Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl Names with "song" meaning
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I couldn't find it again in my quick search, but I've come across it many times while saying Tehillim. If I find it again I will update you. Thanks!

I believe the translation would be tunes
It's in Tehillim but I can't recall where at the moment
Also in Davening לקל ברוך נעימות יתנו

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all the replies...

I'm not looking for a specifically common name, I was just wondering if I missed any besides the more common ones. I don't mind a unique name, just not completely strange :-)

I like the sound of Zimra, just not sure of the "seeming" connection to 'Zimri' from the Torah...

Zimratya - Zimra of Hashem

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Those are basically the ones I had thought of. Thanks!

Would Zimra fly in a USA yeshivish community? What does it translate to?

And does Ne'ima mean just pleasant or pleasant song? I see both in the artscroll interlinear.

I've heard of the name Negina- I think it means music/tune. Are you sfardi or Ashkenazi?

MyUsername

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:19 pm
Rinatya
Tslil
Shir
Hallili

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:28 pm
If you’re not in a certain area of Israel where you know at least one other child with the name, please don’t name your baby Zimratya. She’ll have the weirdest name. Stand in front of the mirror and try it out by saying it and calling an imaginary girl with that name. If her friends shorten it because it’s a mouthful to say Zimratya they’ll call her Zimri and that’s awful. Shirli is basically Shirley spelled differently. Not a favorite name.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 11:21 pm
Beautiful names recommended!
Shirel
Shiran
Shiraz
Shirit
Shirli
Shira

Gut voch hatzlacha naming ur sweet baby Smile

thegiver

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 11:22 pm
For sure do not do zemira! It has not good association I think I recall

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 11:31 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
The rest won't all pass.
Shira, Rina, and tehilla are heard of. Not common. Like in 9 yrs of teaching (over 150 girls) I think I had two shiras and a rina and a Tehilla.

Again, in the 14 grade span I can think of from working in an OOT yeshivish school (girls ranging age 5-18)
There are no girls with names that are derivatives of hallel Shira or Rina.

I am not yeshivish, so I am no expert, but I do have yeshivish family and have encountered quite a few Shiras in those circles. Rina and Tehilla are also not unheard of.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:22 am
Zimra sounds too close to Zimri to me... TMI

salt

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 1:01 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Zimra is uncommon

Could you give an example of a passuk where Neima meaning song? I'll look it up bli neder
I'm thinking more like pleasantries

אנעים זמירות....

salt

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 1:02 am
Shir
Zimratya

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 8:13 am
amother Clear wrote:
Zimra sounds too close to Zimri to me... TMI

What does Zimri mean?

dena613

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 8:15 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
What does Zimri mean?

Zimri was the man who needed to be killed by pinchas

dena613

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 8:16 am
OP
if you want a name that sounds mainstream yeshivish, it will have to be Shira, Tehilla, or Rina

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 8:19 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
The rest won't all pass.
Shira, Rina, and tehilla are heard of. Not common. Like in 9 yrs of teaching (over 150 girls) I think I had two shiras and a rina and a Tehilla.

I disagree. I live in Brooklyn, attended a yeshivish school, and taught in a (different) yeshivish school. Shira, Rina, and Tehilla may not be as common as Esti, Rikki, and Rachelli, but they’re totally normal names. While you might not have one in each class or even grade, I know multiple Shiras, Rinas, and Tehillas.

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 8:30 am
The only names here that fly in typical yeshivish circles are: Shira, Tehila and Rina.
Re Shira: R Chaim Kanievsky zt’l was opposed to using the name.

All the other ‘song’ names suggested are atypical and would be looked at as such. Deduce what you'd like from that.

Bshaah tova!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:16 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Zimra is uncommon

Could you give an example of a passuk where Neima meaning song? I'll look it up bli neder
I'm thinking more like pleasantries

It is in Birchas Krias Shema in Shacharis. "את שׁם... וכּולם מקבּלים... בּנחת רוח בּשׂפה ברורה ובנעימה."

Artscroll translates the last few words as- "with calmness of spirit with articulation that is clear and with sweet melody."

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:19 am
amother Anemone wrote:
The only names here that fly in typical yeshivish circles are: Shira, Tehila and Rina.
Re Shira: R Chaim Kanievsky zt’l was opposed to using the name.

All the other ‘song’ names suggested are atypical and would be looked at as such. Deduce what you'd like from that.

Bshaah tova!

Thank you and to all for your opinions and suggestions! :-)

As it happens we don't want to use (for various reasons) Shira, Tehila or Rina... That is partially why I started this thread trying to get other less common ideas that we hadn't thought of. Apparently, there are not so many. That is ok. IYH we will figure it out!

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:25 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Beautiful names recommended!
Shirel
Shiran
Shiraz
Shirit
Shirli
Shira

Gut voch hatzlacha naming ur sweet baby Smile

Shiran doesn’t sound like a real name. Reminds of Ed Sheeran. I happen to love his music but not enough to name a baby after him. Shiraz? Seriously? Current events rule this one out.
I totally get the desire for an original name instead of the ancient Biblical ones our great grandparents used but please let’s not inflict our imaginative choices on our precious babies.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you and to all for your opinions and suggestions! :-)

As it happens we don't want to use (for various reasons) Shira, Tehila or Rina... That is partially why I started this thread trying to get other less common ideas that we hadn't thought of. Apparently, there are not so many. That is ok. IYH we will figure it out!

Then perhaps Miriam, Chana, or Devorah?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names