Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Please can someone be kind - post whole spelt fluffy challah
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 8:53 pm
recipe?

tia.

meeze

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:20 pm
3 T salt
5 pound flour
1 and 1/4 cup warm water with 3 oz yeast together with 3/4 cup honey

Wait 30 minutes to poof

2 and half cups warm water
1 cup oil
4 eggs

tweety1

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:29 pm
Chezchaya on instagram has a delicious recipe with regular flour. I follow that recipe using fresh yeast and white spelt. It's beyond delicious!!

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:36 pm
Any recipes without honey? My dd recently found out she can have spelt, but still no honey (low FODMAP). She had a yummy bakery challah for Shabbos, but we’d love to make our own. I was gonna post asking for a recipe tonight, then came on & found this thread.

dveikus

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:37 pm
EDITED: Sorry, I have a new computer and I can't find my old recipe in my files. I should have checked first - sorry!

Last edited by dveikus on Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:39 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Chezchaya on instagram has a delicious recipe with regular flour. I follow that recipe using fresh yeast and white spelt. It's beyond delicious!!

I don’t have insta. If it doesn’t have honey, could you post a pic here, please?

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:39 pm
dveikus wrote:
OP please PM me for my recipe.

Does your recipe have honey? If not, can I also pm you?

meeze

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:47 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Any recipes without honey? My dd recently found out she can have spelt, but still no honey (low FODMAP). She had a yummy bakery challah for Shabbos, but we’d love to make our own. I was gonna post asking for a recipe tonight, then came on & found this thread.

Check online honey to sugar substitute ratio

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:57 pm
meeze wrote:
Check online honey to sugar substitute ratio

In theory that works but I’ve found that specifically in challah, it’s not that simple & it can really affect the taste & texture.

amother
White

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:04 pm
I don't do spelt but I do white and whole wheat flour. And use the same.rwcipe I use honey for whole wheat and sugar for white same amounts. Always works perfectly....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 4:55 am
thanks everyone for taking the time to post.

specifically WHOLE SPELT. which recipe can I use?

would also love to minimise sugar/honey

but still want yummy fluffy challos.

asking too much I guess.

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 5:00 am
You are asking too much. Whole grain anything is less fluffy than white. On top of that, spelt flour has less gluten than wheat flour so it's a denser flour. A whole spelt challah is just not going to be fluffy like a white wheat challah.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 5:01 am
Reality wrote:
You are asking too much. Whole grain anything is less fluffy than white. On top of that, spelt flour has less gluten than wheat flour so it's a denser flour. A whole spelt challah is just not going to be fluffy like a white wheat challah.

ok so lets leave the fluffy.

if the nature of ancient grain is not be fluffy let it be so.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 5:41 am
Reality wrote:

Was about to write that. Whole grains just don't go fluffy. However, they can make lovely soft and chewy challot with the right moisture content.

married123

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 8:56 am
I have used cooking with tantrums recipe. I have used white soles and whole spelt and it came out amazing!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:44 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Was about to write that. Whole grains just don't go fluffy. However, they can make lovely soft and chewy challot with the right moisture content.

is it the whole grains or the ancient wheat? like white kamut - wont it also be dense cos its ancient grain even if its white?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:48 pm
married123 wrote:
I have used cooking with tantrums recipe. I have used white soles and whole spelt and it came out amazing!

which recipe?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:59 pm
amother Denim wrote:

I had the same issue before. Just sub for sugar or brown sugar.
BTW I only found out til later - I kept getting horrible symptoms after challah even without FODMAP ingredients until I realized the yeast was giving me issues as well as the minimal quantity of gluten in the challah. I use a very small amount of yeast now or sub for baking powder or try to eat only limited smaller quantities of challah during shabbos. I also take supplements during meals to help digestion. It’s recommended to only stick to whole spelt for those on a FODMAP diet as opposed to white spelt.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:01 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:

Personally I’ve made white soft fluffy challah with white spelt- it is highly dependent on the right moisture content and kneading and a proper rise after braiding.

happyness

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:03 pm
Op, I make the spelt challah recipe on the grain brain spelt flour bag.

I find it scrumptious and fluffy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics