Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Full meal 9x13 to freeze
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:48 pm
What are meals that you can freeze together in one pan and just need to put it in the oven before serving?
The only things I want to have to do with it in order to have supper ready, is "add X cups of water", "place in oven at X temp for Y hours", "uncover" if needed, and MAYBE "defrost in fridge overnight". (I'd write those instructions on the cover. But nothing more than that, like "add cubed potatoes/frozen broccoli" "serve with sauce"...that won't happen.)
Protein and starch are must-haves, vegetable is a big plus, but let's assume that can come from other meals/snacks of the day or from a soup that I'll freeze separately.

I don't care as much whether I have to precook the food or if I'm putting everything in the pan raw, and I can prepare the food in separate pans/pots before freezing-it just all needs to be frozen and reheated in one 9x13.
Also, for sizing purposes (because it does need to be that size pan specifically): I usually use 1.25-1.5lb of protein (chicken cutlets, ground meat...) for that type of meal.
Our typical meals are based on chicken legs, chicken cutlets, ground meat, dairy pasta, pizza dough, or green lentils.

On a related note-what's the size of zip bags that fits a whole 9x13 inside?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:50 pm
https://betweencarpools.com/mo.....-day/

The 2 lb ziploc bags, or cheaper Jewish brand challah zipper bags, fit a 9x13 pan.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 8:23 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
https://betweencarpools.com/mommys-chicken-the-dinner-you-pop-into-the-oven-before-you-leave-for-the-day/

The 2 lb ziploc bags, or cheaper Jewish brand challah zipper bags, fit a 9x13 pan.

I have the same concern that people described in the comments on that recipe...that the potatoes won't be good after freezing. Have you tried it?
Thanks for the suggestions and bag info!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 8:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have the same concern that people described in the comments on that recipe...that the potatoes won't be good after freezing. Have you tried it?
Thanks for the suggestions and bag info!

I tried it. The potatoes were weird but good lol. It's definitely a good dish to have in the freezer.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:47 pm
Big yummy lasaaaagne!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:19 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Big yummy lasaaaagne!!

At what point would you freeze it-Fully baked? noodles cooked?

Thinking sheperds pie, bake uncovered... I've defrosted mashed potatoes just fine as long as I heat it until all excess liquid is out. Problem with these meals is having multiple foods together.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:11 am
any other ideas?

agreer

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:13 am
Lasagna - I'd freeze fully baked. Same for baked ziti.

agreer

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:14 am
I know you requested 9x13, but would you do big hearty soups with carbs, veggies, and meat/chicken? So yummy and filling.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:15 am
Burgers, but obviously you freeze a package of buns separately. Does that count? I also like to make soups. Can include chicken or meat/meatballs, or just split pea, lentil, or bean soups have plenty of protein. Add barley if you really want a non vegetable starch. Or serve with crackers or bread/ rolls from the freezer.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:19 am
Spaghetti and meatballs, or meatballs and rice

Chicken and rice

Quiche with frozen vegetables

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:24 am
You can do ground beef with rice.

Cook rice as usual, amount that you would need.

Sauté an onion in oil, add ground beef and keep breaking it up till no longer pink. Add spice- salt, garlic, pepper, oregano, paprika. Add in 1/2 cup of ketchup or tomato sauce. Sometimes I’ll add a tiny drop of liquid smoke, but not necessary. You can also roast diced red peppers until soft and add it in for a veggie.

Cool everything. Layer first rice then beef in 9/13 and freeze.

Defrost , then bake covered for about an hour in low temp, adding 1/4 cup of water around the sides to prevent it from drying it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:28 am
amother Chicory wrote:
Burgers, but obviously you freeze a package of buns separately. Does that count? I also like to make soups. Can include chicken or meat/meatballs, or just split pea, lentil, or bean soups have plenty of protein. Add barley if you really want a non vegetable starch. Or serve with crackers or bread/ rolls from the freezer.

It "counts" as a good idea Smile it just won't work for me because I'll never be able to find the buns when I need them!
I'm going soups separately, but they aren't going in my pile of 9x13s.

ETA: I appreciate all suggestions and maybe they'll be useful one day (to me or someone else). However, to serve my current need, it really does need to fit the critera: a single 9x13 pan with the entire meal that can be frozen and reheating together. Lasagna, rice and ground meat...will work great!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:35 am
amother OP wrote:
It "counts" as a good idea Smile it just won't work for me because I'll never be able to find the buns when I need them!
I'm going soups separately, but they aren't going in my pile of 9x13s.

Put them in a ziplock bag inside of the pan with the burgers.

Or in a separate pan, labeled "Burgers A" and "Burgers B".

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:37 am
You can also freeze breaded schnitzel ready to bake , add into the 9/13 a bag of cooked orzo with veggies.

aimhabanim

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:41 am
Chicken pot pie

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:43 am
rice beans and cheese casserole

eggplant parmasean

baked ziti

cheese lasagna

Mac n cheese casserole (I use blended tofu in the cheese sauce for protein)

chicken cacchiatore and rice - cook separately, freeze together. includes veggies

meatballs and rice - same I structions as the chicken cacchiatore

meat lasagna - includes veg

meat and noodles - beefaroni - includes veg

You can freeze raw chicken and dry uncooked rice with spices and add water to cook it straight out of the freezer in the oven. with or without veggies

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 11:57 am
Pan of breakfast burritoes (freeze raw, but soak first)
Ziti
You can freeze raw pizzas in a 9X13 pan (maybe a couple of them in shallow pans, depending on how many you're feeding?).
Chili frozen with pasta underneath
Stir fried rice freezes okay, not as good as fresh, though.
Beef stew with carrots and parsnips and sweet potatoes, but not potatoes (they don't taste right when defrosted)
Chicken with carrots and sweet potatoes underneath

ima22

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:42 pm
Meat lasagna/ziti with sautéed or roasted veggies.
Cook pasta according to package directions
Sautee ground beef until fully cooked, season well
Sautee or roast vegetables (small pieces). For example onion, carrot, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini , broccoli, cauliflower.
Mix all above cooked items in a 9×13 with Marinara sauce. Cool and then freeze.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:46 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Big yummy lasaaaagne!!

OP, I find pasta takes a really long time to defrost/reheat fully. Longer than chicken, let’s say. Just keep in mind to allow enough time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics