Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami Pesach Supplement
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 4:41 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Whole supplement was moronic and pointless
As per usual

Exactly I’m still beating myself up for spending $15 on the magazine

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 4:43 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
The one about the speaker rabbi and the girl who obsessed over him. The wife not liking it.

Oh I thought that one rang especially true unfortunately and I'm happy the topic was raised.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 4:47 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Oh I thought that one rang especially true unfortunately and I'm happy the topic was raised.

Ur right. I just found it a bit I dunno. Not the usual safe topic for fiction. For a true story I could see it being discussed though.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 4:51 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Ur right. I just found it a bit I dunno. Not the usual safe topic for fiction. For a true story I could see it being discussed though.
I think safe fiction is often boring fiction. And which speaker is going to come out and discuss this as a true story? I think she really shined a light here on a big issue and I'm happy she did it! (I'm a chinuch wife).

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 4:54 am
I think safe fiction is often boring fiction. And which speaker is going to come out and discuss this as a true story? I think she really shined a light here on a big issue and I'm happy she did it! (I'm a chinuch wife).

Yes but I would not have wanted my kids to read this to be honest

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 4:57 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:

Oh interesting, I'm not really at that stage but I guess I hear that point.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 6:20 am
Didn’t like the ami stories at all.
Calligraphy was okay.
Vistas was excellent.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 6:38 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
Exactly I’m still beating myself up for spending $15 on the magazine

It came separately from the magazine?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 6:54 am
amother OP wrote:
Absolutely refusing to marry the guy when waking up on her wedding day, with no specific reasons or previous concerns? Accusing her parents and the shadchan of pushing her into this shidduch while she liked him all along? Going to do makeup and hair while still insisting she isn't getting married that night?
And to top it all off - changing her tune 180 degrees after hearing he called off the wedding because how dare he?!

You not knowing anyone this could have happened to, doesn’t make it unrealistic. For some, pre-wedding jitters could look like this.
And being told her chassan was calling off the wedding was the jolt she needed.

And if nothing else, it was still pretty funny.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 7:57 am
I didn’t buy the Ami for the first YT in a long time. I enjoyed the Calligraphy supplement but I wouldn’t let my kids read it. I’m going to a family for Last days with a bunch of teenage girls and I’m not going to bring it along because I know they wouldn’t want them to read it!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:36 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Whole supplement was moronic and pointless
As per usual

Yes; but why?? Who gives the ok for such sub-standard themes and writing????

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:38 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:

It is a magazine for adults and as such adults should be the target audience

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:42 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
Yes; but why?? Who gives the ok for such sub-standard themes and writing????

Maybe that was the best of the submissions they got? To be honest, I don't have great expectations for frum fiction so neither supplement disappointed me much even if I did find some of the stories far-fetched.

I enjoyed the non fiction articles and interviews but one of the Holocaust stories in one of the magazine really bugged me bec it had glaring inaccuracies. I don't know if it was by accident or censored on purpose, but I've read 2 books about that specific survivor's story (one published by a reputable secular publisher and one by a frum publisher, so the details are in print and easy to check) so there was really no excuse for such blatant errors or changes in this survival story.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:56 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Also, I noticed they had pictures of women in the main magazine. Did #frumwomenhavefaces win?

I just ran to check the mishpacha for women’s faces and I am so moved! There are a few pictures of Mrs. Jennie Miller Faggen, the most prolific Torah philanthropist of the interwar era.

https://I.imgur.com/hSWV5lO.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/iVyZ46k.jpg

I am actually crying of joy. It was so disrespectful, objectifying and painful that frum magazines would only include pictures of a great woman’s husband and sons when discussing her. This is beautiful. I am so excited for my daughters that they won’t have to grow up feeling the way I did when reading article about women. What a game changer. So much respect to Eli Paley for taking the financial risk.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:59 am
amother Tan wrote:
I just ran to check the mishpacha for women’s faces and I am so moved! There are a few pictures of Mrs. Jennie Miller Faggen, the most prolific Torah philanthropist of the interwar era.

I am actually crying of joy. It was so disrespectful, objectifying and painful that frum magazines would only include pictures of a great woman’s husband and sons when discussing her. This is beautiful. I am so excited for my daughters that they won’t have to grow up feeling the way I did when reading article about women. What a game changer. So much respect to Eli Paley for taking the financial risk.

They've been publishing select photos of women for a few years now. For example they published photos of the Rebbetzin's of Telz yeshiva in the amazing article "The Last Neilah in Telz"

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 11:05 am
amother Tan wrote:

Especially considering the article discusses how she has been an almost "forgotten" tzaddeikes (as R' Kamenetzky termed her), as well as a person with no descendants to honor and perpectuate her memory, sadly, it is especially significant that they did. It is the decent and respectful way to treat the memory of this special woman.

(However I doubt there is much financial risk. I don't see scads of people canceling their subscriptions or advertisements over this.)

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 12:24 pm
I found the bride story to be so triggering.
That was me.

Crying and pleading that I don’t want to get married and everyone telling me it’s just wedding jitters.

(One beshow and done engagement, chosson kallah no contact allowed)

The ending was just stupid.

If I would have had that opportunity to back out I would have felt shame, but also a huge relief.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 12:25 pm
They've been publishing select photos of women for a few years now. For example they published photos of the Rebbetzin's of Telz yeshiva in the amazing article "The Last Neilah in Telz"

They often publish photos of prewar women/ sepia images.

They never publish pictures of women who are alive.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 12:55 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
They often publish photos of prewar women/ sepia images.

They never publish pictures of women who are alive.

Ami or Mishpacha?

asmileaday

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 1:04 pm
amother Iris wrote:
It came separately from the magazine?

I don't know about that poster but I only buy these magazines twice a year sukkos and pesach.

I personally don't regret buying them even though I thought it was crazy expensive. There's plenty of other parts to the magazine and I buy it less for the specific content, more for the fresh reading material for the entire family.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room