Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why won’t the government pay for HEALTHY items
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:07 pm
Sebastian wrote:
In nj you can get a 16 oz bag of shredded cheese, 16 oz block, you can even get 16 oz sliced fresh mozarella

It seems that NY and NJ have different rules.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
WHEN ITS EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE OR CHEAPER?
Example on Wic - milk- either you get regular milk or oat milk - but the only oat milk covered is the sweetened and flavored one. The unsweetened oat milk that costs exactly the same is uncovered. It’s as if they WANT you to have the extra sugar.
Take yogurt- only the regular not healthy yogurt is covered. Can’t get the unsweetened versions etc etc

Welcome to waking up and smelling the coffee.

where we recognize that the government is heavily lobbied by pharmaceutical companies who want everyone on pharmaceuticals and so hardly anything that is being encouraged by our lovely government is for our benefit.

Where we recognize that news is about pushing fear mongering agendas

Where we recognize that our health care system is in fact a sick care system.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:11 pm
I get WIC in NY. Seems quite healthy to me. The only thing not healthy is the juice, which I just don't buy. Plain Greek yogurt or plain regular yogurt. Cheerios etc. Peanut butter or beans. Whole wheat bread. Milk. Fruits and vegetables. Eggs. Cheese. Am I missing something?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:12 pm
Trademark wrote:
Beggars can't be choosers is a reality of life. It's not about daring to complain, if you want a specific food then she can use her own money.

Thats not the point. The point is why would our government not care to encourage healthier eating habits for those they have full control over?

Why are certain ingredients banned all over the world but not in America?

Why does heinz ketchup have different ingredients in UK than US?
Why is coloring, which is a known carcinogen and certain preservatives, knowns neurotoxins, approved for sale in US but banned in Europe?

GLUE

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:15 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Thats not the point. The point is why would our government not care to encourage healthier eating habits for those they have full control over?

Why are certain ingredients banned all over the world but not in America?

Why does heinz ketchup have different ingredients in UK than US?
Why is coloring, which is a known carcinogen and certain preservatives, knowns neurotoxins, approved for sale in US but banned in Europe?

Trix a few years ago decided that it is only going to use natural food based dye for it's cereal. It did not sell people who buy Trix wanted the bright artificial dye in there cereal.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:27 pm
OP, I totally agree with you.
The reason they don't want the healthier items is because those items are more expensive. Healthy greek yogurt costs more than the cheap sugary junk.

The irony of all this, is that the whole idea of WIC is to get people to eat healthier because they believe that if you don't have enough money to buy the healthy foods, you'll choose unhealthy foods.
And then they give unhealthy choices because of $.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:43 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
The reason they don't want the healthier items is because those items are more expensive. Healthy greek yogurt costs more than the cheap sugary junk.

The irony of all this, is that the whole idea of WIC is to get people to eat healthier because they believe that if you don't have enough money to buy the healthy foods, you'll choose unhealthy foods.

Nope- the oat milk flavored and unsweetened is same exact price. Just ONE example.
For the others saying that it’s not available in many stores- they can easily allow BOTH! Sweetened and unsweetened. It’s all loaded on a card now and very easy for them to just add unsweetened as an allowable item. Not sure what you mean by it not being available all over

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nope- the oat milk flavored and unsweetened is same exact price. Just ONE example.
For the others saying that it’s not available in many stores- they can easily allow BOTH! Sweetened and unsweetened. It’s all loaded on a card now and very easy for them to just add unsweetened as an allowable item. Not sure what you mean by it not being available all over

It has nothing to do with price.

They also don't offer water.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Anemone wrote:

They offer plain yogurt.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:49 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
It has nothing to do with price.

They also don't offer water.

Did you read my question? Why are they only allowing the unhealthy choices and not the healthy ones when they are exactly the same price? What is the reasoning behind it? Please don’t get sidetracked Jasmine

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:59 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
They offer plain yogurt.

And almond milk?

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Did you read my question? Why are they only allowing the unhealthy choices and not the healthy ones when they are exactly the same price? What is the reasoning behind it? Please don’t get sidetracked Jasmine

I read your question.

The reasoning is that unsweetened oat milk is basically water.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
And almond milk?

What's the benefit of almond milk?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:06 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
What's the benefit of almond milk?

What’s the benefit of SWEETENED almond milk?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
I read your question.

The reasoning is that unsweetened oat milk is basically water.

And sweetened almond milk (which is allowed) is sugar plus water in your reasoning?

Just want to add sorry Jasmine to put you on the spot like this but it’s just ludicrous to try and defend this idea so I had to put you in a little corner just to clarify facts here. Nothing personal.
I don’t think me and you should continue conversing on this thread because apparently your not looking for facts- your trying defend the gov for some weird reason. I won’t be responding to your posts further as we’re getting sidetracked and I really want and answer to my question- not pettiness

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
And sweetened almond milk (which is allowed) is sugar plus water in your reasoning?

Just want to add sorry Jasmine to put you on the spot like this but it’s just ludicrous to try and defend this idea so I had to put you in a little corner just to clarify facts here. Nothing personal.
I don’t think me and you should continue conversing on this thread because apparently your not looking for facts- your trying defend the gov for some weird reason. I won’t be responding to your posts further as we’re getting sidetracked and I really want and answer to my question- not pettiness

You didn't corner me.

I answered your question. There are more calories in sweetened oat milk (now its almond milk?).

If the gov't is subsidizing something - it should have substance.

If you only want to read rants about how stupid the gov't is... feel free to read other responses.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
What’s the benefit of SWEETENED almond milk?

calorie wise it better approximates cow milk.

keym

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

I was once talking about this with a WIC supervisor in a different state (not NY and NJ).
She said that often times its a constant balancing act between trying to make the most healthy options available and making sure that the children will ACTUALLY eat the healthy options and get the nutrition.
Their concern is that if they'd allow say the unflavored almond milk, then parents would buy it but the kids won't actually drink it and it would literally go down the drain. By allowing the vanilla flavored almond milk, it's more likely that the children will actually drink it and get the nutrients even with the extra sugar.

That was the reasoning for Life as opposed to Bran Flakes and other choices.

Of course it's not perfect. It's a government program.
But I don't believe they're trying to make kids sick. They're just trying to get as much nutrition into as many children as possible

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:42 pm
keym wrote:
I was once talking about this with a WIC supervisor in a different state (not NY and NJ).
She said that often times its a constant balancing act between trying to make the most healthy options available and making sure that the children will ACTUALLY eat the healthy options and get the nutrition.
Their concern is that if they'd allow say the unflavored almond milk, then parents would buy it but the kids won't actually drink it and it would literally go down the drain. By allowing the vanilla flavored almond milk, it's more likely that the children will actually drink it and get the nutrients even with the extra sugar.

That was the reasoning for Life as opposed to Bran Flakes and other choices.

Of course it's not perfect. It's a government program.
But I don't believe they're trying to make kids sick. They're just trying to get as much nutrition into as many children as possible
Bs. Kids eat what's available. Especially hungry kids. And especially kids whose taste buds haven't been corrupted by sweet everything. Obviously a kid who's used to vanilla almond milk and life cereal will only want that. But if all they ever had was unsweetened almond milk and bran flakes, they should have no problem eating it. They are perpetuating a problem.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 10:50 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Last I checked greek yogurt is not covered by wic. I wish. Lakewood based

Check again
Mehadrin plain Greek (large container) is covered in Lakewood nj
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries