Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
The yiddish stories we read by eichuh
Previous  1  2  3  4

Trademark

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:06 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
We listen on a hotline and that’s the one they read. From the tzena irena. Do you know of someone who reads the one you’re referring to? Never heard of it. Is it the exact same stories with the regular Yiddish?
ETA I think you’re talking about the one I have. Because there was something even older. But even this is not enough for today’s girls. It’s not the same grammar and vocabulary as they speak or read in children’s books printed recently.

Mine is easy to read and understand.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:11 pm
Trademark wrote:
Mine is easy to read and understand.

For me it’s also, but I feel my kids need a more updated Yiddish to be able to follow along.
For example: imgebrent should be geharget
Dernuch should be nuchdaim
I don’t have it in front of me but tons of examples. It’s full of words my kids never use or hear. Who still says dernuch when they talk?

Trademark

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:15 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
For me it’s also, but I feel my kids need a more updated Yiddish to be able to follow along.
For example: imgebrent should be geharget
Dernuch should be nuchdaim
I don’t have it in front of me but tons of examples. It’s full of words my kids never use or hear. Who still says dernuch when they talk?

Why do we have to dumb it down for them? Most literature is much more formal than spoken language. I think it's a good thing to be able to read a good Yiddish, there is a lack of good, Heimish Yiddish literature.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:19 pm
Trademark wrote:
Why do we have to dumb it down for them? Most literature is much more formal than spoken language. I think it's a good thing to be able to read a good Yiddish, there is a lack of good, Heimish Yiddish literature.

I don’t consider it dumbing down. Only more updated. The whole grammar and vocabulary is not amazing. I’d want a good writer to redo it. Probably not enough of a demand since it’s only used once a year. I’ll also forget about it tomorrow. I was just bothered by it now because my kids tried following along but couldn’t keep up.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:40 pm
Artistmom wrote:
yes my grandfather told us these stories first hand how others tried convincing him that he has to as well or there is no chance of survival, how they started cutting a body they thought was dead for meat and the man groaned dont cut im still alive. he never did actually do it but most of the others did have to resort to cannibalism for survival.

thats a horrific story Sad
ive definitely also read abt ppl eating dead bodies, maybe it was in the book the choice by dr edith edgar. I think that was in the camps though. dont remember. but yea it for sure happened.
horrilbe horrible horrible.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:43 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
I don’t consider it dumbing down. Only more updated. The whole grammar and vocabulary is not amazing. I’d want a good writer to redo it. Probably not enough of a demand since it’s only used once a year. I’ll also forget about it tomorrow. I was just bothered by it now because my kids tried following along but couldn’t keep up.

agreed. when I was younger I would usually space out a few minutes in cuz it was hard to follow along. the last few yrs I tried being a mature adult but it was hard.

now I just got a voicenote recording of some guy reading it straight from the gemara with translation.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
agreed. when I was younger I would usually space out a few minutes in cuz it was hard to follow along. the last few yrs I tried being a mature adult but it was hard.

now I just got a voicenote recording of some guy reading it straight from the gemara with translation.

Finally someone gets it.

Trademark

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

Maybe they should make a child friendly version.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:49 pm
Trademark wrote:
Maybe they should make a child friendly version.

That’s exactly what I’d want. But doubt there’s enough of a demand for one day.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 10:53 pm
My problem with the student stealing his teacher's wife is: What is WRONG with the wife??
Is she a piece of property that can be stolen?? How was she okay with this? Why did she agree to marry him? Why didn't she tell her husband what happened so he shouldn't divorce her?
And how in the WORLD could she sit there and have her ex-husband serve her and her new husband who FOOLED her ex-husband into divorcing her?
She doesn't get a voice in the story. Does she have a brain and feelings, or is she just something pretty in a dress??!!
Even if she didn't like her husband and agreed to the whole story, wouldn't her ex-husband serving her and crying through it be totally awkward for her?

Maybe it's my 2023 feminist self talking, but were women really SO disregarded?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note