Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Need book recommendations
Previous  1  2

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:39 pm
scruffy wrote:
It's a good recommendation I can't think about any inappropriate scenes, but there is some avodah zara to be aware of in Greenwitch.

The King Arthur legend does factor in a little, so he might be missing some pieces if he's not familiar with it yet. Still worthwhile.

I think there may have been something in Silver on the Tree about a rape and a baby. Love the series though.
There's also lots of Celtic mythology, churches, xmas, etc.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:51 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
I think there may have been something in Silver on the Tree about a rape and a baby. Love the series though.
There's also lots of Celtic mythology, churches, xmas, etc.

What you are remembering is from The Gray King. No actual rape, it basically mentions that the bad character thought a woman (who came out of time with her baby) was "light" and "available for taking" and it is written so obliquely that it will go completely over a younger reader's head. Any xmas stuff is mainly in The Dark is Rising (book #2) and focuses on the celebration part only, no religion--it's mainly the setting because of the time of year.
I understand that some people are super strict about what they let their kids read, but I do think most people that allow their kids to read carefully selected secular books will not have an issue with this series.
As I said, it was in my BY middle school library. If I had read the books as an 8-10 year old, I think the stuff mentioned above would completely have gone over my head, and I wasn't a particularly sheltered child/reader.

ittsamother

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 9:55 am
amother Bronze wrote:
I'd love to hear more! Always on the lookout for more clean books for my kids. Most of these we've read, but definitely not all of them. Do you have a GoodReads account, by any chance?

I don't have a GoodReads account, no.

Alright, here are some more:

Little House on the Prairie series, and the ones about her husband growing up.

Sarah Plain and Tall, and the rest of Patricia Machlachlan's series.

Anne of Green Gables series, though as she gets older the storyline gets more mature as well. Always clean though.

The Doll People series by Anne M Martin.

Shiloh series, I don't remember exactly how clean it is or not, I definitely read it as a kid. Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

The Twenty-One Balloons was very interesting

Eva Ibbotson has a LOT of great clean imaginative books for kids, she has a few more mature ones so don't get mixed up

All-of-a-kind family series

Edith Nesbit's books, and definitely Edward Eager's books- I believe he was influenced by her.

Betsy-Tacy series

Voyage of the Basset series

Margaret Peterson Haddix has great books but I don't exactly remember their level. Like Running Out of Time, and The Hidden, I believe are clean, I don't know for sure everything else is.

Charlotte's Web

Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air, and other younger books by Diana Wynn Jones.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:51 am
4th grade dd also reads above grade level but we want to avoid mature themes. Here are some books she liked.

- Harry Potter series
- The Worst Witch series
- Half Magic series (Edward Eager)
- Enid Blyton's books: The Magic Faraway Tree series,and The Wishing Chair series, maybe others
- Percy Jackson was recently recommended to us, but dd hasn't read it yet. Has lots of Greek mythology.
- Narnia series (Christian themes will go over their heads)
- The Borrowers series
- A Wrinkle in Time series (some don't like the one with the twins and the flood because it is biblically inaccurate. You can just skip that one or read it anyway).
- Danny Dunn series
- Maybe Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew
- The Secret Garden
- A Little Princess

And don't worry about books with history that your child doesn't know about. That is how dd learnt about history.

geuzunt

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:05 am
My kids loved the City Spies series by James Ponti

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:11 am
Enid Blytons books!
She wrote tons of books and they're clean
Secret 7 series, Famous 5 series and many more!

GLUE

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 12:08 pm
The great brain series-John D. Fitzgerald

When the tripods came-John Christopher

Will Hobbs has books that are clean that he might enjoy

The Leviathan Trilogy- Scott Westerfeld

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 12:30 pm
tigerwife wrote:
What about the Charlie Bone series?
The Lemony Snicket books didn’t end well but the style of writing is so great. I remember learning so much from it.

I was going to suggest the Charlie Bone series. Also the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 12:34 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Enid Blytons books!
She wrote tons of books and they're clean
Secret 7 series, Famous 5 series and many more!

I found that they're getting a little old fashioned in terms of language used and the plot lines. 'the gay curtains' and 'queer old man' or just generally different grammar that is slightly different.
There's also swallows and amazons by arthur ransome-there's more books in the series as well.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 4:39 pm
tigerwife wrote:
What about the Charlie Bone series?
The Lemony Snicket books didn’t end well but the style of writing is so great. I remember learning so much from it.

The Lemony Snicket books ended perfectly imo, but you have to be a little cynical to appreciate them.

ittsamother

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 5:39 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
The Lemony Snicket books ended perfectly imo, but you have to be a little cynical to appreciate them.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong because it's been a while and I did not read it carefully cuz by that time I was thoroughly fed up, but didn't he just kill everybody off and never answer any of the major questions floating around throughout the entire series?

Deep Blue

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 11:37 pm
Nobody mentioned the Indian in the cupboard series...
How about Pollyanna? I dont remember exactly but should work for this age.

Deep Blue

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 2:21 pm
City of ember (I dont like the other books in series)
My friend flicka

newmommy22

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 2:36 pm
My daughter just asked for the "the one and only ivan". It's a three book series
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics