Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/O shabbos morning menu - interesting meals you received
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

heidi

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:03 pm
With my first I said yes to receiving meals bcz I was after a c section. The first night we got Turkey legs. In an aluminum pan.
After that I said thanks but no thanks till my last when there were complications. Got chopped liver in puff pastry- for a house with a bunch of little kids.
Again, lovely but really?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:06 pm
zaq wrote:
Like you, I have no problem with frozen cholent, but apparently some people tolerate cholent only hot off the fire, not a few hours later and not previously frozen. I'm deeply pained when I see people make a huge cholent and then dump half of it in the trash because they refuse to eat leftovers. They can recite tehillim by heart all day and all night but bal tashchit they never learned.

I wouldn't freeze it once it sat on the hotplate on shabbos. I freeze after first cooking it and still needs some time to soften on the hotplate over shabbos

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:30 pm
heidi wrote:
With my first I said yes to receiving meals bcz I was after a c section. The first night we got Turkey legs. In an aluminum pan.
After that I said thanks but no thanks till my last when there were complications. Got chopped liver in puff pastry- for a house with a bunch of little kids.
Again, lovely but really?

Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with turkey legs in an aluminum pan?

Cheiny

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:15 pm
kalsee wrote:
The other thread reminded me of something that happened more than 10 years ago

I had recently moved to a new neighborhood, and had a baby shortly afterwards. A neighbor very kindly offered to make me a meal, which I was very grateful for.

She brought over at suppertime - a loaf of bread, freshly baked in her bread machine. And a pat of butter. That's it Smile

And she was proud of it too! She kept on sayin how delicious the bread is, how much she enjoys making it.

I was a little shocked at first, but got over it.

10 years down the line, and enjoying her friendship all these years-
I see that there is a tremendous difference in our relationship with food. She and her family are just not into food. They don't eat much, they don't like food that has a lot of flavors they prefer plain food. they don't enjoy variety. they don't enjoy food, in general.
A regular supper in her home - a package of crackers, some sliced cheese and cucumbers.
A shabbos meal is a plain baked salmon (some lemon on top) served with a bowl of corn (from a can)
So it's no surprise that she assumed she was giving me a gourmet meal Very Happy

What interesting meals have you received?

Did she actually say she was making you a “meal,” and then only brought over bread? If so, that’s strange.

Last edited by Cheiny on Mon, May 08 2023, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:17 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
The one time I actually had a meal train type of thing where people brought me meals after birth 2 people signed up to bring us food for shabbos, which I was really relying on because I was really not doing well and didn't have a lot of helpful support/help, the one who had signed up to bring most of the food for shabbos never showed up and never ended up bringing anything. I never heard from her after either. She must have forgotten and either never remembered or been too embarrassed to say anything.

I would’ve assumed she had some type of emergency or major problem occurred which made her forget everything else.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:19 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with turkey legs in an aluminum pan?

ya I'm also wondering

Cheiny

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:20 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
I spent a Shabbat with a friend who was volunteering on kibbutz. After tefillah Shabbat morning, we went to her "mishpacha," where we had kiddush followed by challah, eggs, salad and fruit. I was a mite disappointed, but maybe my expectations were wrong, it's kibbutz, not much money, not much meat, Mediterranean lifestyle, they do things differently here.

An hour or so later, we all went together to...the chadar ochel, where an enormous traditional Ashkenazi Shabbat meal was served. What I took to be Shabbat lunch was merely kiddush.

Another time a friend invited me to her parents' house for seudah shlishit. We sat in the living room where a big bowl of peanuts was on the table. Again, I was a bit distressed because I had walked for well over an hour to get there, and had figured on getting a bit more than some nuts and candies. I ate enough peanuts to bury an elephant, but that's what there was.

After about two hours, they opened up a set of sliding doors to a previously-hidden dining room, where my friend's mother served a standard seudah shlishit with the usual egg and tuna salad, sliced veggies, crackers and so on. The confusion was, I think, in the way the invitation was worded. Not "Come on over and stay for seudah shlishit" but "Come for seudah shlishit." When people say "come for such-and-such meal," I assume that means the meal will be served shortly after the guests arrive, not a couple of hours later.

Why would you assume the snacks in the living room were the Seuda?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:27 pm
This thread LOL

I was very grateful when I received meals for a week from kind family and friends.
What was interesting was every night I received from a different person the SAME supper ☺

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:51 pm
I once received a supper that looked like shabbos leftover. a kugel with a piece cut off.. a bit disturbing

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
I once received a supper that looked like shabbos leftover. a kugel with a piece cut off.. a bit disturbing

Oh gosh that reminds me I once by mistake sent someone half a kugel I’d shoved in the freezer!! Instead of a whole kugel. Luckily it was a very close friend and we laughed about it. (Going anon here 😉)

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:56 pm
tichellady wrote:
ya I'm also wondering

Or liver? We serve it for supper

cupcake123

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 4:03 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
This thread LOL

I was very grateful when I received meals for a week from kind family and friends.
What was interesting was every night I received from a different person the SAME supper ☺

Was it meatballs and spaghetti? Lol! I love this thread

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 4:06 pm
amother Magenta wrote:

They probably mixed up the pan with the one to keep at home

cupcake123

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 4:07 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Or liver? We serve it for supper

Nothing wrong but both liver and turkey are not a usual food that people regularly make. I personally don't like both. Plus just liver or turkey is not a full dinner.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 4:07 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
This thread LOL

This is why my community has a Google sheet where you need to write what you are sending, to prevent just this scenario.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 4:08 pm
A friend was so so nice to send us Chinese takeout food after a baby but everything she choose was majorly spicy which only DH kind of likes. I felt so bad that she spent a nice amount of money on food none of us could eat.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 4:41 pm
I got a delicious dish from a neighbor when I was sick and had a bunch of kids to feed. I was new to the neighborhood and she was the only one who brought anything. It was beautifully presented and delivered with care. My kids refused to touch it because it wasn’t the type of food they’re used to. I wasn’t feeling well enough to eat. Dh had a little. I still remember though every time I see that neighbor. Just as I suspected back then shd really is the nicest person. The supper didn’t fill our stomachs but it filled my heart.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 5:03 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
This thread LOL

Was it chicken and rice?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 5:03 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
This thread LOL

Maybe because everyone is so afraid to send anything different.
I assume it was chicken cutlets/schnitzel with rice and green beans.

I learned here that you can’t C”VS send chicken on the bone-that is disgusting. Pasta is too many carbs. Not everyone eats tomato sauce on meatballs. Fish is not liked by people. Dairy makes a new mother gassy and is detrimental to the nursing baby. Eggs look cheap, and meat is too show-offie.
What choice does a person have?

**** can someone please tell me what is wrong with turkey legs in an aluminum pan?
(And this is why everyone sticks exclusively to chicken cutlets)

tichellady

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 5:06 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Maybe because everyone is so afraid to send anything different.
I assume it was chicken cutlets/schnitzel with rice and green beans.

I learned here that you can’t C”VS send chicken on the bone-that is disgusting. Pasta is too many carbs. Not everyone eats tomato sauce on meatballs. Fish is not liked by people. Dairy makes a new mother gassy and is detrimental to the nursing baby. Eggs look cheap, and meat is too show-offie.
What choice does a person have?

**** can someone please tell me what is wrong with turkey legs in an aluminum pan?
(And this is why everyone sticks exclusively to chicken cutlets)

move to a nicer community where people are appreciative of the time and effort people put into making a meal, even if it isn't their favorite meal ever
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette