Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How come Yeshivas Mir is calling back the bochurim?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:55 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
Wow. No words. Clearly you know zero Israeli's.

My entire family lives there. They have a very different mentality than us and that is ok.

I can respect them and still not live that way.

Maybe it doesn't sound careless for you but for me it sounds careless to make boys come back to a terror/war ridden country now.

We can have a difference of opinion and still love each other.

I want to hear from mothers that don't live there and don't have that mentality.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:57 am

I do know Israeli's and her comment is spot on.
I think that Israeli's have way more emunah and bitachon then those in chul, which results in them being more calm, happy, and careless. It's a good thing, not a negative.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:58 am
No one is forcing the boys to go if they don't want. They are closing the upstate location because it's not very practical (there are rebbim who flew in, how long should they be away from their families?) and expensive.

If a bachur really does not feel comfortable going, he does not have to. He can join a yeshiva here.

My FIL is a mashgiach in a yeshiva in the tri state and some boys who were planning on going to Israel returned to the yeshiva instead for another zeman

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:58 am
amother OP wrote:
My entire family lives there. They have a very different mentality than us and that is ok.

I can respect them and still not live that way.

Maybe it doesn't sound careless for you but for me it sounds careless to make boys come back to a terror/war ridden country now.

We can have a difference of opinion and still love each other.

I want to hear from mothers that don't live there and don't have that mentality.

They're not forcing you to go.
There are yeshivos in America.
There are kollelim to join

Yagdil and Pragers still have American locations.

But to be in the Mir, you need to be in Yerushalayim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:59 am
amother Canary wrote:
No one is forcing the boys to go if they don't want. They are closing the upstate location because it's not very practical (there are rebbim who flew in, how long should they be away from their families?) and expensive.

If a bachur really does not feel comfortable going, he does not have to. He can join a yeshiva here.

My FIL is a mashgiach in a yeshiva in the tri state and some boys who were planning on going to Israel returned to the yeshiva instead for another zeman

Its easier said than done to find a new yeshiva new friends and so on now

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:00 am
To be honest, the war is not taking place in Jerusalem. If you prefer to make arrangements to learn elsewhere in the US you definitely can. A serious bochur can learn in any bais medrash temporarily if needed. No one is forcing anyone to send their boys to learn, but there's also no reason they need to set up a yeshiva outside of Israel for them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:01 am
amother Iris wrote:
They're not forcing you to go.
There are yeshivos in America.
There are kollelim to join

Yagdil and Pragers still have American locations.

But to be in the Mir, you need to be in Yerushalayim.

I didn't say I'm forced.

Do you have a son in Mir yeshiva?
Currently in the US?

If you don't you don't have to respond here.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:04 am

I'm pretty sure even with her defense she didn't exactly mean careless the way we are interpreting it. Like, carefree perhaps.

amother
Narcissus

amother OP wrote:
Its easier said than done to find a new yeshiva new friends and so on now

This is not the yeshiva'a problem.
I'd be very calm sending or going to Israel, especially Yerushalayim, now. And I feel uneasy walking the streets of NY. Safety wise, I'm more scared of the rising antisemitism then of the war.

amother
Glitter

If this attack has taught us anything it's that the only protection we can rely on is Hashem, not kochi votzem yadi.

And the way to do that is by increasing your ruchnios during this time. Increasing your davening, learning and mitzvos in order to be blessed with Hashem's protection.

The 'careless' people are those who think that as long as they're in a safe place they're okay. Where you live is immaterial, Hashem has an exact plan for everyone. One is obviously not supposed to go to a place which presents outright danger, but the Rabbanim have clearly stated that Yerushalayim is not considered such a place now. If anything the opposite, it's the holiest place on earth, and the place to be to grow and improve during this time.

If you don't feel comfortable sending you son, that's still understandable. But please don't call people who are heeding the gedolim at this time 'careless'. We are being so so careful - to keep the mitzvos properly and create achdus between us all. And that's what truly counts in order to keep us all safe under Hashem's embrace.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:09 am
amother OP wrote:
I didn't say I'm forced.

Do you have a son in Mir yeshiva?
Currently in the US?

If you don't you don't have to respond here.

Yes
Yes

May I point out that the yeshiva have no responsibility to open alternative locations?

They did us a favor for the last few weeks. Now they can't continue that favor.

It can happen that a yeshiva has to eg. close down. The bachurim have to be mature enough to look for another option.

Here, your son has two options. He can stay in the Mir even if it means learning in Yerushalayim or he can look for an alternative option in the USA.

It's part of growing up. When things on the ground change and you have to re-think a decision. If you don't want him to go back, he should ask his more derech what to do.

What I'm not understanding is why you are so angry about it? Changes in plans are part of life. The yeshiva doesn't owe us an alternative location so we have to rethink.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:11 am
I mean this with all seriousness after seeing the violent rallies in London, NY and the beating of Jews in Chicago, the statements from all the IV league schools...I am so happy I live in yerushalayim and you couldn't pay me to leave. I'd be terrified.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:13 am
amother Hosta wrote:
Yes
Yes

May I point out that the yeshiva have no responsibility to open alternative locations?

They did us a favor for the last few weeks. Now they can't continue that favor.

It can happen that a yeshiva has to eg. close down. The bachurim have to be mature enough to look for another option.

Here, your son has two options. He can stay in the Mir even if it means learning in Yerushalayim or he can look for an alternative option in the USA.

It's part of growing up. When things on the ground change and you have to re-think a decision. If you don't want him to go back, he should ask his more derech what to do.

What I'm not understanding is why you are so angry about it? Changes in plans are part of life. The yeshiva doesn't owe us an alternative location so we have to rethink.

I am not angry at all. I am frustrated that the thread keeps going off topic so that might be coming through.

What I was hoping to achieve with this thread was...

I am confused how they can call bochurim into a danger zone and was wondering if other parents share this.

I am curious what other parents are doing oif lemeisah.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:14 am
My brother isn’t going back. This has the potential to turn into WW3. Lebanon is active, Iran is active, who knows where this will go. Staying far away from Israel for the time being.

Hamas’s rockets are primitive and don’t go far but if they get ballistic missiles from Iran Chas vshalom…

I’m not trying to instill fear, just saying I would not send my son to Israel right now. Everyone on this thread is disagreeing with OP but I don’t see why.

amother
Bluebell

amother OP wrote:
I am not angry at all. I am frustrated that the thread keeps going off topic so that might be coming through.

I am confused how they can call bochurim into a danger zone and was wondering if other parents share this.

The answer is that yerushelayim is not a war zone and many people already sent back. Someone will always be first and last. If you decide to send you won’t be first.

amother
Poppy

amother OP wrote:

Things are probably no more dangerous in Jerusalem now than they were a month ago. It's not a danger zone. That's what everyone keeps telling you, and it's not off topic.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:15 am
I mean this with all seriousness after seeing the violent rallies in London, NY and the beating of Jews in Chicago, the statements from all the IV league schools...I am so happy I live in yerushalayim and you couldn't pay me to leave. I'd be terrified.

The difference is, westerners say evil things but don’t often do evil things. There’s been a lot more terror attacks in Israel vs the US. Arabs are trained to be violent. Your average dumb college aged American will hold a sign and happily protest with their friends about a topic they don’t know anything about, but they won’t derail their lives by committing terror attacks.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:

Yerushalayim is NOT a danger zone. I think it's safer then elsewhere. Most parents I know, have sent or are sending back their bachurim. Seminary girls didn't come home, kal vechomer bachurim that our going to learn torah.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:18 am
OP, my daughter is in sem there so I am qualified to speak.

We, as parents, need to remove ourselves from the equation. This is not about US and how WE feel. It is about our children. My daughter is BH happy and thriving and safe BH. If any of those things change I would consider bringing her home. Am I super chilled and calm and carrying on life as usual? No.

But I’m doing what’s best for my child. It isn’t easy. Im channeling my feelings thru tefila for EY and all the yidden in the world right now.

If your son is nervous and doesn’t want to go, I’m sure he can find an alternative plan. But if it’s you that’s nervous, try to remove yourself from the equation and focus and what is best for your child

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:18 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
My brother isn’t going back. This has the potential to turn into WW3. Lebanon is active, Iran is active, who knows where this will go. Staying far away from Israel for the time being.

Hamas’s rockets are primitive and don’t go far but if they get ballistic missiles from Iran Chas vshalom…

I’m not trying to instill fear, just saying I would not send my son to Israel right now. Everyone on this thread is disagreeing with OP but I don’t see why.

If you think that this may chas v'shalom turn in to a serious war, why do you think that you're safer in chul than in Israel?
Al tivtach peh l'satan, may hashem protect us wherever we are.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics