Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva of Greater Washington / Silver Spring
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:49 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
You are definitely not just a number in silver spring. Most people do get tuition breaks. We feel we have been treated fairly. I'd recommend visiting and having a frank conversation with administrators regarding tuition expectations.

Can someone describe the community? Because this school sounds amazing besides for the cost of course. Especially as we would be moving and my job wouldn't transfer... so tuition the first year or two might be hard...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:05 pm
Silver Spring is a great out of town community. Most people live in Kemp Mill, which is what I would recommend if you have school age children. There are few different shuls ranging from Modern Orthodox to out of town Yeshivish. Most younger families, more right-wing families end up at Ohr Ha Torah. Some also go to Young Israel Shomrai Emunah. It is a mix of FFB looking to get out of the NY scene, long time Silver Springers, and BTs. There are a lot of folks who work for the government. It is a very warm and welcoming place. It is not a materialistic community at all. Folks are very low key. The houses tend to be on the smaller side. There are a few kosher restaurants- but we are only 45min to Baltimore. It is a very wholesome, growth-oriented community. Tuition and housing are expensive, but somehow things work out for most folks. We've been very happy and certainly don't feel like just a number here at all.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can someone describe the community? Because this school sounds amazing besides for the cost of course. Especially as we would be moving and my job wouldn't transfer... so tuition the first year or two might be hard...

The community is changing so anyone who answers make sure they’ve lived or been there within the past few years and not 10+ years ago.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

It's all kind of split up. There's Kemp Mill, where the boys' school is, near that is White Oak, and then further from those and closer to the girls' school is the Woodside community (much smaller than KM and WO.) All the communities are a hashkafic mix, a mix of people who send to YGW, MJBHA (Berman, MO), JDS (less religious), and some even local public schools. I believe Woodside only has one shul, whereas KM and WO each have a couple of varying hashkafic leanings. But in my experience, Silver Spring in general is an open, loving, achdusdik community. People often walk between KM and WO on Shabbos, children from different schools often know each other from being neighbors, being in school together, etc. and will continue friendships even if they are in different schools.

(ETA: my experience from 15 or so years ago. Could be it's changed, but I hope not too much!)

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

We got very good tuition breaks as well ... But probably less than we would get in baltimore. But we don't want to live in Baltimore...

I think overall the community is beautiful, a growing mindset, there's a few different shuls so if you can explain where you're coming from, it might be easier to tell you whether you would fit in here.

Have you ever lived OOT before?
Again, I recommend you look at the videos on the shul and school websites, you can really get a sense for the "types"

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:09 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
It's all kind of split up. There's Kemp Mill, where the boys' school is, near that is White Oak, and then further from those and closer to the girls' school is the Woodside community (much smaller than KM and WO.) All the communities are a hashkafic mix, a mix of people who send to YGW, MJBHA (Berman, MO), JDS (less religious), and some even local public schools. I believe Woodside only has one shul, whereas KM and WO each have a couple of varying hashkafic leanings. But in my experience, Silver Spring in general is an open, loving, achdusdik community. People often walk between KM and WO on Shabbos, children from different schools often know each other from being neighbors, being in school together, etc. and will continue friendships even if they are in different schools.

(ETA: my experience from 15 or so years ago. Could be it's changed, but I hope not too much!)

It's different now. The only "place to be" for young families is Kemp Mill.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:10 pm
The people who live there are very nice. It’s a very welcoming community. I like it more than Baltimore in that sense. I think it helps that it’s a smaller community than Baltimore. I live in Baltimore btw. I go to silver spring occasionally to visit people I know. Are you able to make a visit there? Do you know anyone there at all? Maybe someone has a name or number of someone you can call to get a connection to someone who you can stay with for a few days to get a feel and check out the schools.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
It's different now. The only "place to be" for young families is Kemp Mill.

That's sad, White Oak's such a beautiful area, and a number of friends and classmates lived there. I wish it had flourished more.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:42 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
That's sad, White Oak's such a beautiful area, and a number of friends and classmates lived there. I wish it had flourished more.

It is sad. They are always trying to make a resurgence every few years, but people never end up staying and move to kemp mill.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:24 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

I totally agree!!! It would also be much easier to find a good house if there were two options. Really a shame for various reasons.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:30 pm
I grew up real OOT where SS would have seemed like a large city. I get small town feel, accepting people where they are at, letting kids have playdates even if I won't eat at their home.

Now I live in a bigger frum community but may need to move to that general area for husband's work.

We are frum, somewhere left of Lakewood and right of MO. I cover hair completely, tights etc, I try to limit what they are exposed to but my oldest has read the Hobbit and screened secular books. Does that kind of define where we are at?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I grew up real OOT where SS would have seemed like a large city. I get small town feel, accepting people where they are at, letting kids have playdates even if I won't eat at their home.

Now I live in a bigger frum community but may need to move to that general area for husband's work.

We are frum, somewhere left of Lakewood and right of MO. I cover hair completely, tights etc, I try to limit what they are exposed to but my oldest has read the Hobbit and screened secular books. Does that kind of define where we are at?

You would fit right in:)

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:37 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes it does, and I agree that I think you would fit in well Smile
Many people move here due to jobs and/or the yeshiva/community.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

There are plenty of families like that in silver spring.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:41 pm
I have extended family that lives there and visit often. It's a beautiful community and everyone seems happy there. I would love to live there but dh is not on board

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

You would totally fit in in ss! Come visit!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:47 pm
Another important question, how does your husband feel about moving OOT?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:36 pm
Just to clarify, JDS is a pluralistic school. Not Orthodox, but a number of Orthodox kids go there. Head of school has smicha from JTS (Conservative)
Berman is Modern Orthodox

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:42 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Just to clarify, JDS is a pluralistic school. Not Orthodox, but a number of Orthodox kids go there. Head of school has smicha from JTS (Conservative)
Berman is Modern Orthodox

Thanks for clarifying! Don't think it is relevant, as OP is unlikely to be sending to either of those schools.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:44 pm
Awesome community! Awesome schools!

But you have to come with the attitude that it’s not a cookie cutter place and you can’t be judgmental of others. Just like you want to be welcomed unconditionally, know that you will have to be that way too. The beauty is precisely in its diversity and if the school doesn’t measure up one hundred percent hashkafically, don’t be surprised. It doesn’t claim to be Lakewood.
Go in with the right attitude and yiu will love it!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics