Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
WWYD working from home question
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 3:25 pm
I work from home in customer service.
The hours of my full time job were recently cut in half so that I now work only a few hours a day. If I calculate the exact amount of time that I spend on the work, it may not exceed the amount of hours I am paid for- but the nature of the job requires me to be available and check emails etc. which requires more availability than just the specific hours I am paid for. Is this arrangement fair? Or how can I make it fair? I feel that I am still doing the same work, but just being paid for half my time.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 3:27 pm
Not fair. If you were salaried instead of hourly it would be ok
Tell your boss or manager that you will be working during hours x and will not be checking email or answering phone calls at other times

justforfun87

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 3:34 pm
So basically you are on call with no ability to commit to something else? No, that is not fair.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 3:50 pm
I have similar where I am paid hourly to work as a secretary from home. But I need to do it between a certain time each day.
I have the worklog app which I tap every time I sit and do work, it's a sign in sign out system. The rest of the time when it's just waiting for calls or emails, I sign out and do house work I can hear if the phone rings and occasionally will check emails.
I have an arrangement with my boss that if my hours are less since the work was slow I will still be paid for 2 thirds of my work hours for having to commit the time.

So if your work hours are between 9-2 each day, even if some days you aren't working that amount of time at the end of the month you have a minimum base payment even if it's more than the hours you worked.
It's a bit difficult writing it out, I hope you understand if not ask me anything.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 3:52 pm
Thanks ladies.
There's a small catch which is that I'm starting another WFH job to make up for lost hours and I might end up juggling between both jobs at the same time. I don't know how sustainable this will be but does it change anything re the situation?

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 3:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks ladies.
There's a small catch which is that I'm starting another WFH job to make up for lost hours and I might end up juggling between both jobs at the same time. I don't know how sustainable this will be but does it change anything re the situation?

Dear employer who cut my hours - I am considering taking a second job to make up for the lost pay. I would need to give my second job my full attention at that time, and therefor not be able to respond to email related to your company at that time. Do you have any concerns?

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:01 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Dear employer who cut my hours - I am considering taking a second job to make up for the lost pay. I would need to give my second job my full attention at that time, and therefor not be able to respond to email related to your company at that time. Do you have any concerns?

No don't do this op.
Your current employer is taking advantage. The time that you're not officially working is yours.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:08 pm
amother Apple wrote:
No don't do this op.
Your current employer is taking advantage. The time that you're not officially working is yours.

Can you please explain?

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you please explain?

If you're being available for checking emails all day long, you should be getting paid every time you sit down at your computer or look at that email on your phone. That's what hourly work means. If you're not getting paid for that you're being taken advantage of

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:12 pm
amother Apple wrote:
If you're being available for checking emails all day long, you should be getting paid every time you sit down at your computer or look at that email on your phone. That's what hourly work means. If you're not getting paid for that you're being taken advantage of

But if I'm only paid for each time I check my email, it may not amount to very much. My employer is saying that the work is slow and therefore he doesn't feel that I need to work so many hours. But the work comes in throughout the day, it's not consolidated over a specific hour or two.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
But if I'm only paid for each time I check my email, it may not amount to very much. My employer is saying that the work is slow and therefore he doesn't feel that I need to work so many hours. But the work comes in throughout the day, it's not consolidated over a specific hour or two.

But all jobs are like that. There are slow days and busy days, that's the reality of it.
What you're saying is that your employer practically 'owns' your day and is making you be on call the entire day while only paying you for half of it. That's not fair.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:46 pm
amother Apple wrote:
But all jobs are like that. There are slow days and busy days, that's the reality of it.
What you're saying is that your employer practically 'owns' your day and is making you be on call the entire day while only paying you for half of it. That's not fair.

So can you help me figure out how to set this up?
Do I tell my employers that I need to be paid for the hours that they want me to be available - and that those hours are the only hours that I will be working?

sara_s

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do I tell my employers that I need to be paid for the hours that they want me to be available - and that those hours are the only hours that I will be working?

Yes that's a perfect way to put it.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

“If you only want me to work 4 hours a day, please let me know which 4 hours they will be so I can build the rest of my schedule around that. I’m of course willing to resume working full time if you prefer”

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 5:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes, if he wants a full time customer service he has to pay for that otherwise he can have you work between the set hours to answer calls, emails and phone back anyone who called whilst the office was closed.
If you would be working from an office you would be paid from when you enter until you leave regardless if you are working fully those hours or if there is no work that day.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 5:07 pm
Is the work time sensitive?

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 5:14 pm
amother Apple wrote:
No don't do this op.

Fairly certain that the message I wrote out makes that rather clear - and pushes the employer to either offer her full work again - or confirm that she is not required to work when she's not working. On the other hand - she risks being fired.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 5:18 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Fairly certain that the message I wrote out makes that rather clear - and pushes the employer to either offer her full work again - or confirm that she is not required to work when she's not working. On the other hand - she risks being fired.
I think it's too passive. Gives the employer the opportunity to say no you can't do that but not offer any alternatives

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 5:21 pm
amother Apple wrote:
I think it's too passive. Gives the employer the opportunity to say no you can't do that but not offer any alternatives
No it gives him an opportunity to reflect - people don't respond well to demands. If he says - yes that would be an issue for me - then you get into - well I need to take this second job because you cut my hours, however if you'd like to keep me on full time, I'd be happy to respond to emails as they come in.

In anycase - if OP speaks up - she risks losing her job.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 5:35 pm
why dont you just ignore emails when its the time you are not working. if anyone asks why its not taken care of, remind them that you are not working after this time
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics