Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why won’t the government pay for HEALTHY items
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:15 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I live in Lakewood. Check the app, only the large mehadrin plain flavor is allowed for Greek.
You can scan the container in the store and you’ll see it’s allowed.

That's interesting. In NY you can get Normans Greek vanilla and strawberry. The vanilla is delicious. Almost ice cream like.
The nom Greek you can only get plain Mehadrin and Normans.

Back to the topic, I wish they wouldn't be so petty on the cereals and breads. They should be interchangeable. I'd love to buy less cereal and more ww bread.

And cheese. For cy it's literally only American cheese and those purple and blue haolam pkg of sliced. I'd love to change it up with cottage cheese or shredded. I end up using it for ziti, just slicing it up myself before melting it.

GLUE

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:31 pm
In Lakewood you can get the blocks of cheder, Munster, motzrala cheese the 16OZ pack(yes I spelled them wrong, my spell check is not picking them up).

I am going to say something that's not PC many of times people living in a food swamp(a place were there is plenty of food just everything is going to give you diabetes)don't have fresh produce because:

1) the decent super markets closed down due to shoplifting so the only place to buy food is in liquor stores and the like
2)Nobody buys the stuff so the stores don't carry them, if nobody is buying fresh produce and the stuff just rots on the shelf the store will not carry it. If people are buying fresh produce the stores will carry them.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:34 pm
In nj you can get a 16 oz bag of shredded cheese, 16 oz block, you can even get 16 oz sliced fresh mozarella

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:37 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
My question is why are the prices raised so high on wic foods? Go to the kosher store and the wic eggs are much more expensive than the non wic eggs, for example. And the wic yogurts are more expensive than the non wic yogurts (CY). It’s like we’re being punished for not having wic.

What is the difference between wic and non-wic eggs, other than price?

GLUE

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:38 pm
DrMom wrote:

Wic eggs are large you can't get extra Large eggs on Wic

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:39 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
The county does not get to decide ‘hey let’s put potato chips’ as a WIC item.
No one is looking for potato chips

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:40 pm
GLUE wrote:
Wic eggs are large you can't get extra Large eggs on Wic
Right and the large eggs are more expensive than extra large.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:43 pm
DrMom wrote:

The non-wic ones are bigger. There is no argument here other than complaining about free food.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:44 pm
I don't have WIC and only buy large eggs as that's the standard size in recipes.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:45 pm
amother Silver wrote:
No one is looking for potato chips

My point is the county administers the program, the don’t determine what foods qualify.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:50 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
My point is the county administers the program, the don’t determine what foods qualify.
They do, within reason. Different locations allow different foods.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hon, can we try to stay focused on my question? Why does wic cover only the sweetened sugar unhealthy stuff when they can easily cover the healthy stuff? Do they purposely want us to be unhealthy?
Let’s leave the entitled, bratty ,appreciate wic , don’t be on wic, your too poor , your too rich for a spin-off. Rolling Eyes
Thanks

Because the program is made for children whom may actually be starving and whom need calories.

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:57 pm
My opinion? WIC is not so much about healthy as much as supporting certain industries. I used to get WIC and realized this. I did appreciate the free food but it was awful that they encouraged foods that weren't so healthy.

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:57 pm
DrMom wrote:

Speaking as descendant of chicken farmers- XL eggs have (more) hormones than L eggs. Medium is even better if you can find

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:24 pm
WIC foods must abide by Federal guidelines.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/w.....foods

States decide how to implement it. Not all plant milks follow these rules and standards so they are not necessarily equivalent.

Why do you want extra large eggs? Large eggs are the standard. There is no health difference that XL are better in some way- so that is being picky and wanting what is preferable to you. Same with flavors of cheese. The point is nutrition so why should the government pay more for specialty cheese if there is an equivalent that has the same protein content?

No kosher cheese is covered where I live.

The juice requirement is just weird.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:15 pm
This is the list from the Federal government which states or whatever I am assuming must use to be in compliance.

Do you think the list doesn’t contain a broad range of foods that were selected in good faith to provide appropriate nutrition to poor hungry children?

Nothing is perfect but it is appalling to read the entitlement of people receiving money to buy food from this list complaining because they can’t purchase the specific almond milk or size of egg. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:18 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
This is the list from the Federal government which states or whatever I am assuming must use to be in compliance.

Do you think the list doesn’t contain a broad range of foods that were selected in good faith to provide appropriate nutrition to poor hungry children?

Nothing is perfect but it is appalling to read the entitlement of people receiving money to buy food from this list complaining because they can’t purchase the specific almond milk or size of egg. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

This is LITERALLY not how it works. I can tell you have never been on WIC.

And seriously, its ENTITLED to be poor? Whenever I think imamother has reached a new low, no...

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:25 pm
Rappel wrote:
Because the program is made for children whom may actually be starving and whom need calories.

No it's not. That's food stamps. WIC has a much higher income eligibility level and its more about teaching families about good nutrition. Definitely NOT about calories.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:26 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
This is LITERALLY not how it works. I can tell you have never been on WIC.

And seriously, its ENTITLED to be poor? Whenever I think imamother has reached a new low, no...

What do you mean this isn’t how it works.

There is a long list of foods that are able to be purchased.

The entitlement comes from whining that certain specific foods aren’t included and writing that the government has malevolent reasons for their list instead of attempting to ensure that poor children are able to maximize nutrition intake.

And if one is receiving $X amount of free food, then surely that augments your budget to pay for food for others since you don’t have to spend money for those items you are getting free.

Seems to include healthy yogurt

Yogurt

Requirements

Must be pasteurized and conform to FDA standard of identity, whole (21 CFR 131.200), low-fat (21 CFR 131.203) or non-fat (21 CFR 131.206).
Must contain no more than 40 g of total sugars per 1 cup yogurt.
May be plain or flavored.
Yogurts fortified with vitamin A and other nutrients are allowed at the SA’s option.

Not Allowed

Yogurts sold with accompanying mix-in ingredients such as granola, candy pieces, honey, nuts and similar ingredients.
Drinkable yogurts

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:03 pm
Last I checked greek yogurt is not covered by wic. I wish. Lakewood based
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries