Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help me come to terms with the name Tzirel
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:55 pm
My oldest is named after a close relative of my DH. It is two names one a typical name and one not so typical or so “nice”.
The relative was called by the unusual one and DH told me if we are giving the name he & his family will call the child by the name the relative was called.
He did not push for it but I felt giving the name was the right thing to do.
It was hard at first but it’s amazing how the name completely changed for me because that name is MY child & I love it!!
The child is now 12 and I’m so happy I have that name it means the world to my DH (we did not have another child that gender). It’s so special to have a child named after somebody you had a special relationship with.
It might be hard but I think you will learn to love the name once it’s your child.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:56 pm
I gave a family name I didn’t like. She’s 15 now and shares the name with so many cousins…
It only feels strange the first few weeks… then you barely think about it as you grow to love your child.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I gave a family name I didn’t like. She’s 15 now and shares the name with so many cousins…
It only feels strange the first few weeks… then you barely think about it as you grow to love your child.

She likely won’t share the name with cousins. There’s a list of names with a hierarchy- and I’m the only one who has gone through the majority of it. My other kids share some names with some cousins.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:08 pm
I believe Tzirel means Treasure 🙂
Tziri is beyond adorable!
Bshaa tova op!

scintilla

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:09 pm
Does it help you to know that I think it's a beautiful, regal sounding name? When I hear the name Tzirel I think of a classy young woman with lots of poise. Don't know why, just sounds like that:) I do know a few Tzirels and think it's even prettier than Tziri but both are nice.

You can try getting excited about it, or you can decide that you will give it because you think it's the right thing to do, accept the feelings that come with it, maybe write them all down, and let them pass through you without shame or guilt. Think "I am doing this, I want to do this, it feels hard and that's ok". And then maybe as others have suggested get a pretty bracelet or maybe a pretty blanket with the name on it and keep it around so you see it and get used to the name, and mentally associate it with something pretty that you like.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:09 pm
Am I the only one who only agrees to give names that I like?? Ok...

My husband always goes to our rav for a bracha before naming our kids. He always asks if the mother likes the name and then gives a bracha.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:11 pm
I’ve been very close with a Tzirel since I can remember and then dd had a best friend Tziri so I love the name. Names are always associated with people. There’s a popular name that always comes up on the favorite girls names threads that I would never want to use because of a a bad association I have with it.
Im yirtzeh Hashem your little baby girl will be a gorgeous and adorable and everyone including you will love the name because it makes them think of her.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:12 pm
amother Plum wrote:

My husband always goes to our rav for a bracha before naming our kids. He always asks if the mother likes the name and then gives a bracha.

Usually yes and I won’t give I name I absolutely despise. But sometimes there are reasons that weigh over the moms dislikes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:13 pm
amother Plum wrote:

I could insist. But he’s always been so gracious with my names. If I made a big fuss about it, he probably wouldn’t. We also ask our Rav regarding names before we give them, and this time will be no exception.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:14 pm
I have named for three members of dh's family (and for three members of my family, but happens to be that the names on my side were all normal names). One of them had a name that I personally didn't like, and the other two were yiddish names that are objectively atypical in my society. (Think Yenta, Shprintza, Zelda, Mottel, Alter, Anshel.)

I named after them anyway. One is the name that the child is called, and it used to make me cringe every time. Now if I think about it, I'll be honest, I still don't love the name. But it doesn't make me cringe anymore, and I love my child, and it meant a lot to dh, so it is what it is.

The other two were named afterwards. I made their names into little rhymes and songs, sang those songs to them when they were babies and would cry, made a little bedtime routine that included their full yiddish names, and it got to the point that now I love the names and find them cute. One of them was after a grandmother who I also loved and am so glad we could name after, and I think that made a huge difference also.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:27 pm
Not sure which sort of community you are from, but could you go with Sheryl? I have a friend that did that with Tzirel.
My own name is an atypical name from my father's side that my mom knew she'd have to give when she got married, but didn't realise it would be her first girls after boys..Now we laugh that she thought it would impact our relationship...it didn't.
And I'm tickled pink that she learned to love the name over me!

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:41 pm
My best friend is tzirel, she’s the only tzirel I know, and I don’t think of it as a bad name at all.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:47 pm
I love the idea of getting a beautiful bracelet for her with her name. Anything so small and gold is elegant Smile

Tzirel is pretty, and less common- she probably won’t be one of 3 in her class!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:47 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
Not sure which sort of community you are from, but could you go with Sheryl? I have a friend that did that with Tzirel.
My own name is an atypical name from my father's side that my mom knew she'd have to give when she got married, but didn't realise it would be her first girls after boys..Now we laugh that she thought it would impact our relationship...it didn't.
And I'm tickled pink that she learned to love the name over me!

A community where Yiddish names are very accepted. Sheryl wouldn’t go over.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
A community where Yiddish names are very accepted. Sheryl wouldn’t go over.

Okay so ignore my first sentence and go with the rest of my post....

DustyDiamonds

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:53 pm
There was a gorgeous girl named Tzirel in my class many years ago, so I always think of her beauty, inside and out, with this name.

And check out Morah Tziri’s new Inkredikids podcast!

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 8:58 pm
I speak German and reminds me of the word "zierlich" which means dainty. I think that's a nice connection to a girl name

tweety1

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 9:12 pm
I have a name for my son that I really really dislike. Very unusual name too. Problem is the grandfather I knew. Some of my kids even got to know him. He was the most liked person around. Huge Talmud chucham. This kid is Kah Kah soooo adorable. So shrewd and smart. This name fits him so perfectly. Funny thing is, that all the kids with this name have a very similar personality. I can't imagine this kid with any other name.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 9:37 pm
I gave a name after my grandmother 6 years ago and I actually added a great grandmothers name to it because I was so sure that I hated my grandmothers name and thought I would never use it...well, guess what, my older kids started calling her by thst name and it slowly stuck and now I absolutely l9ve that name!!! It really suits her and she is such a gorgeous kid thst I feel like the name became cute because of her...

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 9:44 pm
what names do you prefer?

do you have any one you loved, even a rebetzin, relative, a woman u admire, who u also love the name?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names