Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
S/O what was your average daily phone screen time last week?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 1:58 am
Before I switched to a flip phone a few weeks ago my average was about 5-6 hours a day, sometimes more. Hiding

Craziness.

SG18

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:01 am
I don't know, I don't track it. My focus is on not using my phone for the first hour of the morning, and then not using social media before I say Brachot. I also like to not use it during mealtimes and not in bed.
This works better for me than tracking and feeling guilty. I use my phone as an aid in my daughter's homeschool, to play music most of the day, for white noise, for a well-being app, to exercise. I watch videos or listen to podcasts while I do dishes, and yes, I also play games to decompress. As someone who struggles with anxiety, I don't want to shame myself for using a tool that makes my life easier and more enjoyable.

If switching to a flip phone was what you needed, that's great!

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:06 am
Too much. My baby is 10 days old😂😂

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:22 am
SG18 wrote:
I don't know, I don't track it. My focus is on not using my phone for the first hour of the morning, and then not using social media before I say Brachot. I also like to not use it during mealtimes and not in bed.
This works better for me than tracking and feeling guilty. I use my phone as an aid in my daughter's homeschool, to play music most of the day, for white noise, for a well-being app, to exercise. I watch videos or listen to podcasts while I do dishes, and yes, I also play games to decompress. As someone who struggles with anxiety, I don't want to shame myself for using a tool that makes my life easier and more enjoyable.

If switching to a flip phone was what you needed, that's great!

Thank you so much for your post! My screen time is probably the highest of everyone on this site, I felt so terrible about myself when op said she was crazy for having 5-6 hours which to me, I would be so proud of myself if I ever only had that many hours. I have a lot of anxiety and my phone holds me together.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 9:15 am
I distinguish between purposeful screen time and wasted screen time. I've just started an on line course, which I normally do on my phone - so my screen time jumped by about ten hours a week. Just because its on my phone, doesn't make it any worse than if it was on the computer.

I try to limit the amount of time I waste on the phone, but studying, listening to shiurim and so on is a valid use which I don't need to feel guilty about.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Broom wrote:
I distinguish between purposeful screen time and wasted screen time. I've just started an on line course, which I normally do on my phone - so my screen time jumped by about ten hours a week. Just because its on my phone, doesn't make it any worse than if it was on the computer.

I try to limit the amount of time I waste on the phone, but studying, listening to shiurim and so on is a valid use which I don't need to feel guilty about.

Very valid points. I didn’t need to be doing all this stuff on the phone, it was a loooot of phone pickups and scrolling and Googling. Yes shiurim and work too but mostly mindless unnecessary stuff.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 9:05 pm
I use my phone as an escape, a place to loose myself and block out pain.
I end up needing it a lot.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 9:12 pm
58 hours in total, so about 8 hours a day.
The highest was 14 hours on Sunday (I don't work).

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 9:14 pm
Im on my phone too much

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 9:14 pm
About 4 hours a day, including necessary important things.
(I feel guilty that it's too much time.)

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 9:19 pm
amother Black wrote:
58 hours in total, so about 8 hours a day.
The highest was 14 hours on Sunday (I don't work).

same here. I def use it as an escape
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics