Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
IDGI! Why are we teaching our kids Fakery?!
1  2  3  4  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:14 am
Mosdos who are banning smartphones and only allowing flip phones and tablets...
Why are tablets better than smartphones? And if you tell me they are not as often used or only kept at home, I have a bridge to sell you!
And what bothers me the most-we are teaching our kids to have a flip phone on the outside and smartphone/tablet at home.
If that is not fakery, what is?

It gets me so angry!
I have a filtered smartphone. My daughter's school just decided to hop on the bandwagon and ban smartphones on school premises. She recently had a performance and I had to borrow a flip phone for the event.

What are we teaching our children??

The ship has long sailed. Smartphones are here to stay.
Create guidelines with that in mind.
Back to top

amother
DarkGray


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:54 am
Just goes to show how clueless and behind the times the higher ups often are.
Back to top

the world's best mom




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 12:06 pm
I agree with you and I disagree with you.

I agree that:

-Tablets are just as bad as smartphones.

-Smartphones are, unfortunately, here to stay.

-People who have smartphones will usually only lie and pretend they don't have it.

I disagree that schools should just allow smartphones because they are here. I wonder if they should just demand filters instead of flip phones? I don't think anyone who hasn't bought a smartphone until now will suddenly buy one because the school hasn't outlawed them. But people will probably lie about the filters the same way they lie about the phones themselves. And if even one person gives up the smartphone because of the school rule, they were successful for one family.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 12:33 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I agree with you and I disagree with you.

I agree that:

-Tablets are just as bad as smartphones.

-Smartphones are, unfortunately, here to stay.

-People who have smartphones will usually only lie and pretend they don't have it.

I disagree that schools should just allow smartphones because they are here. I wonder if they should just demand filters instead of flip phones? I don't think anyone who hasn't bought a smartphone until now will suddenly buy one because the school hasn't outlawed them. But people will probably lie about the filters the same way they lie about the phones themselves. And if even one person gives up the smartphone because of the school rule, they were successful for one family.


True the bolded.

But what bothers me is what lesson are the children imbibing?
That it is okay (because Totty and Mommy have one at home) to have a smartphone at home but we will fake it for the school/street and pretend we don't.
And if the school is trying to teach that smartphones are wrong, you're basically teaching children that their parents are doing the wrong thing.
Scratching Head
Back to top

amother
Orange


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 12:57 pm
I think the idea is that tablets aren't as frequently taken out in shul as they are bigger and bulkier.
Back to top

the world's best mom




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
True the bolded.

But what bothers me is what lesson are the children imbibing?
That it is okay (because Totty and Mommy have one at home) to have a smartphone at home but we will fake it for the school/street and pretend we don't.
And if the school is trying to teach that smartphones are wrong, you're basically teaching children that their parents are doing the wrong thing.
Scratching Head
The school is trying to teach a lesson that smartphones are bad. The parents can then choose to 1- agree with the lesson,

2-disregard it and teach the kids that they don't care about school rules and they feel free to ignore them, or

3-have an open discussion saying that you agree with the school rule for unfiltered smartphones, but since yours is filtered you feel it should be okay. You can explain why you need (want?) the phone and what measures you have taken to keep yourself safe from the dangers.
Back to top

chanatron1000




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 1:38 pm
The schools are supposed to work for the parents, not the other way around.
Back to top

amother
Rose


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 1:39 pm
There is a big difference between a tablet and smartphone
Back to top

amother
Rose


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 1:40 pm
"]There is a big difference between a tablet and smartphone
If there wasnt why x just have a tablet?
Back to top

amother
Daisy


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 1:47 pm
A smartphone is worse than a tablet because it's smaller and more accessible. You don't see people glued to tablets as they are to smartphones. Smartphones are way more addictive because of their accessibility.
Back to top

mikayla18




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:20 pm
I interviewed at a school and I mentioned using internet for research (with parental supervision) in model lesson and the principal was shocked that I talked about it she then goes on to tell me that she uses the internet all day for school but they just don't "talk about it" ummmm ok, thanks for the opportunity. I'm gonna find a job somewhere else Smile
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:27 pm
My kids yeshivish school is really balanced when it comes to tech. It is possible to have standards but not teach our kids to be fake. Its really a shame that its not more wide spread.
Back to top

amother
Snowdrop


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:31 pm
Just face it. All your Mosdos care about is being in control
Back to top

amother
Winterberry


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My kids yeshivish school is really balanced when it comes to tech. It is possible to have standards but not teach our kids to be fake. Its really a shame that its not more wide spread.


Same. BH.
They tell us all internet devices should be filtered, and thats it.
Back to top

the world's best mom




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:39 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
The schools are supposed to work for the parents, not the other way around.
No, it's neither. The schools are supposed to help us be mechanech our children. I'm assuming there are varying opinions among the parents of what is best for their kids.
Back to top

the world's best mom




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:43 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Same. BH.
They tell us all internet devices should be filtered, and thats it.
Come to think of it, that's what my kids' schools do and I'm happy with that. My girls' high school makes the girls give in their phones to the office every morning and they pick it up at dismissal.

When the school told me that this is their policy, I was bothered but they explained that they know the girls will have smartphones anyway so they don't bother to try to stop them. I do see their point, and now I guess I agree with it, because the people who didn't have smartphones to begin with still don't and the ones that do don't have to break school rules to continue.

But I do think there should be discussions in school and at home about the dangers of the internet.
Back to top

amother
Gladiolus


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:46 pm
Stuff like this makes me very thankful that my out of town community school focuses on my children's education, and not on what kinds of devices their parents do or don't have.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:48 pm
Ours is a little more detailed but not over the top. I signed this when I did registration this past week. I'm taking out the school name but if you send here too you will recognize.

Raising pure children in today's world is certainly not an easy charge. Yet, together, we can do it. With your shared commitment, vision and focus to do what is right, we can aspire that our children grow and blossom to become ehrliche Yidden.

The internet remains an ongoing challenge as we live in an increasingly digital world. The challenge is exacerbated when it comes to our children, teens and preteens. It impacts them socially, emotionally, academically and certainly on a ruchniyus level. By following the school's technology guidelines, your partnership will ensure a healthy and productive child.

X School Policy:

A family that needs internet service must have all devices filtered in a most responsible way.
A child should not be online alone and/or without parental supervision and oversight.
Computers/devices should be kept in open public spaces.
No assignments will be given that require the internet for research.
Students may not have a personal internet enabled device.
Students may not have their own cell phone even one without internet access.
If there’s a need for a cell phone when going to a store or outing only a phone without internet access can be used.
No student of X may be on a social networking site, or be part of a social networking group.
The standard of X is that parents' cellphones and devices should be filtered.
Any additional school policies will be reflected in the handbook.

And thats it. I think its just enough.
Back to top

amother
Iris


 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:36 pm
theres a new type of flip phone that looks like a flip phone but is actually a smart phone.

Just saying.
Back to top

chili-n-cholent




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:30 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Ours is a little more detailed but not over the top. I signed this when I did registration this past week. I'm taking out the school name but if you send here too you will recognize.

Raising pure children in today's world is certainly not an easy charge. Yet, together, we can do it. With your shared commitment, vision and focus to do what is right, we can aspire that our children grow and blossom to become ehrliche Yidden.

The internet remains an ongoing challenge as we live in an increasingly digital world. The challenge is exacerbated when it comes to our children, teens and preteens. It impacts them socially, emotionally, academically and certainly on a ruchniyus level. By following the school's technology guidelines, your partnership will ensure a healthy and productive child.

X School Policy:

A family that needs internet service must have all devices filtered in a most responsible way.
A child should not be online alone and/or without parental supervision and oversight.
Computers/devices should be kept in open public spaces.
No assignments will be given that require the internet for research.
Students may not have a personal internet enabled device.
Students may not have their own cell phone even one without internet access.
If there’s a need for a cell phone when going to a store or outing only a phone without internet access can be used.
No student of X may be on a social networking site, or be part of a social networking group.
The standard of X is that parents' cellphones and devices should be filtered.
Any additional school policies will be reflected in the handbook.

And thats it. I think its just enough.

Wow that sounds so normal! It's impressive!
Is this a high school or elementary school as the only interesting thing to me was the no phones for students rule.
Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What do your kids listen to in the car?
by amother
7 Today at 6:36 pm View last post
Kids eye exam medicaid
by amother
1 Today at 10:39 am View last post
by TCR
Kids helping
by amother
9 Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:30 pm View last post
Getting up early with kids
by amother
10 Thu, Feb 22 2024, 7:09 am View last post
Parenting complex kids- online summit 0 Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:00 pm View last post