Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Please read below before voting. Guest no precut TP
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

See OP
A  
 19%  [ 34 ]
B  
 80%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 171

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 4:01 pm
Most people flush single-ply tissues down the drain without a problem. Unless it’s a really old house or the host asked you not too, why would you assume tissues are a problem?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 4:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
And what if they are the Kleenex or the Kleenex 3 ply?
Do we assume if you can afford fancy tissues you don’t have plumbing issues and if you do you can afford to fix it?

So lesson learnt for future - don't put these kinds of tissues in your bathroom in case guests don't realize. And make sure to have stacks of pre-cut toilet paper as well.

I'm not sure I would think to check what ply they are to be honest.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 4:20 pm
Op do you live in a house where your system can't handle tissues? If yes, either inform guests, hang a sign, don't keep tissues in bathroom, make sure to put loads of pretorn tp.

Also tp can be no different. If you can't handle tissues, you can't handle some good charmin tp either. Just don't keep nose blowing type tissues in the bathroom. Keep cheap ones there and good ones in bedrooms.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 4:23 pm
amother Puce wrote:
What did you ask this question for anyway? Seems like you had some agenda here.

This is nothing to do with financial loss or bedieveds. Most toilets can handle a one-off flush off tissues, so if one is caught unaware then they would use that option if no cut toilet paper is available.

Also, if this is all my host provided, I would assume that this is what is expected to use. Many people just use tissues on Shabbos.

If yours can't even cope with a one-off instance of this, either make sure to always have ample cut toilet paper available or hang up a notice to that affect.

This. Many guest suites have a sign in the bathroom stating what can be flushed. Otherwise I will assume simple Tissues are OK since every old house I've lived in was able to handle flushing tissues.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:38 pm
I voted A because in my neighborhood everyone has old pipes and septic tanks, and tissues are not compatible!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:50 pm
I HIGHLY doubt your guest started making cheshbonos in the bathroom about tearing toilet pepper bdieved vs. your unknown plumbing issues.
The responsibility here is on you to let your guests know that your toilets can’t handle tissues.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:52 pm
I would never rip on Shabbos if there was something else to use.

And I wouldn’t assume you would put something in your bathroom if your plumbing couldn’t handle it.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:54 pm
I have toilet paper and tissues in my bathroom. If we are having any plumbing issues, I would remove the boxes of tissues from the bathroom.
I would consider it my fault if a guest causing plumbing issues with tissues I provided.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 10:20 pm
This is the most random thread ever. Most houses I've been to can handle tissues no problem. If they can't handle tissues then they have big signs and the bathrooms telling you. And addition, most people I know keep tissues in the bathroom or extra toilet paper in the bathroom for guests.
In my house, we use tissues all the time even during the week. However, if my house would not be able to handle tissues, I would not have them in the bathrooms...

themom

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 10:35 pm
If there are tissues in the bathroom, I would assume they’re meant to be used (unless specifically told otherwise). We flush Kleenex all the time and never had an issue. Why assume there are plumbing issues?

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:08 pm
Did you tell your guests that your toilet can't handle tissues? Do you have a garbage can in your bathroom? Did you offer your guests cut toilet paper?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:34 am
amother OP wrote:
So I am understanding that it is better to possibly do harm to someone else’s bathroom and cause them financial loss than to do something bideved.
So interesting

As an owner of a sensitive plumbing system *you* have a basic responsibility to make sure your guests have precut TP.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:59 am
amother Dill wrote:
Did you tell your guests that your toilet can't handle tissues? Do you have a garbage can in your bathroom? Did you offer your guests cut toilet paper?

Will this question ever be answered? I believe it's been asked a few times.

OP, yes or no, did you make your guest aware that your toilet cannot handle tissues?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 3:48 am
WhatFor wrote:
Will this question ever be answered? I believe it's been asked a few times.

OP, yes or no, did you make your guest aware that your toilet cannot handle tissues?

Because seriously here, what kind of person risks someone wrecking their plumbing by putting a product that will wreck it in their bathroom without either telling the guests or putting a sign up?

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 4:28 am
amother OP wrote:
So I am understanding that it is better to possibly do harm to someone else’s bathroom and cause them financial loss than to do something bideved.
So interesting

Where did you get this from? I see responses saying that if the host left tp in the bathroom and didn't say anything, it can be assumed the plumbing can handle tp. Not that "it's ok to cause someone financial loss" as you're saying.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 5:00 am
AYLOR

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 6:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Do we assume if you can afford fancy tissues you don’t have plumbing issues and if you do you can afford to fix it?

We assume that a host wouldn't cause themselves financial harm by setting up a situation where a an unsuspecting guest could unwittingly create a problem. As everyone else said, the onus is on the host.

We also have problems with our system handling tissues. Therefore, we do not have tissues in the bathroom (and do have them almost everywhere else), and we have prominently displayed boxes of ripped TP that I refill every m"sh. We also try to inform guests, and now, after reading this thread, I will add signs.

I would never dream of blaming a guest for a septic problem, especially if I was remiss in not preparing the bathroom properly.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 6:54 am
amother OP wrote:

I would assume that whatever is in the bathroom can be safely used in the toilet

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:20 am
This thread is eye-opening. We always keep pre-cut TP in the bathroom and also tissues for people to blow their noses. Maybe I should take the tissues out of the bathroom in case people think that they’re OK to flush.

Edited for typo

Last edited by BH Yom Yom on Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:22 am
exactly this
we keep tissues in the bathroom for nose blowing
and precut in there for flushing
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note