Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can't afford food
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:35 pm
We are literally living paycheck to paycheck. We had SNAP for a while but recently stopped getting it. Before SNAP we hardly made ends meet. Now we definitely can't, all food goes on credit card. DH works hard and I just had a baby so I'm home.
Im just venting. Really not looking for advice like eat rice and beans (I buy a lot of fruits and veggies, and the one real splurge is cutlets because that lasts for a lot of meals). I shop around for the cheapest stores (Costco for the cutlets and cheese, Aldi for produce, Walmart for basics, I go to the kosher store maybe once a month for just 4 basic things that I stock up on.). Thank G-d we get chicken on the bone and chopped meat from the food pantry.

Just venting. I almost wish we made a little less so we can get SNAP again (we make about 1k too much) but that's an awful cycle to be stuck in because then I can never work. Also DH doesn't want to ask for a lower salary for the time being because he wants to be able to move up eventually.

Anyone else in this boat?

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:58 pm
If your in NY check the food stamp card you got for your kids lunches covid time. They recently refilled it.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:59 pm
Btw I’m so sorry your going thru this. We are also extremely tight right now. Like I got a letter from the gas company if we don’t pay up it’ll be turned off. No clue how we’ll pay it. Hope things turn around for you

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:59 pm
Can you get WIC?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:01 pm
amother Sage wrote:
If your in NY check the food stamp card you got for your kids lunches covid time. They recently refilled it.

I'm not in NY. But I got that in July. Money is long used up

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:01 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Btw I’m so sorry your going thru this. We are also extremely tight right now. Like I got a letter from the gas company if we don’t pay up it’ll be turned off. No clue how we’ll pay it. Hope things turn around for you

Same boat! Thanks for relating

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:03 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
Can you get WIC?

Ya but it gives $20 a month for fruits/veggies. And it covers milk which is nice. And one container of yogurt a month. And two boxes cereal. So it's a little something but really only a drop in the bucket.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:22 pm
amother Sage wrote:

I owe a lot to water/sewer. Electric I just put on credit card so we don't get shut off. Thank G-d gas is still on HEAP. I owe $900 to the dentist and $800 to county taxes, plus credit cards (which is for spending that we needed like food, cat repairs, etc). No idea how to pay any of them. We can't even do a payment plan because we have literally nothing extra. So food goes on the credit card and it kills me every time. But we need to eat.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:24 pm
amother Sage wrote:
what?! How were we supposed to know?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:35 pm
OP I feel for you I also put utilities on cc because they were going to be turned off although I do get foodstamps it's not enough I have a large family bh and always go over food is expensive these days I have $200 in my bank account and cc bills to pay

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:50 pm
I was in the same boat a few years ago, and I was a complete mess. It was very difficult.

I am now in an even worse 'boat', with way less income. I am not a complete mess BH. Over the years, I learned and studied about bitachon, and I worked on myself. It's a complete gamechanger. I know it's hard to fathom, I know there are cynics. But at the end of the day I get what I need, especially food, I buy on Hashem's cheshbon. He has so much money, and there is nothing to worry about. How much you earn is not related to how much you can get from Hashem. He has millions of ways to send you food, but if you worry or rely on a specific source you will not see it. If you are calm and know you are in His hands, you will see the bills get covered. It works.

So last time when I was 'poor', I tried to strengthen myself with Emunah, and told myself everything is Bashert, this is for the good, I really worked on this. And it's true, it is bashert, but I didnt realize that at the same time I can just relax and see money/food/clothes/rent from other ways, not just from my employers paycheck. Saying 'it's bashert' is really for after the fact, when I look back I can say this is what Hashem wanted, but while I am in it, I could still pray and believe that It will come. I dont have to be sad because my food stamps used up, because there's plent left in my Father's account.

So this time, I strengthen myself with bitachon, calm myself down, remind myself that Hashem has enough, and talk to Hashem. Tell Him what I need and that I'm relying on Him. Not on my boss, not on my raise, not on the lottery.

It's a lot of work but it's the only option. And you should do this even if you're rich. Because it's all from Him.
I encourage you to Learn some chovos halvavos or a bitachon sefer! lot's of luck!

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:19 am
It’s so so hard I feel you completely. Wishing you a lot of bracha with increased income!

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:24 am
amother Sage wrote:

Got this letter too and dh called them and worked out a payment plan that'll come off our bill for the next year. Our water actually got shut off and didn't want to risk a shutoff again...

Honestly, with everything going up (some doubling), from food prices to energy costs to tuition, and wage increases not even close to matching the price spikes, it's impossible for anyone who was just making it to be okay these days. Especially during this very expensive time of year.

You're not alone, op.

I get sick to my stomach thinking about how I'm going to pay tuition this year...and the first checks will be due in just a few days. Gulp.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:33 am
Find a way to increase your income asap.
Don't spend on anything that you can find without spending money.(go to gemach for clothes, call tomchei shabbos for food,get uniforms from school gemach...)
Hopefully this is a temporary situation.
Reach out to your kids school to explain what's going on.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 5:42 am
amother Begonia wrote:
I was in the same boat a few years ago, and I was a complete mess. It was very difficult.

I am now in an even worse 'boat', with way less income. I am not a complete mess BH. Over the years, I learned and studied about bitachon, and I worked on myself. It's a complete gamechanger. I know it's hard to fathom, I know there are cynics. But at the end of the day I get what I need, especially food, I buy on Hashem's cheshbon. He has so much money, and there is nothing to worry about. How much you earn is not related to how much you can get from Hashem. He has millions of ways to send you food, but if you worry or rely on a specific source you will not see it. If you are calm and know you are in His hands, you will see the bills get covered. It works.

So last time when I was 'poor', I tried to strengthen myself with Emunah, and told myself everything is Bashert, this is for the good, I really worked on this. And it's true, it is bashert, but I didnt realize that at the same time I can just relax and see money/food/clothes/rent from other ways, not just from my employers paycheck. Saying 'it's bashert' is really for after the fact, when I look back I can say this is what Hashem wanted, but while I am in it, I could still pray and believe that It will come. I dont have to be sad because my food stamps used up, because there's plent left in my Father's account.

So this time, I strengthen myself with bitachon, calm myself down, remind myself that Hashem has enough, and talk to Hashem. Tell Him what I need and that I'm relying on Him. Not on my boss, not on my raise, not on the lottery.

It's a lot of work but it's the only option. And you should do this even if you're rich. Because it's all from Him.
I encourage you to Learn some chovos halvavos or a bitachon sefer! lot's of luck!

Thanks. I learn bitachon daily. It's the only thing that keeps me going.

I still don't have money for food though. I do know it's how Hashem wants it to be right now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 5:45 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Find a way to increase your income asap.
Don't spend on anything that you can find without spending money.(go to gemach for clothes, call tomchei shabbos for food,get uniforms from school gemach...)
Hopefully this is a temporary situation.
Reach out to your kids school to explain what's going on.

Wow so helpful thanks. How would you like me to increase my income? Who says I don't go to gmach for uniforms and clothes? DH is not a taker and refuses for me to call tomchei shabbos. And I never said anything about school. This was about food. Please read the post before responding.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:01 am
If you don’t have enough food you need to call tomchei Shabbos. That’s what they’re here for. WIC gives a ton more than what you listed…
Or you can prioritize paying for food, and put the rest on the credit card.
If you are really desperate then you need to get a job sooner than later.
Been there and done that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:07 am
amother Ruby wrote:
If you don’t have enough food you need to call tomchei Shabbos. That’s what they’re here for. WIC gives a ton more than what you listed…
Or you can prioritize paying for food, and put the rest on the credit card.
If you are really desperate then you need to get a job sooner than later.
Been there and done that.

Wic does not give much more. My baby is one, but had a lot of doctors appointments so I've been home with her this school year. I hope to start working now that kids go back to school, but then if I get a job I lose medicaid.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:09 am
Tomchei Shabbos, RSK, or similar. Your situation is what these organizations are here for.

Where I live in Monsey, there are food pantries once a week or so that anyone can access. Do they have that where you live?

I recently heard of a government program that is currently paying outstanding utility bills. Maybe someone else has a link.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Wic does not give much more. My baby is one, but had a lot of doctors appointments so I've been home with her this school year. I hope to start working now that kids go back to school, but then if I get a job I lose medicaid.

I get almost $100 a month in fruits and veggies, tons of shredded cheese, 4 dozen eggs ( not a large family)

But yes, good luck and hope you find a job that works for you. If you live in Lakewood, babysitting makes a ton of money.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics