight for time on erev yuntif you can peel and cut all the vegetables the week before, freeze them in a bag, and then when you want to make the soup you just fill a pot with water, add your frozen prepped ingredients and you're done. And if one pot isn't enough and you have a blech, you can cook a second pot during the first day.

I make chicken soup first thing because many of my pesach recipes call for chicken stock, this way I have it available.

Phoebe31

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I understand… it’s dh’s thing the fish. His mother did it, his grandmother and his sisters do it too. It’s not pesach for him without it. Whenever I try to convince him to let me buy some loaves he tells me about being extra careful on pesach about not eating things things that others prepared… non Jewish workers taking a lunch break and eating chometz etc. Honestly I think it’s the same thing if I buy ground fish that was ground by the workers.. once they’re grinding the fish can’t they already add some eggs, onions and spices? But my complaints are to no avail…
I don’t think he has any idea that when I serve corn beef some of the spicing was done in the store… I’m not about to ask now 😬
(I usually also buy French roast and kalachel…sometimes oyster steak if that makes you feel better 😘)

Sounds like he is being frum at your expense, thats really unfair

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:42 pm

Last edited by amother on Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:43 pm
Can you have your husband pack away and freeze the food? It's my worst job at the end of a long day.
I leave all the food in the kitchen for him to put away

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:49 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
I would stick to easier recipes and cut out the complicated ones. Do cakes not cookies. Potato kugel but not the rest...roast veggies closer to yt instead. The Ices and meringues sound like a hassle too.

Agreed, you don't need to make ices or kugel. Make some salads and roasted or steamed veggies and cut up fresh fruit.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics