Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Monsey girls high schools

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:44 am
Can someone please list all the high school options in monsey for litvish (middle - right wings - just plain frum ) crowds.
With brief descriptions about the type of school, and how hard to get in.
Thank you.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:52 am
I dont really have much info to share, but just to get things rolling on your thread I can give you the names of the schools:

BY Monsey
BY Ramapo
Breuers (aka BY D'rav Hirsch)
Pe'er
Shiras Miriam
Ateres

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:11 am
Bnos

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:15 am
Pe'er I know many fine families sending

Shiras Miriam my understanding is that it's catered to the very Yeshivish

BYR small warm school .

gottago

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:35 am
To add to the list. Ahavas. Great BY type school. Mostly Not yeshivish families. Only 9th and 10th so far.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:20 am
gottago wrote:
To add to the list. Ahavas. Great BY type school. Mostly Not yeshivish families. Only 9th and 10th so far.

Thank you, do you know if its hard to get in?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:58 am
gottago wrote:

Would you know if its true that ahavas is very academic? Not looking for a place that gives crazy amounts of homework and reports like when I was in highschool, I never left my room, had no time to shmooze with my mother...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 2:45 pm
Yes it seems to be.

amother Fuchsia wrote:
Would you know if its true that ahavas is very academic? Not looking for a place that gives crazy amounts of homework and reports like when I was in highschool, I never left my room, had no time to shmooze with my mother...

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:52 am
I just went thru this because my oldest applied to high schools last year, and we went to every open house to see what each school was about.

Bais Yaakov Monsey- Big school, many different parallel classes, community school that’s been around forever, is well equipped with resource room if you’re looking for that.

Bais Yaakov Ramapo- Smaller school, only one class per grade, warm, non-pressuring feel. Extremely hard to get into since classes are small and alumni’s children and sisters have automatic spots.

Ateres Bais Yaakov- Similar school in that it is also only one class per grade, also extremely warm and non-pressuring. Amazing principals and teachers who teach to serve Hashem out of ahava, not just fear. Lots of college courses offered, but still non-pressured. Impressive yomei iyun and extracurriculars. Not as hard to get into as BYR.

Pe’er- Seemed like the school had a very elitist attitude to me, although I know some nice families who sent there. Good education. Reminds me of a Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim high school.

Shiras Miriam- Very warm school, very much to the right, very yeshivish crowd, has moved more to the right since it first started. Known for being not as academic as some of the other bais yaakovs.

Ahavas Bais Yaakov- New school, in its second year. First year it took only YSV girls, second year it took mostly YSV girls with just a handful of girls (4/5) from a few other schools. First class (current 10th grade) has a reputation for being very snobby, but I think that the school wants to move away from that for future classes. English principal seems amazing.

Breuers- Prides itself on being very academic. Both English and Hebrew principals changed last year and it seems like they’re trying to figure themselves out still. Very very small school. It seems that a lot of people who would have gone here (had older sisters here) are now sending to Ahavas instead.

Good luck!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:17 pm
Wow this is so helpful!! Thank you so much for taking the time to type this up.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:02 pm
What happened with breuers? It used to be considered a top school.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:32 pm
Can someone who has a daughter in either BY Ramapo or Ahvas BY share how much homework their daughter has, how intense the schoolwork is?

Also, whats their technilogy and phone policy?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Almond wrote:

They had a few years where they had a not so great rep, and now theyre going back up again I think

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:20 pm
amother Almond wrote:

We love BYDRH. It's an excellent, warm school and my daughter thrives there. IMO, the level of hashkafa is less than Ramapo and Pe'er but higher than Ateres and Ahavas. The principals are both fantastic and it's academic but not crazy so. They also have a huge emphasis on chesed and girls have volunteer hours each year. It's worth considering.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:19 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Can someone who has a daughter in either BY Ramapo or Ahvas BY share how much homework their daughter has, how intense the schoolwork is?

Also, whats their technilogy and phone policy?

If you’re considering those two schools, a piece of advice: don’t mention to BYR that you’re also applying to Ahavas BY. Bais Yaakov Ramapo looks down on both Ahavas and Breuers and will not accept a girl who says that she is applying to either of those two schools. Regarding your question about cellphones, BYR allows only filtered flip phones for 12th grade (they have a list of acceptable flip phones that can be filtered), no phones before that. Ahavas doesn’t have any policy about phones

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
If you’re considering those two schools, a piece of advice: don’t mention to BYR that you’re also applying to Ahavas BY. Bais Yaakov Ramapo looks down on both Ahavas and Breuers and will not accept a girl who says that she is applying to either of those two schools. Regarding your question about cellphones, BYR allows only filtered flip phones for 12th grade (they have a list of acceptable flip phones that can be filtered), no phones before that. Ahavas doesn’t have any policy about phones

Is this a question thaylt they would ask on an interview? Which other schools we've applied to?

amother
Daisy

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:26 pm
My daughter is in BYR and also applied to Ahavas. So did many of her friends apply to both places and they’re in BYR too so I don’t think thats accurate info above. I don’t even remember them asking where else we had applied at the interview. Ahavas is also a great school, we were very impressed by them. So far very happy in BYR! It’s a Very warm and happy school. They allow phones in 11th and 12th grade.
(Ahavas allows phones but they need to be filtered thru the school)
In any event, OP do your own research. Check out the open houses and you’ll get a feel for each place. Don’t rely on random people online.
Hatzlocha with your decision.

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:20 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Is this a question thaylt they would ask on an interview? Which other schools we've applied to?

I know one of my friends daughters did not get in to BYR because, when the parents left the room, they asked her where else she was applying and she answered Breuers as one of the choices. I heard the same is true of Ahavas, but I don’t know anyone who actually ended up answering that. My friends daughters who applied to both BYR and Ahavas all knew beforehand not to mention Ahavas when asked where else they were applying, so it didn’t end up being a problem for them (even though they didn’t into BYR for anyway just because it’s so competitive to get into)

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:13 am
Thanks for taking the time with that thorough response. Out of curiosity, where did you end up sending?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:38 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
We love BYDRH. It's an excellent, warm school and my daughter thrives there. IMO, the level of hashkafa is less than Ramapo and Pe'er but higher than Ateres and Ahavas. The principals are both fantastic and it's academic but not crazy so. They also have a huge emphasis on chesed and girls have volunteer hours each year. It's worth considering.

Yes, BYDRH/Brueurs is definitely returning to its place as a "top school" (as someone earlier asked).
They had a few rough years but now they have classes of really great girls again. I met a few girls who go there and talked to them about their experience and I was so blown away by how much they love their school.
Per them: Close knit, very down to earth friendly girls, real feeling of achdus, amazing principal Mrs Ashenberg, normal rules that dont feel old school, solid and frum but not extreme.
I also spoke with the principal for a good hour and got an amazing vibe. Solid, frum education without the narishkeit. And she REALLY sounded like she loves all her students.
Definitely considering it as a top choice for my daughter next year IH
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries