Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 20  21  22  Next

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 8:11 pm
Your whole post cracked me up!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 8:12 pm
Um....I was dating DH for two months at the time and didn't yet know how to cook which was not a secret. His mom sent a gift for me one day. An apron......

Exploding anger

mom21n2

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 8:16 pm
it's a tie between:
lucite coasters with stamps inside, and
a really ugly and strangely shaped glass container thing

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 8:17 pm
Some of these gifts actually sound fun to me, as I love kitsch.

Kmommy18

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:27 pm
This post really has me rolling.... LOL

Oh and for my strangest gift, dh's grandmother (who is frum btw) got my ds a pair of reindeer pajamas with a small santa on the pocket... What in the world was she thinking?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:34 pm
Flag amother here.

Fox wrote:
Oh, dear! I thought I'd win hands-down for sure, but I think that flag . . . thing . . . trumps my Othello jug. Do you think it was intended as a throw blanket or designed to be flown at half-mast?

I don't know... that Othello jug is pretty strange. Seriously!

cassandra

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:36 pm
I think Othello would win if only the flag amother was American. The fact that she isn't throws it over the top.

Another wedding gift we got was some sort of Amish lantern thing, with a card in it reading "Happy Hannuka Dave! From the girls at the office, sue, mary,......" Be careful if you re-gift.

mimivan

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:42 pm
A date once gave me a little bottle of bubbles with a wand. He said it was because I made a remark on the last date that he considered childish, and since I was so childish, I should spend my time sitting and blowing bubbles....

obviously, I never went out with him again.

mimivan

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:44 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
We got an antique-looking bell on a rope as a wedding present. We still can't figure out why or what we are supposed to do with it.

We grew up in the country and had someting like that...it was our dinner bell...my mom would ring it and say "Come and get it!"

Wouldn't really work in an urban setting, though...(don't know where you live rutabaga) or even in the suburbs..perhaps it is just decoration

mimivan

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:48 pm
Fox wrote:
That would be the Othello toby jug we received for our wedding. Since it defies normal description, I searched for a picture. Little did I know that I could dump it on Ebay for $95! Of course, I'd hate to lose it as a conversation piece.

To give some perspective, it stands about 9-10" tall with a similar diameter. For a long time, I kept pencils, pens, rulers, and similar school supplies in it. I'd put it on the dining room table every afternoon for homework. My kids will probably be in therapy for years!

You mean it didn't come with a matching Iago and Desdamona? Oh wait...isn't the handle Iago..? Looks like he's plotting something..

wow,where do they find this? I love nutty stuff like this! (although I am sure dh would make me get rid of it)

BTW my grandfather had a Jug made of a W.C. Fields head. Yes, I had weird dreams about it..

Wait a minute...an Othello Jug as a wedding present! How disturbing! LOL

Last edited by mimivan on Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

heffer569

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:48 pm
in my life I have gotten very many weird gifts but the two weirdest were. For my bat mitzva my aunt gave me a wooden bracelet that said babies first bracelet hello it was my bat mitzva which means I was 12.
Secon my MIL who is very yeshivish gave me for my kids for chanuka a gift certificate to go get their picture taken on santa's lap at the mall uh hello what am I supposed to do with that.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:49 pm
Flag amother again.

One Chanukah we got this box from my grandfather-in-law. It contained:

Two men's watches. Grandpa had told me he was sending one watch for me and one or dh. They look like they have been pulled out of his own drawer of things he no longer wears. Both are scratched up, besides the fact that I won't wear a men's watch.

Two very thin, long gold chains with small gold charms, also obviously not new. Grandpa said they were for our 2 daughters. Our daughters are aged 2 and 5. They will just break these, and the chains are so long, I doubt they will be appropriate before they are teens.

Also included:

A pair of weird cufflinks. The cufflinks have what look like writhing human bodies on them. Dh doesn't have anything with which to wear cufflinks, but okay. They look like something else decluttered from grandpa's drawer.

An old "World Radio". It works, but only gets local stations, hmmm.

A 2-CD set of Israeli music. Again, this is not new, and I suspect it has come out of grandpa’s personal collection.

A small digital clock. Looks like something from a dollar store, or from grandpa's junk drawer.

A single new-looking (although without tags) blue hand towel.

A random power cord that does not go with any of the other items in the box.

Three yarmulkes. One is white with silver embroidery. It looks old and like something one would wear at a wedding. I wonder where he got it. The other two are small leather yarmulkes, with other people's names on the inside. One says it belongs to "LIOR". No one in the family named Lior. I wonder where he got these two; did he raid the "free yarmulke" basket at his synagogue???

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:51 pm
heffer569 wrote:
Secon my MIL who is very yeshivish gave me for my kids for chanuka a gift certificate to go get their picture taken on santa's lap at the mall uh hello what am I supposed to do with that.

What???

Last edited by BinahYeteirah on Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

dillie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:53 pm
I would like to thank you all for posting these. I am literally laughing out loud. it's a good thing there is no one in the room with me.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:00 pm
Flag amother here. I thought of another one from good ol' Grandpa.

Okay, it's not that weird, but still...

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:01 pm
Heffer and flag amother, you are really cracking me up.

Hoo boy.

Rolling Laughter

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:03 pm
When I was teaching I got a gift from a student- a defuzzer ("pimple machine"), to take the pimples off of sweaters and tops. I thought it was wierd, but it was actually very useful, I ended up using it a lot, cause I cant stand pimply sweaters. I would have never thought to buy such a thing.

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:05 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
We got an antique-looking bell on a rope as a wedding present. We still can't figure out why or what we are supposed to do with it.

Ring in the cows - moo...mooo....

heffer569

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:10 pm
another weird gift I got was a jewish pink troll. it was pink with blue hair and had white and blue tzizis and yarmulke. We got it for a wedding gift from a non religious co worker of Dh. I didnt even know they made these anymore and who gives a doll as a wedding present.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:13 pm
I got a wedding day barbie at my bridal shower.

I also got a set of salt/pepper shakers and matching napkin holder that resemble the chiquita banana woman's hat.. *shudder*

fortunately, I found someone who actually liked those...
Page 3 of 22   Previous  1  2  3  4 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics