Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you consider yourself poor, wealthy, or in between?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you consider yourself poor, wealthy, or in between?
Dirt Poor  
 2%  [ 10 ]
Poor  
 17%  [ 64 ]
Comfortable  
 33%  [ 124 ]
OK (in between poor and comfortable)  
 40%  [ 147 ]
Wealthy  
 5%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 366

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 5:23 am
Wrote comfortable but we don't own a home and can't see owning one soon (living in Jerusalem so the down payment is very high). But other than that we have enough for our expenses most months and can usually put some money away (not necessarily during the summer when paying for camp or chagim). But we'd never make it in the US on the salaries we have here!

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 5:49 am
עיניים, שיניים, ידיים, רגלים
עשיר

So I’m wealthy. No complaints. A lot of faith. A little money Smile
My kids are healthy
My husband and I are healthy
Credit card debt, high mortgage, high living expenses, live paycheck to paycheck and money just comes when we need it.

I love the people who write about their expenses and vacations and camps and wigs and manicures defining their poverty or income level.
My kids have hand me downs, don’t go to camp, vacation is not even a subject in our book, what’s a manicure? My husband and son get haircuts before holidays, my daughters never do, they get new shoes when they need and have each the amount of clothing that will last them a week with one or two things for shabbos.
I don’t buy anything for myself, yet don’t feel the need to.
We have food on the table and don’t stress about it. I have company often, and enjoy every second and penny spent.
Our a/cs or heat run as needed all the time and we live like normal people.
The money is from God. If you’re supposed to have it, you will. If not, not. I’m not gonna kill my self over debt. And if my kids need something, they’ll have it whether or not there’s money for it.
It’s a mindset.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 5:51 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Wow! I thought I was poor until I read this.

The poster you’re referring to, covers her tuition and has no cc debt. You thought her post is the poorest it gets?!
I wish I was that “rich”.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:14 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
The poster you’re referring to, covers her tuition and has no cc debt. You thought her post is the poorest it gets?!

She’s not poor, she’s frugal.

I put down ok because we are covering everything and putting into savings and going away often BUT once we buy a house Hashem knows…

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:29 am
amother Jade wrote:
I think that it's interesting that 2 people can make the same and one can feel dirt poor and one rich. It depends on many factors how you feel.

I voted ok. Some days I feel so rich because I'm bh not in debt. I bh don't need to get to others. I bh bh thank you Hashem everything I need and more.

And some days I feel poor. Because we aren't putting away a lot in savings. And I worry how we will manage in the future.

It all depends on the person’s expenses. One could have whopping medical bills , and sky high tuitions and the other could have 3 tuitions that amount to only one for the other person. So there is really much much more to the picture then how much a person earns.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:33 am
Quote:

thanks for your interest! The $110k is gross. Let me have a go...

1. BH tuition committees are all understanding. So altogether we pay about $35k in tuition right now for 7 kids.

2. mortgage payments are low, we live OOT and bought about 20 years ago when house prices were more reasonable. so its about $1250/month which is about $15k per year. this includes property taxes which are not so high in the county we live in BH. Also, our house is not huge, we fit in it BH but its not spacious. Maybe about 1700sq ft but we're fine and we're happy Smile

3. Medical insurance - kids are eligible for medicare. We pay about $500/month for dh and I for insurance with high copays and out of pockets but BH its been a good year and hopefully Hashem will continue to keep us healthy that we shouldn't need doctors too much! Annual = approx $6k

4. We have one car, so car insurance is not crazy. car is old and cheap which also makes cost of insurance lower. About $140/month = $1680/year

5. I get my sheitel washed maybe every 4 months @ $65/time. wow its gone up so much recently!

6. utilities = approx $400/month = $4800/year

7. mikva = $30/month = $360/year

8. put in savings for my kids each month - $25 each. Total $175/month = $2100/year

9. retirement fund savings = $250/month = $3000/year

10. phone and internet expenses for all family members = $190/month = $2280/year

11.groceries = omg its gone up so much. probably about $1800/month, $21600/year more when its yomtov time.

12. gas = about $250/month = $3000/year

13. camp = approx $5000

diapers, toiletries, tissues etc
clothing
tzedaka -

It's when the extras happen that its hard! BH as I said, Hashem always seems to make things work out in the end!

Just did the math, it's not adding up. This comes out to $100,000 and you're saying 110k is your gross income, so after taxes it's less.
And you left a bunch of categories blank at that bottom... What

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 8:33 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Quote:

thanks for your interest! The $110k is gross. Let me have a go...

1. BH tuition committees are all understanding. So altogether we pay about $35k in tuition right now for 7 kids.

2. mortgage payments are low, we live OOT and bought about 20 years ago when house prices were more reasonable. so its about $1250/month which is about $15k per year. this includes property taxes which are not so high in the county we live in BH. Also, our house is not huge, we fit in it BH but its not spacious. Maybe about 1700sq ft but we're fine and we're happy Smile

3. Medical insurance - kids are eligible for medicare. We pay about $500/month for dh and I for insurance with high copays and out of pockets but BH its been a good year and hopefully Hashem will continue to keep us healthy that we shouldn't need doctors too much! Annual = approx $6k

4. We have one car, so car insurance is not crazy. car is old and cheap which also makes cost of insurance lower. About $140/month = $1680/year

5. I get my sheitel washed maybe every 4 months @ $65/time. wow its gone up so much recently!

6. utilities = approx $400/month = $4800/year

7. mikva = $30/month = $360/year

8. put in savings for my kids each month - $25 each. Total $175/month = $2100/year

9. retirement fund savings = $250/month = $3000/year

10. phone and internet expenses for all family members = $190/month = $2280/year

11.groceries = omg its gone up so much. probably about $1800/month, $21600/year more when its yomtov time.

12. gas = about $250/month = $3000/year

13. camp = approx $5000

diapers, toiletries, tissues etc
clothing
tzedaka -

It's when the extras happen that its hard! BH as I said, Hashem always seems to make things work out in the end!

Just did the math, it's not adding up. This comes out to $100,000 and you're saying 110k is your gross income, so after taxes it's less.
And you left a bunch of categories blank at that bottom... What

oh gosh, I'm sorry! I meant it's POST TAX! Sorry!

As for the categories at the end, we try to look for cheapest of everything. Buy clothing cheap stores as needed. Tzedaka we give as much as we can afford at the time.

but yes, I agree that nothing makes sense. But as I said, somehow Hashem always seems to make everything work out. We always seem to manage to pay the credit card bill. our bank account doesnt usually get overdrawn BH.
Just when we are about to get overdrawn somebody could zelle me money that they owed me, or my husband could get an extra tutoring job, or our medical insurance company could send us a refund, or my mom would send me $200 for a Yomtov gift. Or my husband could get a gift from a couple of students for Purim. (we don't teach in the kind of school where everyone gives gifts all the time)As I said, it doesn't always make sense. But I try to stay calm and everything is ok.

We don't have credit card debt, but we do have a HELOC which is how we pay for simchas and big expenses like replacing the fridge when it breaks etc. Then we pay it off $100 a month for a few years. But unfortunately the interest on that HELOC is currently 10% which is awful!

Whatever. The money is from Hashem, if my mindset is calm, appreciative and happy then yes I am wealthy! Smile

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 8:36 am
DH would probably say we are comfortable, but I would say wealthy. I grew up with a lot less than he did, so perceptions are relative.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 8:46 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
עיניים, שיניים, ידיים, רגלים
עשיר

So I’m wealthy. No complaints. A lot of faith. A little money Smile
My kids are healthy
My husband and I are healthy
Credit card debt, high mortgage, high living expenses, live paycheck to paycheck and money just comes when we need it.

I love the people who write about their expenses and vacations and camps and wigs and manicures defining their poverty or income level.
My kids have hand me downs, don’t go to camp, vacation is not even a subject in our book, what’s a manicure? My husband and son get haircuts before holidays, my daughters never do, they get new shoes when they need and have each the amount of clothing that will last them a week with one or two things for shabbos.
I don’t buy anything for myself, yet don’t feel the need to.
We have food on the table and don’t stress about it. I have company often, and enjoy every second and penny spent.
Our a/cs or heat run as needed all the time and we live like normal people.
The money is from God. If you’re supposed to have it, you will. If not, not. I’m not gonna kill my self over debt. And if my kids need something, they’ll have it whether or not there’s money for it.
It’s a mindset.

BH

Lots to be grateful for we all have Lots to be grateful for.

Us too paycheck to paycheck, hand-me-downs, full tution and a high mortgage every month are our priorities,living simply with some nicer yomtov meals sporadically we're all satisfied and BH our kids are happy. Menachas hanefesh and simchas HaChaim are how we evaluate how rich we are who is rich one who is happy with whatever they have.

I remember a cute story my little sister heard a story about a millionaire in school and came home asking my father if we're rich and my dad said yes BH my sister 6 yrs old at the time was happy to hear and it's a mindset. You can teach yourself and family to be happy with whatever you have. 😊

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 8:51 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Total gross income abt 170k. I chose poor since we live paycheck to pay check and have cc debt. We would be ok if we didn’t have to pay tuition Confused

It's the tuition for us as well.
We'd be more than fine without it (or significantly less)

Eta: we don't have a lot of kids! 4 in school/yeshiva. It's the older boys fees that are crippling us. BH I'm not complaining it just is what it is.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 9:04 am
Quote:
oh gosh, I'm sorry! I meant it's POST TAX! Sorry!

That makes much more sense!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 9:15 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:

That's what I wanted to know as well. And I think it's fascinating to see how some people would say they are 'poor' and others would call that 'comfortable'. I assume it's all based on what community/lifestyle you are part of

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 9:18 am
It's all relative to what your neighbors have.

American poor have luxuries that even a king 100+ years ago didn't have

AC, indoor toilets, electricity, most "poor" have a car.

Biggest problem for American poor is obesity!

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 9:22 am
#BestBubby wrote:

While poor people nowadays have access to a lot more calories than poor people in the past, food quality is also an issue. So poor people are malnourished as a result of poverty even though they're not starving. Indoor toilets are something we take for granted, but technically they're not that meaningful in terms of health and overall well being.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 9:41 am
#BestBubby wrote:

That statement really exhibits a lack of awareness, understanding, and knowledge of food insecurity. I work with a truly indigent population, and yes childhood (and adult) obesity is really correlated with poverty and not having ones material needs, including food, met.

Sitting on the sidelines and reading the newspaper, it’s really hard to understand other people’s situation. It’s so important that we don’t judge others from our own perspective, as we don’t know enough about them or where they are coming from.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 9:58 am
Lots of you would consider me wealthy but being around actually wealthy people in living in a very expensive area means I can buy what I need/want but don’t spend without a cheshbon. We’re buying a house now and most of our savings are going into building it. IYH after that hopefully we can invest.

Reality

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:07 am
You will never get an accurate response from people. On another thread I remember reading how one poster felt so strapped and she runs to pick up free food that is posted on local chats. Yet at the end of her post she said they put away $30,000 into savings every year.

Feeling rich or poor is a mentality. Some people will never feel financially secure no matter how much they have.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:12 am
amother Babypink wrote:
BH

Lots to be grateful for we all have Lots to be grateful for.

Us too paycheck to paycheck, hand-me-downs, full tution and a high mortgage every month are our priorities,living simply with some nicer yomtov meals sporadically we're all satisfied and BH our kids are happy. Menachas hanefesh and simchas HaChaim are how we evaluate how rich we are who is rich one who is happy with whatever they have.

I remember a cute story my little sister heard a story about a millionaire in school and came home asking my father if we're rich and my dad said yes BH my sister 6 yrs old at the time was happy to hear and it's a mindset. You can teach yourself and family to be happy with whatever you have. 😊

This so much this. We do a mixture of hand me downs and new clothes. I think it's important for kids to feel like they fit in, so sometimes we buy new, if we don't find appropriate hand me downs. Hashem gave us what we need, including our debt. One of my kids only eats frozen pizza, yes it's a huge expense but for whatever reason she needs it now. So I leave that up to Hashem even though it goes on credit card. B"H we have all the stuff that matters. The debt is Hashems debt. He can take it away any day.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:37 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
While poor people nowadays have access to a lot more calories than poor people in the past, food quality is also an issue. So poor people are malnourished as a result of poverty even though they're not starving. Indoor toilets are something we take for granted, but technically they're not that meaningful in terms of health and overall well being.

Yes, food quality is poor, but most poor are not starving or going hungry if obese.

Americans spend Billions $$$ on welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, section 8, free school breakfast and lunches, for poor. In addition to private charities.

And flush toilets and running water is one of the biggest health improves of 20th century.

Ended cholera, frequent diarrhea and other diseases that were rampant among poor before toilets and running water.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:54 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
Financially poor
Blessings rich
This for me too, I don't feel it's right to say that I'm poor since we have food, shelter and clothing, however, according to the poverty level we are definitely very poor.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics