Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Do Jewish men think about the Roman empire?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

synthy

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:09 pm
Hmm, my dh isn’t the type to ponder anything.
Otoh, just yesterday I was thinking out loud why cesarean sections are named that way.

GLUE

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:32 pm
synthy wrote:
Hmm, my dh isn’t the type to ponder anything.
Otoh, just yesterday I was thinking out loud why cesarean sections are named that way.

I don't know why C-sections are called that, but I do know it's not after Julius Ceaser

Ceaser salad was named after the cook that thought of it, his last name was Ceaser

synthy

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:34 pm
GLUE wrote:
I don't know why C-sections are called that, but I do know it's not after Julius Ceaser

Ceaser salad was named after the cook that thought of it, his last name was Ceaser

But Julius Ceaser might’ve been named after a c-section.

Quote:
The history of caesarean section (C-section) dates back as far as Ancient Roman times. Pliny the Elder suggested that Julius Caesar was named after an ancestor who was born by C-section. During this era, the C-section procedure was used to save a baby from the womb of a mother who had died while giving birth.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:40 pm
Its wierd but I do think about the roman empire sometimes. When I was younger I always wondered how such a mighty empire could litterally diseapear, but when I see what is happening to america these days, its not that implausible that a mighty nation could self destruct.
Dh, I dont know. Probably less often that me.

Giraffe

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:45 pm
Probably the difference between Jewish Men and non-Jewish men is that since we Jews were directly hurt by Romans when Jewish men are thinking about Rome it is how horrible they are. And even then Jewish men have other more valuable things to think about so it is not all the time.

Non-Jewish men probably just love the glory of war, being able to rule over empires, and some other stereotypical things men love so they like to think about Rome often in a positive way.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:00 pm
amother Quince wrote:
She’s not. And everyone finds it so funny that they look and talk alike. Google it.

OMG, I also thought her hand gestures were similar to his but was wondering if it's my imagination. I guess it's not.

GLUE

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:24 pm
Giraffe wrote:
Probably the difference between Jewish Men and non-Jewish men is that since we Jews were directly hurt by Romans when Jewish men are thinking about Rome it is how horrible they are. And even then Jewish men have other more valuable things to think about so it is not all the time.

Non-Jewish men probably just love the glory of war, being able to rule over empires, and some other stereotypical things men love so they like to think about Rome often in a positive way.

I was reading some Herstory(history-his story, herstory-her story)and the author was saying the Mongols are known in Western history as wild barbarians, yet there was a saying that when the Mongols ruled Asia,
That a women can walk from one end of the Kingdom to the other with a pot of gold on her head.

What it meant is that the roads when the Mongols ruled Asia were safe for a women to walk without being molested. You can't say the same about the Romans yet many people men and women don't think about it this way.

Giraffe

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:34 pm
GLUE wrote:
I was reading some Herstory(history-his story, herstory-her story)and the author was saying the Mongols are known in Western history as wild barbarians, yet there was a saying that when the Mongols ruled Asia,
That a women can walk from one end of the Kingdom to the other with a pot of gold on her head.

What it meant is that the roads when the Mongols ruled Asia were safe for a women to walk without being molested. You can't say the same about the Romans yet many people men and women don't think about it this way.

Makes sense men would think fondly of history more than women in general. Most of history was not kind to women so why would women think fondly of certain empires.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:40 pm
Just curious what do Heimish Jews say about the Colosseum and Arch of Titus is that something that is ok to visit or better not?

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 10:54 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
Is this girl related to Ben Shapiro? She looks eerily like him.

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:32 am
GLUE wrote:

Genghis Khan and his sons were so notorious for rape that something like 10% of men in the former Mongol territories have his family's DNA. Everywhere he ruled was expected to contribute girls to his harem (one town was famously punished by mass rape for failing to meet the quota). There was also the part where his troops would often slaughter women alongside men whenever they took a new city.

Maybe Mongol women could walk around with gold on their heads, or maybe Khan opposed rape when it involved peasants (just not for himself). But it definitely wasn't a good time to be a woman.

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:39 am
Honestly I don't get why women are supposed to be so surprised that men think about the Roman Empire. Between Roman numerals, the current popularity of greek and roman myths, roman-style architecture, the fact that Roman history is the best-preserved and best-known in most of the 'western' world (there's no early middle ages equivalent of the Colosseum)(and there are Roman ruins everywhere from Israel to Spain), the massive role Rome played in the origin story of Christianity, the entire civil law system... IDK there's like a million ways for Rome to come up in passing.

I probably think about ancient Rome a couple of times a week. Albeit mostly because it's mentioned somewhere and not spontaneously, but still.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 2:31 pm
I think it depends on how you define “think about the Roman Empire”. Think about things that are Roman in origin? Sure, all the time. But I don’t think about it in context of “the Roman Empire” and I think this is what’s so confusing to women.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 2:53 pm
Because this is all based on self-reporting, it doesn't necessarily mean that men think about the Roman empire more than women do - it could mean that men are more likely to overstate their answers while women understate, or it could mean that men think of themselves as thinking more... weak research

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 2:54 pm
Funny, teenage ds has read a few history books on the Roman Empire.

GLUE

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:05 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Genghis Khan and his sons were so notorious for rape that something like 10% of men in the former Mongol territories have his family's DNA. Everywhere he ruled was expected to contribute girls to his harem (one town was famously punished by mass rape for failing to meet the quota). There was also the part where his troops would often slaughter women alongside men whenever they took a new city.

Maybe Mongol women could walk around with gold on their heads, or maybe Khan opposed rape when it involved peasants (just not for himself). But it definitely wasn't a good time to be a woman.

Thanks for that info I really don't know anything about that era. Could also mean that the regular bandit's that countries had at that time did not exist

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:07 pm
I asked DH and he said all the time. I had a feeling he was pulling my leg, and sure enough, he had heard about the trend of asking and was indeed pulling my leg 😂 His real answer is that he thinks about it as often as he thinks about the beis hamikdash, or when the Romans are mentioned in whatever he happens to be learning. He really only ever thinks about it in a Jewish context, which it comes up a fair amount, but not necessarily every day. I probably think about it a fair bit, maybe more than him, as I'm both a history nerd and a language nerd.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:19 pm
When I first came across this trend I thought it was so weird and untrue but after a moment I realised that I think of the Roman empire pretty often at least weekly!!!
I'm a history nerd and have read a few books about the Roman empire.
I live in the England which was part of the roman empire and there are a number of Roman roads around including near my house, there are also Roman ruins in London that I have visited and some remaining Roman aqueducts around the UK.
That is besides for thinking about the churban and Roman occupation of the Jews Herod and different people who pop into my head seemingly at random...
Also there are loads of Latin phrases and word origins which also make me think of the Romans.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:29 pm
"A precursor of pizza was probably the focaccia, a flatbread known to the Romans as panis focacius, to which toppings were then added."

Given that most of us probably eat pizza pretty often, I would say most of us think about it pretty often . Speaking for myself, whenever I eat pizza or other Italian food, I do think about it's origins.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:33 pm
I think about the Roman Empire when I'm in the Old City because there are so many Roman ruins, but I definitely don't think about it on a general basis!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics