Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Chalav Yisrael vs. OU-D?
Previous  1  2

What type of dairy do you keep?
Chalav Yisrael ONLY!  
 60%  [ 56 ]
OU-D only - don't bother looking for CY  
 13%  [ 13 ]
We use both in the home  
 12%  [ 12 ]
Chalav Yisrael for cooking only but allow OU-D snacks in the home  
 6%  [ 6 ]
Chalav Yisrael ONLY at home, but not makpid outside the home  
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 93

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 9:33 am
OU-D tastes better Twisted Evil

Seriously...The twice I had bought Chalav Yisrael milk for a guest that was strict, both times the milk smelled spoiled and why does it cost so much more than regular milk? Rolling Eyes

red sea

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 9:52 am
Lady Godiva wrote:

Seriously...The twice I had bought Chalav Yisrael milk for a guest that was strict, both times the milk smelled spoiled and why does it cost so much more than regular milk? Rolling Eyes

thats cuz its in plastic containers imo Landau's used to always carry the c''y cardboard containers & it tasted the same as the supermarket brands.

I didnt know other countries applied that heter tho it makes sense that once its under certain type of govt regulations.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:22 am
When I got married I always kvetched about having to keep only CV. then dh's grandmother told me about how when her husband was in the US army on some remote base she would get up real early in the morning to watch them milk the cows because they kept CV. WOW. After that I decided I will not complain anymore becasue I have it easy (Well I almost never complain unless I see some really yummy...)

sky

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:23 am
Lady Godiva wrote:

OU-D does taste better - don't remind me!

I have found that different brands last longer then others - even in the plastic containers.

myfriends715

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:25 am
my dh kept c"y and now so do I.. I miss my frapaccinos from starbucks!!!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:30 am
I also like the taste of cholov stam milk better. . . the milk we buy also lasts MUCH longer than the CY milk that's at the local grocery. I started just buying soy milk when we have guests that keep CY b/c I don't mind drinking it and it won't all go to waste.

mumoo

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:35 am
Ima'la wrote:
lol! Yes, mumoo, but low-profile people also need to be careful of what we read into great people's actions! Many years ago I heard a story that someone saw R' Moshe Feinstein lick a stamp to put it on an envelope, but then lick his finger and wipe it on the envelope flap to moisten it so it would stick. So he conclude that obviously R' Moshe had done his research and found out that the glue on the stamps was kosher and the glue on envelopes was treif. Actually, last time R' Moshe licked an envelope, he got a paper cut on his tongue and was trying to avoid a repeat...

(No promises as to the veracity of the story.)

(P.S. Remember glue on stamps?!)

sure I remember, 8 cents for a 1st class
another great story, imala

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:36 am
myfriends715 wrote:
my dh kept c"y and now so do I.. I miss my frapaccinos from starbucks!!!

Kol Hakavod! It can be so hard to make the switch. I keep CY at home but I admit I do eat OU-D outside the house when I am not in my town or somewhere else where CY is not readily available. There are times, however, when DH brings in the occasional OU-D snacks but I tell him to keep it to himself and don't let it near the kitchen LOL we are trying to get away from that BE"H...

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 12:06 pm
I grew up eating OU-D but dh eats only C"Y though I started keeping C"Y a few months before I got married for personal reasons so it wasn't to much of a switch for me.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 12:07 pm
We keep OU-D (or other reliable hechsherim). If I have a choice to buy c"y or c"s, I always buy the regular milk because I've had too much experience with spoilage of the c"y products.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions