Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami Pesach Supplement
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 1:14 pm
Dh said he was super triggered and upset over the calligraphy story of the couple who lost their baby.

Reading it did remind me of my husbands feelings towards our own loss. I was trying to explain how although triggering it gives chizuk and gives awareness to men's feelings with pregnancy/baby loss.

He still doesn't think it should of been in there.

I agree it wasn't right for yuntiv. It should of been in a different week.

Also what is with the horrifying deeply descriptive account of someone drowning in the story after? Omg I wanted to have a panic attack. I know for suicide proffesionals reccemend not be too descriptive as it can promote copycat behaviour, I'm not sure why this is any different although it was not a suicide it was so disturbing and could definitely promote copycat behaviour in my opinion.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 1:16 pm
amother Blue wrote:
Dh said he was super triggered and upset over the calligraphy story of the couple who lost their baby.

Reading it did remind me of my husbands feelings towards our own loss. I was trying to explain how although triggering it gives chizuk and gives awareness to men's feelings with pregnancy/baby loss.

He still doesn't think it should of been in there.

I agree it wasn't right for yuntiv. It should of been in a different week.

Also what is with the horrifying deeply descriptive account of someone drowning in the story after? Omg I wanted to have a panic attack. I know for suicide proffesionals reccemend not be too descriptive as it can promote copycat behaviour, I'm not sure why this is any different although it was not a suicide it was so disturbing and could definitely promote copycat behaviour in my opinion.

Drowning and witch hunt (Salem witch trials)
Loss of an infant
Anorexia

Who decided this should go in YT??
Can't keep all the stupid magazines straight but they were all stupid

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 1:48 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Drowning and witch hunt (Salem witch trials)
Loss of an infant
Anorexia

Who decided this should go in YT??
Can't keep all the stupid magazines straight but they were all stupid

I am very upset at the story about the anorexic girl. It basically said that a person can recover as long as they have a will to live and autonomy over their decisions. As someone with a sister suffering from anorexia for many years, I wish it were so simple. False information about anorexia is so dangerous and harmful.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I am very upset at the story about the anorexic girl. It basically said that a person can recover as long as they have a will to live and autonomy over their decisions. As someone with a sister suffering from anorexia for many years, I wish it were so simple. False information about anorexia is so dangerous and harmful.

Was that ami?
Gosh yeah that's totally misinformation. Oy.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 2:52 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Was that ami?
Gosh yeah that's totally misinformation. Oy.

No must have been mishpacha

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Exactly I’m still beating myself up for spending $15 on the magazine

I thouroughly enjoyed Ami Living and didn't even get to the main one

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 3:15 pm
amother Black wrote:
Maybe that was the best of the submissions they got? To be honest, I don't have great expectations for frum fiction so neither supplement disappointed me much even if I did find some of the stories far-fetched.

I enjoyed the non fiction articles and interviews but one of the Holocaust stories in one of the magazine really bugged me bec it had glaring inaccuracies. I don't know if it was by accident or censored on purpose, but I've read 2 books about that specific survivor's story (one published by a reputable secular publisher and one by a frum publisher, so the details are in print and easy to check) so there was really no excuse for such blatant errors or changes in this survival story.

Which of the Holocaust stories had major inaccuracies?
I couldn't get over the story about a girl from Sobibor and her brother.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
I found the bride story to be so triggering.
That was me.

Crying and pleading that I don’t want to get married and everyone telling me it’s just wedding jitters.

(One beshow and done engagement, chosson kallah no contact allowed)

The ending was just stupid.

If I would have had that opportunity to back out I would have felt shame, but also a huge relief.

The girl in the story had a regular dating, though...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 3:19 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Ami or Mishpacha?

Mishpacha

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 3:20 pm
How do I subscribe? Where can I buy this magazine from?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 3:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Which of the Holocaust stories had major inaccuracies?
I couldn't get over the story about a girl from Sobibor and her brother.

This story.
You can read Escape From Sobibor or the frum version Tell the World. It started off with a complete inaccuracy about their parents, just for starters.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 7:07 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
Ami or Mishpacha?

In the Ami there was one picture of girls under 10 by the Gold Rush feature (was a fantastic feature!). I enjoyed all the features I just wished the picture the women they featured because it would really enhance our reading….

I much say though the supplement section was an insult to our intelligence. The kidnapping story was once of our children’s books. So sad.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 7:09 am
amother Black wrote:
This story.
You can read Escape From Sobibor or the frum version Tell the World. It started off with a complete inaccuracy about their parents, just for starters.

Yes this really bothered me. They totally misconstrued the entire story. The only real part was that the barn was in her dream.

ETA- I wonder if the other vision stories were made up too.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 7:38 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Didn’t like the ami stories at all.
Calligraphy was okay.
Vistas was excellent.

What’s vistas?

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 7:42 am
amother Milk wrote:
What’s vistas?

Bina.

Hamodia had a story section too.

I wasn’t crazy about any of them this year.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 7:47 am
I was not happy about the stories in both. I loved the stories in the Mishpacha about Eliyahu Hanavi. I could have read another 10.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:03 am
SuperWify wrote:
Yes this really bothered me. They totally misconstrued the entire story. The only real part was that the barn was in her dream.

Right. It also bugged me that it stated she left the group and went to the barn on her own, when actually she was accompanied by 2 of the men (and they all stayed hidden together until after the war). It's not ok to change details for a Holocaust story imo. If you feel you need to censor details, then choose a different story to retell.

Out of all the magazine supplements this year, I actually thought Binah had the most readable stories.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:14 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
I found the bride story to be so triggering.
That was me.

Crying and pleading that I don’t want to get married and everyone telling me it’s just wedding jitters.

(One beshow and done engagement, chosson kallah no contact allowed)

The ending was just stupid.

If I would have had that opportunity to back out I would have felt shame, but also a huge relief.

I also found it triggering! Was hoping this story would be a refreshing change with the kallah standing up to her feelings and backing out...but it ended predictably and stupidly ughhh

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:15 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
I was not happy about the stories in both. I loved the stories in the Mishpacha about Eliyahu Hanavi. I could have read another 10.

The best one was the polish peddler.
The rest to me seemed like Hashem sent someone at the right time but not… eliyahu hanavi- ish. (Like someone to give a ride when it’s cold, or change a tire in the middle of nowhere , or a chavrusa outside the beis modrash at perfect moment ). Maybe. I was taking it too literally. I loved all of them even if I didn’t think they were all Eliyahu haNavi Smile

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:18 am
The Binah main magazine was excellent!
Which magazine has that Sobibor story?
There was also another picture of Jennie Miller Faggen as an elderly woman posing with the Kamenetsky family.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room