Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha jr

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:15 am
Is it me or hasn’t there been a mishpacha Jr lately

Pandabeer

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:15 am
The name (and a lot of material) got changed

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:16 am
It's been renamed as "Treeo" since yom tov. They redid the magazine, new graphics and all.
My kids like the new one better.

ShaniF

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:19 am
And the teen pages changed it's name to "Coozey" a bit cringe in my opinion

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:33 am
ShaniF wrote:
And the teen pages changed it's name to "Coozey" a bit cringe in my opinion

Agreed.

I think it appeals to a 13 year old maybe, not a 16 or 18 year old.

At least the content is the same.

lkwdgirl

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:37 am
Thanks for the reply. I’m not a fan of either new magazine and look. Why can’t things be kept simple

ShaniF

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:41 am
lkwdgirl wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I’m not a fan of either new magazine and look. Why can’t things be kept simple

Personally I hated the graphics of the junior and was waiting for them to change something.

Yup, I religiously read the Teen Pages serial every week

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:32 am
My teenage kids who enjoyed reading the Mishpacha Junior for light reading have said its changed to a much younger demographic now and the layout seems childish, including the names. I'm not sure why it was given a complete makeover really.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:38 am
I was disappointed that the expensive YT package didn't have a separate teens pages like it usually does because of the new design. I don't feel like I got my money's worth, we didn't really feel there was as much extra as usual (we're not subscribers so we feel the cost when we get a special YT edition)

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:58 am
Which columns have been removed and which kept? I didn’t buy this week.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:16 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Which columns have been removed and which kept? I didn’t buy this week.

I think they basically removed all columns and started from scratch. My kids are sad about World Travelers, which appeared monthly and which they really enjoyed.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 1:57 pm
My grandkids were not liking the old jr anymore.
How did they pick the new name? It's a bit strange.

Speaking of kid magazines...what's with all the angry, creepy, scary faces and guns pointed at children in Aim? It is very disturbing for anyone to see those images and I can't imagine what it looks like to the prereaders who look at the pictures.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 1:59 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Agreed.

I think it appeals to a 13 year old maybe, not a 16 or 18 year old.

At least the content is the same.

It's not really geared for an 18 year old. More for like 10-14.

pgk

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 2:18 pm
Yes! My kids were very disappointed with the yt package as well! No reading material for the teens! They thought maybe it got left out of our package for some reason!

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 2:38 pm
amother Melon wrote:
It's not really geared for an 18 year old. More for like 10-14.

The content is geared towards older teens too. They have sem related stuff there as well.

srbmom

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 2:41 pm
I was guessing they felt the need to try and compete with The Circle.

teachkids

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 2:50 pm
They also took out everything my preschoolers liked

farm

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:54 am
I think it’s a major improvement. The Jr was the worst of the big 3 (mishpacha, ami, bina) kid section by far. All over the place in terms of target age- the Dov and Dina, parsha mashal comic, fun page so babyish but not appealing to my ‘babies’ and then a couple of serials that my preteen/teens follow with pages and pages of irrelevant content. It looks like the full package is now clearly 8-14 years old with a more appealing and modern look. That being said, it is still missing a solid fiction story each week, a page where kids can display their magnatiles and clics creations (doesn’t add useful content but they love finding their siblings, cousins, and friends), and a nonfiction/real life struggle or dilemma for the teen section. And I would think they have the pages- it is significantly shorter and a lot quicker to read cover to cover than the old Jr. One final thing: we really missed the ‘scene it’ feature we looked forward to figuring out together every yom tov with a Gideon Pollack type busy picture where the younger ones find hidden objects and the older ones solve logic questions. And I wonder why they don’t just do a kids story supplement like the Calligraphy for the kid section Pesach and Succos so everyone feels like they got their $ worth with the $20 yom tov edition.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:59 am
teachkids wrote:
They also took out everything my preschoolers liked

Yes! There's nothing to read to my 5 year old anymore
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room