Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Another DVOM bar mitzvah --- help wanted!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:04 pm
DVOM wrote:
That's a beautiful suggestion. I think if presented right, Mr. 13 would very much be on board.

Any ideas?

Tzitzis tying?
Letter writing to soldiers in rehab to give encouragement, (you are my hero kind of stuff).
Donating toys to yesomim?
Dedicate learning mishnayos for refuah shelayma for a soldier in the hospital (some are in great need of rachamim from shamayim).

keym

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:04 pm
DVOM wrote:
Definitely leaning towards buffet.

Maybe the main course buffet.

But the tables are set with rolls and salads in advance.

I like Bisayata Dishmayas idea of something for eretz Yisroel.
I don't know exactly but maybe something in preparation with a culmination when you iyh go.
If you can find out a boy or group of boys who are displaced whose bar mitzvah will come out when you are planning on going.
Then you and your guests do something, make something at your party and bring it to the Israeli boys party when you get there

I don't know exactly
Just maybe there's some way to combine the war, your trip and party all together into something meaningful.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:10 pm
DVOM wrote:
Mr. 13's bo bayom and leining is Shabbos chol hamoed Pesach. My folks will come, but that's it. I wish I could host a big Shabbos with all of our family, but realistically this just isn't something I'm up for planning or paying for. Because it's Pesach I'd have a really hard time putting up and feeding everyone.

The party for family and friends in our home will be separate, probably after Pesach. That's what I'd love some menu and entertainment help with.

You can still throw (KLP) candies at shule. Have the men dance around the bimah after his aliya, maybe someone put him on their shoulder. Serve his favorite foods. Any nod to his favorite stuff is appreciated. You can appropriately decorate the table to something that will say Mr 13. Sign on your door. Have him give a Dvar Tora at the table and give him a standing ovation. Is anyone a gramman writer in the family? He will appreciate the small stuff as well.

Coffee beanz

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:12 pm
We made our own photo booth. Put up a sparkly fun background and got different fun props from party city and etsy. It was for a bas mitzvah but it's a nice side activity that's keeps people engaged

teachkids

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:12 pm
A bit out of the box- what if you do a really nice breakfast something for his hanachas tefillin.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:17 pm
Re the balloon arch, I did one of those Amazon kits for my son's upsherin and it came out really nice. It was a little difficult to figure out how to hang them properly but I have since seen some video hacks on the topic. If you do decide to do this, check sizes carefully. Some look huge on the pictures but are actually very small.

I love the meat pizza idea. For less work, I'd probably do pulled beef either plain or with "bread" options like soft and hard taco shells, mini pita, baked dough rounds, etc. with sauces and toppings. Was a real big hit at our simcha. Buying a whole brisket comes out cheaper than buying many small pieces.

Writergirl

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:20 pm
Can I just say DVMOM that I love your refreshing outlook on life? This thread jus a joy to read with good memories from your last simcha as well.

EMEN

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:34 pm
teachkids wrote:
A bit out of the box- what if you do a really nice breakfast something for his hanachas tefillin.

I love this idea

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:35 pm
We made a Bar Mitzvah during Covid, not during the initial lockdown but early enough that we didn't feel comfortable making a big traditional event. So we had a full dinner for family (~50), followed by a really lavish dessert reception for friends, neighbors, his class, etc.

We used a party planner, but you could easily do just a dessert reception yourself and have fancy chocolate fountains, make your own milkshake stations, do it yourself ice cream sundae, etc. That would keep your costs down and invite more people while allowing you to focus your creative energy in one specific direction.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:58 pm
Didn’t read the whole thread but just to let you know Amazon has some great balloon arch kits for really cheap ($20 and less). You can get a cheap compressor for $20, too. We got one and have been able to decorate tons of simchas for very little money. I usually give the job of blowing & constructing to the 10-15 year old boys (though the girls that age enjoy it, too).

They might also be a good source for backdrops & props for a Photo Booth.

For the Pesach event, keep in mind fruit, veggies, nuts.

For the ‘dinner’: my parents had a similar issue for my brother (many years ago-we also went to Israel for the summer) they did a Sunday afternoon bbq/buffet. We actually did it in the backyard. They called it an open house, people came for as long as they wanted. Very casual, lots of fun.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:41 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Didn’t read the whole thread but just to let you know Amazon has some great balloon arch kits for really cheap ($20 and less). You can get a cheap compressor for $20, too. We got one and have been able to decorate tons of simchas for very little money. I usually give the job of blowing & constructing to the 10-15 year old boys (though the girls that age enjoy it, too).

Could you post links to your arch kit and compressor?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:04 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Could you post links to your arch kit and compressor?

This is the compressor:
Compressor

This is the arch kit I have:

Arch Kit
I see it’s not available but if you search balloon arch on Amazon you’ll get a bunch of option. Some come with balloons, others are just the frame.

DVOM

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:06 am
Bumping this up! I had a busy 3 weeks.....but back to party planning!!

DVOM

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:07 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:

They might also be a good source for backdrops & props for a Photo Booth.

For the Pesach event, keep in mind fruit, veggies, nuts.

For the ‘dinner’: my parents had a similar issue for my brother (many years ago-we also went to Israel for the summer) they did a Sunday afternoon bbq/buffet. We actually did it in the backyard. They called it an open house, people came for as long as they wanted. Very casual, lots of fun.

Love love love the idea of an open house/BBQ.

Details please!!!

DVOM

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:07 am
Writergirl wrote:
Can I just say DVMOM that I love your refreshing outlook on life? This thread jus a joy to read with good memories from your last simcha as well.

Awwww, thanks Writer!

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:09 am
teachkids wrote:

I did this for my son. Honestly it was the part of the Simcha that I enjoyed the most.

DVOM

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:10 am
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Tzitzis tying?
Letter writing to soldiers in rehab to give encouragement, (you are my hero kind of stuff).
Donating toys to yesomim?
Dedicate learning mishnayos for refuah shelayma for a soldier in the hospital (some are in great need of rachamim from shamayim).

I could definitely see some sort of letter writing.

We're going to be pressed for space heading to Israel, so it would have to be something that packs small.

Trying to brainstorm this part of the party. A table set up somewhere with art supplies and letter templates? I can see the little kids enjoying it for sure.

DVOM

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:12 am
amother Ebony wrote:
I did this for my son. Honestly it was the part of the Simcha that I enjoyed the most.

I love the idea, but my son doesn't. In his school, right after davening there's a donut party with his class, and I think he doesn't want to miss that.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:15 am
amother Ebony wrote:

I'm planning a breakfast for my son iyh. What did you have by yours? Any tips?

This will be on his bo bayom and the day he puts on tefillin since we dont put on early.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:47 am
Mazel tov!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics