Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva of Greater Washington / Silver Spring
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:27 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Tuition is significantly higher than Baltimore- though people do get tuition breaks. I'd say 500k is on the low side right now- especiallyif you want something that has been updatedin recent memory. Look for homes in kemp mill estates to get a better sense of pricing. Barbara ciment is realtor who does a lot of frum sales- check out her website

How high is high?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:51 am
I have children in both schools and I disagree with this statement. It isn't a super right wing school, but certainly not modern orthodox. It's out of town. And the community has become more Yeshivish over the last 10 years. Ive been living her for almost 15 years with kids in various grades. Both boys and girls divisions offer honors/AP classes. There are positives and negatives to the community/school but the last poster is incorrect.

So maybe it changed in the last 10 years. But I do remember them taking the otd girls from bais yakov and bnos and a lot of girls who weren’t able to skip grades did so easily at yeshiva and I remember them saying the education isn’t as good.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:53 am
amother Jade wrote:
So maybe it changed in the last 10 years. But I do remember them taking the otd girls from bais yakov and bnos and a lot of girls who weren’t able to skip grades did so easily at yeshiva and I remember them saying the education isn’t as good.

There have been major changes in the past 10 years in terms of that. Isn't the case anymore. That being said- it remains a welcoming and accepting environment.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:56 am
amother OP wrote:
How high is high?

Full tuition at tsgw is around 17k...its over 20k at ygw. But many people get generous tuition breaks.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:56 am
I would say that the girls YGW is in line with TSGW in terms of haskafa. I live here with kids attending both schools. It isn't a Bais Yaakov but the teachers are wonderful and many if not most girls in each grade are BY type. Most people are very happy with the school- a few send to Baltimore bc they want a more BY school, but its fewer and fewer every year bc the community has become more to the right.
Girls in general have no trouble getting into the seminary of their choice-.BJJ, Bnos Sara, Bnos Chava....But at the end of the day it's an out of town community school. Classes are small. Teachers are caring and invested. Its a down to earth place- no one cares about brands etc... People are very welcomg and kind.The community has become a lot more yeshivish. The major downside here is cost of living. I'd recommend arranging a visit.

If it was like this 10 years ago I probably would’ve went myself. I remember asking the principle where girls go to sem and everyone was hanging out with boys and I was yeshivish then so I said it wasn’t for me

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:57 am
Full tuition at tsgw is around 17k...its over 20k at ygw. But many people get generous tuition breaks.

How about families with like 10 kids and both parents have professional degrees? Also, how’s the academics nowadays?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:00 pm
amother Tan wrote:
The education is decent. Also its not modern. Its OOT and a community type school, but the community and yeshiva has gone more to the right over the past 10 years.
Torah School of GW is the feeder school to yeshiva of GW.
There is also Berman which is modern orthodox and has a special ed program called sulam in it.

I wouldn’t send my child to a school with a yct grad teaching hebrew subjects. Therefore, Berman is out of the question.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:26 pm
amother Tan wrote:
500k in silver spring is very cheap these days and probably needs work because the homes are older.

Mimimum for a starter home that is in origional 1960s condition is more like 600k. YG2 tutiton starts at 23k for 7th grade and goes up every year. They do Not give much tuition breaks. We are expected to pay 65% of our post tax income on tuition.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
Mimimum for a starter home that is in origional 1960s condition is more like 600k. YG2 tutiton starts at 23k for 7th grade and goes up every year. They do Not give much tuition breaks. We are expected to pay 65% of our post tax income on tuition.

Wow, we pay 14k plus building fees, family fees etc now so ends up closer to 16 or so, depending on how many kids you have. Is it 23k plus all those fees?

What's Baltimore tuition like?

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow, we pay 14k plus building fees, family fees etc now so ends up closer to 16 or so, depending on how many kids you have. Is it 23k plus all those fees?

That's about what Baltimore is for middle school boys. I can't answer for girls, but I know it's slightly less.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

Thats inluding fees. I also meant that they do not give substantial breaks to 2 working parents. They will give huge breaks to others.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:17 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
Thats inluding fees. I also meant that they do not give substantial breaks to 2 working parents. They will give huge breaks to others.

So if only one parent works they give discounts? How does that make any sense?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:17 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
That's about what Baltimore is for middle school boys. I can't answer for girls, but I know it's slightly less.

So Baltimore is similar to SS or to what I pay now?

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
So Baltimore is similar to SS or to what I pay now?
To what you pay now. TA middle school is about 15k plus fees.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:24 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
To what you pay now. TA middle school is about 15k plus fees.

YGW 7th grade is 23K including everything.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:37 pm
amother Jade wrote:

Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

Did you actually have anything to do with the school? Because it sounds like you're going on a lot of "I heard" which is not a toeles for you to spread, and it's just a bunch of loshon hara, and potentially motzi Shem Ra.

I did go to the school, and I genuinely feel they saved me. I graduated somewhere around 15 years ago, and have nothing but the utmost hakaras hatov for all they did for me, the amazing growth I experienced during my years there, and the friends I made.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:46 pm
For my kids in Baltimore:

high school boy $16,000 (no dorm, he lives at home)
high school girl $13,300
middle school boy $13,950
elementary girl $10,800

Each of the schools has some sort of extra building/technology fee-somewhere between $500-$1000.
We are 2 working parents and have been very happy with the tuition committees--we don't pay anywhere near full tuition--we simply don't have it. And they see on our form that we live a very simple life.

Baltimore is a great community. I also have a lot of connections in Silver Spring which is a great community also. The schools are all great--I don't know why all the bashing--but I have friends/relatives who have gone to Torah School, YGW for boys, YGW for girls, Berman, and they have all had great experiences.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 6:54 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
For my kids in Baltimore:

high school boy $16,000 (no dorm, he lives at home)
high school girl $13,300
middle school boy $13,950
elementary girl $10,800

Each of the schools has some sort of extra building/technology fee-somewhere between $500-$1000.
We are 2 working parents and have been very happy with the tuition committees--we don't pay anywhere near full tuition--we simply don't have it. And they see on our form that we live a very simple life.

Baltimore is a great community. I also have a lot of connections in Silver Spring which is a great community also. The schools are all great--I don't know why all the bashing--but I have friends/relatives who have gone to Torah School, YGW for boys, YGW for girls, Berman, and they have all had great experiences.

Thanks for the numbers.
Is there any school in Baltimore that has smaller class sizes or where kids aren't just a number? I liked that SS had such small classes but it is expensive...

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the numbers.
Is there any school in Baltimore that has smaller class sizes or where kids aren't just a number? I liked that SS had such small classes but it is expensive...
Boys or girls? I only know firsthand from TA so far. It is a very big school, but each class is usually between 17-21 kids. We've been there a while and I never remember having more than 21 in one class. I know TI has larger class sizes, but can't tell you numbers. And for Toras Simcha, I think it depends on the grade. Their first graduating class is this year and it's under 10 boys, but I think the younger grades are more typical class size. Maybe others can weigh in on specifics and on girls' schools. There are also many old threads for this that you can look up.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the numbers.

You are definitely not just a number in silver spring. Most people do get tuition breaks. We feel we have been treated fairly. I'd recommend visiting and having a frank conversation with administrators regarding tuition expectations.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics