Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Tell me everything I should know before buying condo Monsey
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:33 am
amother Holly wrote:
Living in a Monsey condo for about 10 years, I’ll tell you what has broken already… (For reference, I have 2 little kids…)

Divider from kitchen between milchig and fleishig
Built in vanity door
Central Air conditioning motor leak (the one that’s on the house which caused floor to get ruined)
A broom fell and made a hole in the wall
The house settles so there’s a 5-7 inch hole between the doorpost and the path to door
Water pipe is leaking somewhere- bills are through the roof

My neighbors had the following broken
Motor from a/c outside
Boiler
Steam
Walls on top where they meet ceiling cracked from settling
Outdoor stucco is cracking

And much more.

House is standing less than 10 years

Yes. That’s what I meant by junky. Looking pretty doesn’t mean strong quality.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:35 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
I don’t know if you read the op well, but she most definitely did not ask for negative only. So valerian is giving the positives. What’s your issue?

It's not about positives vs negatives. It's just facts of information. So no need to come on here and say "wow, so much negativity!." This isn't about positives vs negatives.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:38 am
amother Papaya wrote:
Yes. That’s what I meant by junky. Looking pretty doesn’t mean strong quality.

My sil bought a brand new condo barely 4 years ago (maybe even less, I can't remember exactly) and her a/c already requires a $4,000 repair. If that's not junky I don't know what is.

But her house looks pretty....

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:41 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
My sil bought a brand new condo barely 4 years ago (maybe even less, I can't remember exactly) and her a/c already requires a $4,000 repair. If that's not junky I don't know what is.

We moved in to a brand new condo 10 years ago. We lived there for 8 years. In those 8 years, the heating/ac required constant repairs, we had several leaks, shingles fell off without anyone touching them.
The garbage situation was horrendous, I felt like I was the only one that cared. I was busy cleaning outside all summer long. The lack of privacy was also getting to us, I could never sit outside with DH, or even by myself or with guests.
Bh we moved to private 2 years ago, and the quality of life is not to compare. I don't have to live with others noise and trash and smells.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:53 am
amother Seashell wrote:
It's not about positives vs negatives. It's just facts of information. So no need to come on here and say "wow, so much negativity!." This isn't about positives vs negatives.

Well, it’s simple. facts could be positive or negative, and all the facts given were only negative facts. Op asked for the good and bad and until amother valerian she only got the bad facts. Don’t you agree?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:56 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Well, it’s simple. facts could be positive or negative, and all the facts given were only negative facts. Op asked for the good and bad and until amother valerian she only got the bad facts. Don’t you agree?

No, I don't agree that the information was bad. It's just the truth and it seems like amother Valerian took it personally.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:03 pm
Not all condos in monsey were equal. Find out what the builder/owner/investor build elsewhere and see if those people are satisfied. I personally joined up with a builder (I laid out the funds) and he built two units - one for me and one for him. I was able to tell him what I wanted and we are bh super happy. We have excellent soundproofing (I asked for this) and quality is great.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:03 pm
OP look into how many parking spaces there are. Many of the very new developments dont even have one parking spot alotted for each family, let alone if there are 2 cars per family.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:32 pm
wow! somehow when I think about a monsey condo its my dream. I live in the city and moving out just seemed so perfect with all the ads and pictures. Thanks to the facts listed here we will be way more careful with our search.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:37 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

So interesting I have a/c problems from the first day as well. Sad
Almost everyone is saying the same.
They should come with a warranty!

Amarante

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:52 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
wow! somehow when I think about a monsey condo its my dream. I live in the city and moving out just seemed so perfect with all the ads and pictures. Thanks to the facts listed here we will be way more careful with our search.

Much of what people are writing about in terms of the quality of what they are buying is true of ANY home that you buy. You could buy a single family new construction home that was shoddily built.

If you buy ANY home, you need to have it inspected by a certified home inspector to make sure there aren't issues. New homes typically come with at least one year warranties.

I am still confused as to whether people are calling every "townhouse" type of building a condo because you can buy an attached home that isn't a condo. The quality of the build can be bad or good and your neighbors can be bad or good as well.

A condo is a form of ownership that has specific issues that you need to deal with that are IN ADDITION to issues relating to the actual quality of the home or unit. If you buy a condo you need to take certain precautions in terms of determining how the condo is governed.

esuss

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 3:03 pm
People who live in Brooklyn with all the problems and have married children living in Monsey all tell me that Brooklyn is better than living in a Monsey development. Monsey rents are really not far behind Brooklyn prices.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:25 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
There are areas in Spring Valley that the zoning only allows for 2 family houses on a property. You can look into those to avoid some of the issues mentioned above.
I doubt her mortgage will be less than $4,000.00, probably way more. Prices are insane.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:26 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I doubt her mortgage will be less than $4,000.00, probably way more. Prices are insane.

A condo in Monsey/spring valley are going from a million to 1.8 million

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:05 pm
amother Birch wrote:
A condo in Monsey/spring valley are going from a million to 1.8 million
meshiga

amother
Holly

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:13 pm
Builders in Monsey that build really cheap and ask for a lot are Mr O and Mr K that I know of.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:14 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Builders in Monsey that build really cheap and ask for a lot are Mr O and Mr K that I know of.
yeah, there are others that joined the bandwagon also.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:21 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
yeah, there are others that joined the bandwagon also.

I’m sure… so unfortunate

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:36 pm
amother Holly wrote:

This is lashon hora.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:53 pm
amother Holly wrote:

There is more than one builder with the same initials, and besides for it being lashon hara you can be causing uncalled for damage to an honorable builder. I personally know of a builder with one of those initials that is one of the most sought after builders in Monsey.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries