Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I am Satmar Chassidish AMA
  Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:24 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
you mean by zmanim you don't hold necessary of rabbeinu tam ?

Assume she means like zmanim for davening, zman krias shma, shkia

bebrave

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:26 pm
Do you hate zionists

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:26 pm
WHY ARE SATMAR PEOPLE SO OBSSESED WITH DESIGNER AND FASHION????????????

bebrave

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:30 pm
amother RosePink wrote:

Sounds quite attacking. Especially all the caps lock

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:31 pm
bebrave wrote:
Do you hate zionists

Absolutely not. My great grandfather was an ardent zionist and because of that my parents made sure we knew the satmar shita on zionism, unlike most Satmar chassidim these days
Even the Satmar Rebbe did not hate zionists. He was ideologically opposed to them and tried to fight them on their efforts to secularize the people and country.

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:35 pm
bebrave wrote:
Sounds quite attacking. Especially all the caps lock
I'm sorry for the caps lock... Was a mistake... I did not mean to attack anyone Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:35 pm
amother RosePink wrote:

There are those and then there are those.

I think the origin of this is that designer wear is/used to be better quality and finer cuts, and that greatly appealed to the Hungarian expats leading to a general obsession.

I also believe that when you remove the ability for women to learn and connect to Yiddishkeit in a meaningful way they are left with the domestic arts and they take it very seriously. That's why many satmar women are great housekeepers and cooks

bebrave

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:37 pm
I love that! Wish I knew more but don't want to bother you. I wonder where I can find more info online?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:39 pm
Do you iron your linen?

bebrave

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
There are those and then there are those.

I think the origin of this is that designer wear is/used to be better quality and finer cuts, and that greatly appealed to the Hungarian expats leading to a general obsession.

I also believe that when you remove the ability for women to learn and connect to Yiddishkeit in a meaningful way they are left with the domestic arts and they take it very seriously. That's why many satmar women are great housekeepers and cooks

And would it be considered disloyal for a satmar chasida to learn more about yiddishkeit in a meaningful way? There's so much content out there

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:44 pm
bebrave wrote:
I love that! Wish I knew more but don't want to bother you. I wonder where I can find more info online?

You are welcome to ask, I am not aware of anywhere online you can learn

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:46 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Do you iron your linen?

Depending on the set, but usually no

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:47 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
So was I. From home.
Are you a bessere fein shmeker?

lol I'm not remotely chassidish and I know what a fein shmeker is.
we use the term all the time

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:49 pm
bebrave wrote:
And would it be considered disloyal for a satmar chasida to learn more about yiddishkeit in a meaningful way? There's so much content out there

I don't think so. My parents always learned and connected and I've been learning and connecting more as I'm growing older.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Depending on the set, but usually no

do u iron underwear?

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm really sorry but I'm
A. Not playing dumb
B. Relatively attuned to Satmar culture, it's not the be all and end all of my existence
C. Satmar as can be
D. Super comfortable with myself and my background
But I still have no idea what your question was supposed to mean.

I think you need to more clearly identify yourself, such as Satmar Boro park, etc. Because otherwise, you aren't appropriately representing the large majority of Satmars.

The majority of satmar shave. Not too many wear shoulder length uncovered wigs. And (unfortunately) there is the obsession with designers. Such is the large group of Satmar Williamsburg, such is the large group on Satmar KJ, but the smaller group in Satmar BP is a bit different.

If you just simply say ' Satmar' and start discounting what others Satmar folks know very well to be truth, then you come across as disingenuous. If you're from the minority, you can find the right balance to speak to your truth while not hiding the larger truth. You'll come across as genuine while highlighting that the stereotype doesn't fit all.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:56 pm
How do those in the community who don't have a lot of money pay for expensive things like the super expensive hats etc..

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 8:04 pm
amother Fern wrote:
I think you need to more clearly identify yourself, such as Satmar Boro park, etc. Because otherwise, you aren't appropriately representing the large majority of Satmars.

The majority of satmar shave. Not too many wear shoulder length uncovered wigs. And (unfortunately) there is the obsession with designers. Such is the large group of Satmar Williamsburg, such is the large group on Satmar KJ, but the smaller group in Satmar BP is a bit different.

If you just simply say ' Satmar' and start discounting what others Satmar folks know very well to be truth, then you come across as disingenuous. If you're from the minority, you can find the right balance to speak to your truth while not hiding the larger truth. You'll come across as genuine while highlighting that the stereotype doesn't fit all.

I agree.
Satmar is such a vast chasidus unlike most others.
Satmar Boro Park, Williamsburg, and Monroe are so so different.
OP please specify where you're from. And what type of Satmar are you?

I grew up Satmar BP but didn't even attend Satmar school.
Yet I am as Hungarian and fein shmekerish as can be Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 8:11 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
do u iron underwear?

Absolutely not

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 8:12 pm
amother Fern wrote:

I am Satmar Williamsburg, I am not discounting anyone else's experience. I am just speaking my truth
Page 2 of 13   Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next Recent Topics