Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/O shabbos morning menu - interesting meals you received
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 8:10 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
When my dad was very ill a neighbor once sent over warm farina for breakfast and he really appreciated it, being very nauseous and avoiding lots of food.
My mom thanked her profusely and told her how it saved the day…
From that day on, every morning at 8:00 there was a fresh pot of farina at the door, prepared with love.

It’s been 20 years, and we will never forget.

That's really beautiful.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 10:49 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
When my dad was very ill a neighbor once sent over warm farina for breakfast and he really appreciated it, being very nauseous and avoiding lots of food.
From that day on, every morning at 8:00 there was a fresh pot of farina at the door, prepared with love.

In Williamsburg there is an organization you can call postpartum they will deliver a well sealed (to retain heat) container of fresh Farina every morning. They hang it on the doorknob you don't have to be ready and waiting for it.
I did that after two births. It meant so much for me.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 11:03 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
Oh gosh that reminds me I once by mistake sent someone half a kugel I’d shoved in the freezer!! Instead of a whole kugel. Luckily it was a very close friend and we laughed about it. (Going anon here 😉)

I once invited my shvigger for a YT meal. She offered to bring desert, great she usually makes some fancy chocolate mouse pie. She showed up with1/2 a pie. Till today I don't know if she got the 1/2 pie out of the freezer, or if she made a fresh pie, cut in 2 and brought me a piece.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 11:32 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:

This brings tears to my eyes.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:19 am
Fourteen years later and this thread reminded me of this incident and has me scratching my head.

I was home for my first Shabbat after the birth of my eighth child. I don't live near my family but my MIL offered to send me food- completely on her own initiative. I was happy to accept because she is a good cook and her own Shabbat meals at that point always had a variety of great food.

Anyways, an hour before Shabbat my DH comes home with a small pot of soup and some gefilte fish - which she knows I don't eat. And that was it!!! For an entire Shabbat.

I found myself three days after birth frantically sticking chicken and potatoes in the oven so that we would have something to eat.

The only possible reason I can think of now is that when my DH went to pick up the food she was resting or something and him being a man didn't see or notice there was more food to bring. But she never asked or commented afterwards to suggest that this may have been the case.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 9:21 am
I once got a well balanced, healthy, expensive, thoughtful meal. It just wasn't our taste.
Skewered grilled vegetables, whole wheat orzo, and liver.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I once got a well balanced, healthy, expensive, thoughtful meal. It just wasn't our taste.
Skewered grilled vegetables, whole wheat orzo, and liver.

I would have loved that

tweety1

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:13 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
This thread LOL

I was very grateful when I received meals for a week from kind family and friends.
What was interesting was every night I received from a different person the SAME supper ☺

After a baby I received supper from an organization. Sunday-Thursday. Every single day that week was potato wedges. While I generally really like potato wedges by the time Wednesday rolled around I was rather ready to make supper on my own than eat potato wedges the 4th day in a row.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:45 pm
After I had my first baby at age 22, a neighbor of mine sent dinner one night. She is at least 10 years older than me, got married older and didn't have any children. She wasn't even such a close friend. Just a neighbor. At the time, I felt uncomfortable that she offered to send dinner. I obviously thanked her and was appreciative. I didn't think about it all that much.

I recently had my second child after many years. During that break, I thought a lot about that meal. I could barely bring myself to wish my friends mazal tov when they had babies, much less cook them a dinner or buy them a baby gift. It was so painful for me. I cannot imagine how truly special this neighbor is for sending me that dinner. I don't know if she went home and cried after dropping it off. But it left such an impression on me. She was so kind and caring despite, what I assume to be, a gaping hole in her heart.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:59 pm
amother Opal wrote:
After I had my first baby at age 22, a neighbor of mine sent dinner one night. She is at least 10 years older than me, got married older and didn't have any children. She wasn't even such a close friend. Just a neighbor. At the time, I felt uncomfortable that she offered to send dinner. I obviously thanked her and was appreciative. I didn't think about it all that much.

I recently had my second child after many years. During that break, I thought a lot about that meal. I could barely bring myself to wish my friends mazal tov when they had babies, much less cook them a dinner or buy them a baby gift. It was so painful for me. I cannot imagine how truly special this neighbor is for sending me that dinner. I don't know if she went home and cried after dropping it off. But it left such an impression on me. She was so kind and caring despite, what I assume to be, a gaping hole in her heart.

This brought tears to my eyes.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:10 pm
amother Opal wrote:

Why was it hard for you to see your friends having babies?

22 is very young. Talking about even chassidish cirlces. I had a baby close to my 22nd birthday and I was no where near the last in my class.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:11 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Why was it hard for you to see your friends having babies?

22 is very young. Talking about even chassidish cirlces. I had a baby close to my 22nd birthday and I was no where near the last in my class.

She had secondary infertility after.

Moonlight

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:17 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
I think you posted this story once already.
It stayed in my mind.
Or maybe your neighbor gave this meal to another poster too.

Once when my mother gave birth a neighbor sent over supper: Chicken with no spices, and challa kugel. (Which to me feels like eating her leftover challah)

Just have to say, someone once game me challah kugel and it was AMAZING

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:18 pm
Always got wonderful appreciated meals…when I got….
One sweet touch was someone who wrote down the recipes to all the food she sent, including homemade rolls etc.

Moonlight

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:18 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
In sem I once went to Chevron for Shabbos. They served a stack of crepes, bowls of sweet soft cheese, fruit fillings, and more. It was the most delicious Shabbos day meal I ever had and I've often wished we didn't have a minhag to eat fleshing Shabbos day!

Ooooh fun shavuos idea

Moonlight

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:33 pm
I really appreciate the meals I get postpartum. Everything is delicious to me. As my kids got older, I saw they weren't willing to eat other people's food so I cut down. But my best recipes and close friends are from postpartum meals.
I did have one baby where I got spaghetti and meatballs every single day, but we froze them and made rice and saved the meatballs for the next week

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:55 pm
I had a traumatic medical emergency post birth after a really hard pregnancy and someone offered to send supper. I was already hungry lunchtime and dreaming of a warm supper. At 6 o’clock there was a knock on the door and it was a pizza pie delivery.

I had the newborn and a 1.5 year old daughter. So it wasn’t like she was sending it for my kids and that would have been a huge help!!
I cried and cried from that pizza. I hate pizza and was dreaming of a warm home cooked meal.
My poor husband offered to pick up food for me and I just kept sobbing how much I wanted home cooked food not takeout.
( he ended up running out to pick up ingredients and grilled a delicious steak for me)

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:08 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
I would have loved that

Me too!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:11 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
She had secondary infertility after.

Now it's making sense.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:14 pm
LOL this all just shows how every single person is so different about food. If someone gifts you food just be brave and try to enjoy it, at least the caring part.

I had only one person send a casserole when I had my oldest, it kept me alive for days, every single meal I ate it, I was in no condition to think about food, I would have fasted.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette