Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Do I need 2 carseats?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 9:07 pm
I mean I guess I do but not really sure what to do.

Baby 15mo (he's small) is really too big for his infant carseat, I just didn't know what to get for him so he's still squished in there.
Just feels so silly to buy a new convertible seat for him since my 3.5yo is in one now and I'm not sure how much longer he'll need it for.
(Also, I really don't think there will any more kids so I can't plan on getting more use)
So I guess my question is: can my 3.5yo move to a backed booster already or is it too soon? He's not a huge kid either but not tiny. average. When is he able to switch?
(Not my first kids but I have no recollection of what I've done previously)
Is my only option getting another convertible for baby?
Thanks!

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 9:14 pm
You can get your 3 year old a forward facing 5 point harness that converts to a booster and use the forward facing/rear facing convertible for your baby

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 9:52 pm
Good idea.
Any good ones to recommend? For not too expensive please!
What am I looking for? Is that called 3 in 1? or 4 in 1?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 9:59 pm
It's the right time of year, I would buy any reputable brand that is on sale. Look at reviews. Don't know what they call it or if the name varies by brand. It's forward facing and converts to a highback booster. Less bulky than the one that is rear facing too

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 11:55 pm
3.5 is WAY too early for a booster, even a high back booster.

By law, depending on where you live your baby should be RF until 2. But even if not the law, it is definitely recommended by practically every pediatrician and car seat technician to RF until at least 2. I read a lot on this and spoke to a car seat technician... the dangers to FF too early or switch to a booster too early is scary. Could be life and death- I don't mean to scare you but a kid too small in a booster can fly out of the seat in an accident. Or get hurt by the belt. And a baby's head and neck are so much better protected RF until their spine is stronger- around age 2.

You cannot move to a booster until your kid can sit still, remain upright in his seat so the belt hits right at all times, and is more physically and emotionally mature (ie not falling asleep where they fall into the next seat, not squirming). Plus he or she has to hit the minimum size requirements for the booster. Smallest I found was 40 pounds but many require 45-60 pounds minimum. There is often a height requirement too.

Check your state laws, they may have minimum ages as well.

So many times people switch too early and it is so unsafe!!

I recommend the graco slim fit 3 lx - narrow, pretty easy to install, and goes RF to FF. I own 2. It has easy auto thread for height adjustment. There are others out there that go the whole way- RF to FF to high back booster but I was told to skip those and get a high back booster when my kids need it because a high back is cheap and often the car seat ones are super bulky, hard to install, and often expire before the kid is done with it!

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 12:22 am
Your older one can go into a harnessed booster which is basically a forward facing only car seat. Search “harnessed booster” And you’ll see all your options.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 12:34 am
You can get your 3.5 year old the Graco Transition which is a 3-in-1 - starts off as a 5-point harnessed booster, then as a high back booster and then a regular booster. Graco Tranzitions 3 in 1 Harness Booster Seat, Proof https://a.co/d/7tZvdqL

It’s on sale now for $84 - it’s for 22-100lbs.
Graco though needs to be replaced after any kind of accident even fender benders. However insurance has to pay for a new one if it needs to be replaced.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 4:34 am
Don’t feel stupid. It’s a small investment for a potentially life saving device. Invest in his safety!

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 5:44 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
You can get your 3.5 year old the Graco Transition which is a 3-in-1 - starts off as a 5-point harnessed booster, then as a high back booster and then a regular booster. Graco Tranzitions 3 in 1 Harness Booster Seat, Proof https://a.co/d/7tZvdqL

It’s on sale now for $84 - it’s for 22-100lbs.
Graco though needs to be replaced after any kind of accident even fender benders. However insurance has to pay for a new one if it needs to be replaced.

This is a great option. I was gonna suggest the budget brands of safety first or cosco, but if you can get a graco at that price that converts to backless, do it.

Evenflo is another budget brand.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 5:47 am
amother OP wrote:
I mean I guess I do but not really sure what to do.

Baby 15mo (he's small) is really too big for his infant carseat, I just didn't know what to get for him so he's still squished in there.
Just feels so silly to buy a new convertible seat for him since my 3.5yo is in one now and I'm not sure how much longer he'll need it for.
(Also, I really don't think there will any more kids so I can't plan on getting more use)
So I guess my question is: can my 3.5yo move to a backed booster already or is it too soon? He's not a huge kid either but not tiny. average. When is he able to switch?
(Not my first kids but I have no recollection of what I've done previously)
Is my only option getting another convertible for baby?
Thanks!

My 5 year old is still in a convertible.
I'm debating getting him a high back booster

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 5:56 am
Thank you all for your help!
Now I know what I need is a harness booster seat. I'll probably get that graco one.

Actually I want to just clarify: The harness booster is considered the same safety wise as a convertible? (For my 3.5 yo)

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 6:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all for your help!
Now I know what I need is a harness booster seat. I'll probably get that graco one.

Actually I want to just clarify: The harness booster is considered the same safety wise as a convertible? (For my 3.5 yo)

Unless you had him rear facing still (all the power to you, but you can move him ff now). It’s the same as a convertible in forward facing (except way easier to install)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics