Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What food from your home country...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:18 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Kedem is cheaper?! Last time I was in osher ad Kedem was wayyyy more expensive than any other grape juice.
What do you do with the cranberry sauce?

Kedem is 1.89 liters per bottle vs Israeli brands at 1l per bottle. I don't know what the prices are right now, as I stopped using it, but when I used to buy it, the price was about 25sh per bottle, which came out to less than 15sh per liter. Even at 28sh per bottle, it's less than 15sh per liter.

I use cranberry sauce for my meatball sauce and for turkey roasts. I know it's a luxury, but worth it for me.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:24 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Kedem is 1.89 liters per bottle vs Israeli brands at 1l per bottle. I don't know what the prices are right now, as I stopped using it, but when I used to buy it, the price was about 25sh per bottle, which came out to less than 15sh per liter. Even at 28sh per bottle, it's less than 15sh per liter.

I use cranberry sauce for my meatball sauce and for turkey roasts. I know it's a luxury, but worth it for me.

Kedem is around 32-34 NIS these days AFAIK.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:29 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Starkist in America is solid white and here is chunk light. Light is way healthier here (fraction of the mercury content), but also doesn't taste as good. (Not that I've had white tuna since I was last in US almost a decade ago.)

B&D natural peanut butter is also so much more delicious and healthier than the Skippy with added sugar and oils.

So there's a reason to bring American tuna as there isn't any solid tuna to find in Israel.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:30 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Kedem is around 32-34 NIS these days AFAIK.

Good to know! I just google searched and see that it can still be bought in some stores at 28sh per bottle. (Also, for those buying Israeli grape juice, many, but not all, of the cheaper Israeli grape juices have added sugar in them -- check for the red סוכר בכמות גבוהה symbol.)

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:31 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
What about Vegemite?

Ashamed to admit it but I've gotten Americanized (ised?) and no longer really like vegemite TMI you may revoke my citizenship but please get me a toasted crumpet with some margarine first!!

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:33 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
So there's a reason to bring American tuna as there isn't any solid tuna to find in Israel.

Yup. I don't know if the solid is such a big difference in the taste as much as the white vs. light. But white isn't available here as far as I know. (Maybe in specialty stores, or American supermarkets?)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:36 pm
Not food but I bought Goo Gone from the US and had my BIL to bring it to Israel. Around 8-9 USD vs around 80 New Israeli Shekels for a bottle and then I had to travel to Jerusalem to get it too!
Excellent product
Same with press n'seal which doesn't exist here and indeed is useful.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Ashamed to admit it but I've gotten Americanized (ised?) and no longer really like vegemite TMI you may revoke my citizenship but please get me a toasted crumpet with some margarine first!!
Margarine? Why not butter?

Reality

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:45 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
*Can* only drink Kedem or *will* only drink Kedem because of taste?
How about buying the Israeli gefilte fish but not telling them it's Israeli? Unless they are the ones who cook it, why should they know?

Will only drink kedem. None of us can swallow a sip of Israeli grape juice. We just can't get used to the taste.

When we first moved here I tried a bunch of different brands of gefilte fish. I finally found one Israeli brand we all thought tasted good. Then it was out of stock for a while. By the time it was back in stock, my family was used to the American type again and nobody wanted to eat the Israeli one again.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:46 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Israeli gefilte fish is made with carp, totally different taste and texture than American whitefish.

Come to think of it, you are right!

Reality

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:47 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Yup. I don't know if the solid is such a big difference in the taste as much as the white vs. light. But white isn't available here as far as I know. (Maybe in specialty stores, or American supermarkets?)

They have it in some stores in RBS for a very high price, 12-15 NIS a can. It's not always in stock so clearly people buy it.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:50 pm
amother Maize wrote:
I can't think of anything. Yes, the stuff from the old country may be a bit better, but I refuse to be a spoiled brat and eat XYZ only from there, unless it's a product that does not exist here at all and is crucial to an important dish. I can't think of anything like that. I prefer to adapt my cooking and eating habits to my current environment.

When my dd went to sem, she had friends packing enough cans of solid white tuna to last till they came home for Pesach. Talk about your spoiled Americans! Israeli tuna is not great; too bad. Either get used to it, learn to doctor it up so it's edible, or do without and learn to eat something else. I gave dd a jar of American peanut butter and some Ritz crackers, not because Israeli pb is bad, but because I figured she would need something to grab immediately upon arrival before having a chance to buy anything in the makolet.

I am most definitely NOT a spoiled brat. Thank you.
I make extreme sacrifices to live in Israel and one cost of living here is the higher price of American food which I buy because I like it. I BH have a gfeat job and work hard and can afford.
I am in no way a spoiled brat because I spend more on american products!

That being said leet me think off the top of my mind what I buy
Ketchup, mustard, duck sauce, bbq sauce, marinades, dressings, gefilte fish, gatorade
I found many alternatives to American products that taste the same but are Israeli brand so my list has greatly decreased over the years Smile

Reality

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:50 pm
amother Maize wrote:
I can't think of anything. Yes, the stuff from the old country may be a bit better, but I refuse to be a spoiled brat and eat XYZ only from there, unless it's a product that does not exist here at all and is crucial to an important dish. I can't think of anything like that. I prefer to adapt my cooking and eating habits to my current environment.

When my dd went to sem, she had friends packing enough cans of solid white tuna to last till they came home for Pesach. Talk about your spoiled Americans! Israeli tuna is not great; too bad. Either get used to it, learn to doctor it up so it's edible, or do without and learn to eat something else. I gave dd a jar of American peanut butter and some Ritz crackers, not because Israeli pb is bad, but because I figured she would need something to grab immediately upon arrival before having a chance to buy anything in the makolet.

I agree for the most part. Yet there are a few things that I'm willing to spend on. I think it's ok to have a little attachment to some old home foods.

Reality

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:52 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
I am most definitely NOT a spoiled brat. Thank you.
I make extreme sacrifices to live in Israel and one cost of living here is the higher price of American food which I buy because I like it. I BH have a gfeat job and work hard and can afford.
I am in no way a spoiled brat because I spend more on american products!

That being said leet me think off the top of my mind what I buy
Ketchup, mustard, duck sauce, bbq sauce, marinades, dressings, gefilte fish, gatorade
I found many alternatives to American products that taste the same but are Israeli brand so my list has greatly decreased over the years Smile

I also buy American brown mustard. I don't they sell Israeli genuine mustard.

Reality

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:57 pm
This wasn't a thread to put down food from any country. I've had guests whose kids won't drink kedem grape juice because they only like the Israeli type. It's just whatever you are used to.

There's been so many food threads lately, I thought this could be a fun twist on the previous threads.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 5:09 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Margarine? Why not butter?

Are you Australian? I don't know why but we never really had butter growing up, maybe it was hard to get it CY in Melbourne? Not sure.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 5:26 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Are you Australian? I don't know why but we never really had butter growing up, maybe it was hard to get it CY in Melbourne? Not sure.
Totally a good reason!

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:

B&D natural peanut butter is also so much more delicious and healthier.

It's the best! We bring it back from Israel 😀

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 5:51 pm
Thomy mayonnaise! For a while Bingo was carrying it here in NY but now we had to go back to importing.. also dried apricots that are sour/sweet..

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Here's what I WISH I could get in the states, from Australia to be precise: meat pies and crumpets!! I would pay good money for it...

Trader Joe's has crumpets. I make my own meat pies. And I've paid a fortune for vegemite on Amazon.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics