Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
(Poll) When did you sleep train your baby?

When did you sleep train your baby
Before 6 weeks  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Before 3 months  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Before 6 months  
 19%  [ 16 ]
Before 9 months  
 14%  [ 12 ]
9 months +  
 15%  [ 13 ]
Never  
 46%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 84

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:40 am
I have a newborn and can't wait for the day when I'll be able to sleep train her. Not talking about 10 hours, more like 6-8 hours. When did you train yours and how?
Thank you

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:42 am
I sleep train from when they're born by getting baby used to healthy sleep patterns and routine. I don't call it sleep training. It's just getting baby used to routine and healthy sleep patterns.
All of my babies, besides for 1, slept 8 hours by 6 weeks bh.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:42 am
My first one Trained herself at 8 weeks

My 2nd is 3 and is resistant to sleep training and wakes most nights

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:43 am
amother Ruby wrote:
I sleep train from when they're born by getting baby used to healthy sleep patterns and routine.

Can you elaborate? I'm really interested to learn how you do it. How many consecutive hours do you get at night?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:43 am
Between 5-6 months. I like the book Precious Little Sleep for sleep advice. We did sort of controlled crying-- check-ins at intervals.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:45 am
My now 2 year old slept 6-9 hours every night when he was newborn- 9 months.
Now he still doesn’t sleep through the night

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:46 am
I don't think I ever did official sleeping training.

When baby was a newborn I fed on demand or every 2-3 hrs.

As baby grew up, the time between feeding increased and I dropped night feedings.

Then when I got to 1 night feeding, I dropped that when baby seemed ready.

From then on, I comforted baby as needed when he woke up. Switching him to his own room helped. Keeping a consistent night routine helped too.

I was losing it from exhaustion but eventually je figured it out and slept through the night around 18 months.

My other child just slept through on her own from around a month old.

BrooklynBee

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:22 am
I did sleep training at 14 months. I did the sleep lady shuffle. My baby was waking up every 1.5- 3 hours to eat because she didn't know how to fall asleep w/o nursing. The goal of sleep training is that they should fall asleep on their own. When you help a baby fall asleep, they wake up in the night and need you to recreate whatever you did to help them fall asleep in the begining of the night. Once they fall asleep on their own you can do less food each night or go cold turkey when it's age appropriate .

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:33 am
I did it in stages. Different times with different kids.

I tried not to go every single time they kvetched, would give them a few minutes first to see if they would settle. From birth.

At a few months old they usually became hard to put to bed. At that point I let them cry it out just to get to sleep initially, usually just took a night or two, and then they were fine with that. Still woke at night.

At some point they went from waking up a couple of times at night to waking up more often than worked for me. I couldn't function like that. So at that point I trained them to sleep through the night, at least most of the way. Probably around 5 months or so, maybe 6, depended on the baby. I might still wake up once to feed them, or might offer an early morning feed to them to get a bit more sleep.

And then at some point a few months later, I would either help them drop that last feed, or they would drop it on their own.

This is what I did for my last few. My first was a horrible sleeper, and I had no idea what I was doing. I thought it was cruel to cry it out. But I was an awful mother (and wife, and worker, and neighbor, and friend...) on so little sleep. So glad I figured out later on that baby would be fine after a night or two of challenge.

(One of my kids wasn't able to CIO -- it just didn't work. JUst putting that out there if posters have a kid and it isn't working as well as I said above. He's just wired differently, even today.)

BatZion

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:37 am
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
I'm grabbing an early seat for the drama y'all

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:41 am
I sleep trained between 4-5 months for each of my kids. But I didn’t do it with the expectation of them going a very long stretch - I still nursed them 2-3 times a night at first. It was mainly to get them falling asleep independently and sleep a predictable 5ish hour chunk at the start of the night. Sleeping through the night came later, around a year, for us.

Elilove

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:50 am
Let me tell you sleep training by 4-6 months is WAY easier than sleep training older babies. I can not stress this enough. At that age you can even go for 10 hours.
Also like a previous poster said establishing a good sleep pattern and bedtime routine from when they’re born helps out SO much. (Some things that you can do from newborn age is making sure your baby is on a good age appropriate schedule for the right amount of hours and not just eating and sleeping whenever…, putting them down when they’re drowsy but not fully asleep so they learn to put themself to sleep, having a good consistent bedtime routine- ex. Bath, pjs, feeding, book, song, bed…)
You’ll probably get negative posts regarding sleep training but pls do not pay any attention and do what is right for you and your baby. My baby was a very cranky, extremely hard baby for the first few months. Since he was sleep trained he’s a calm, happy kid. Also do your research regarding techniques and have a plan before you start and then stick to it even if it’s hard. The more consistent you are the faster it’ll take and at a younger age (4-6 months) it usually takes only a few days to start seeing results.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 12:45 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
I don't think I ever did official sleeping training.

When baby was a newborn I fed on demand or every 2-3 hrs.

As baby grew up, the time between feeding increased and I dropped night feedings.

Then when I got to 1 night feeding, I dropped that when baby seemed ready.

From then on, I comforted baby as needed when he woke up. Switching him to his own room helped. Keeping a consistent night routine helped too.

I was losing it from exhaustion but eventually je figured it out and slept through the night around 18 months.

My other child just slept through on her own from around a month old.

It’s all about temperament. If a baby is meant to sleep on their own they will eventually. Some just need more support and sleep training won’t even work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics