Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How would you handle this AirBNB policy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are planning on a short family vacation in the next few weeks. The goal is to go somewhere away from where we live, find a nice house with some amenities, and just chill and relax together.
We found a perfect listing at a very good price. We would leave our house on Sunday, get there after 4 pm check-in and then leave Tuesday morning to come back home.

The checkout time listed is 10 am. I asked the owner if we can extend it slightly as we take good care to clean up after ourselves and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to do so.
She responded that this is not possible because they are booked back to back and their cleaning crew needs sufficient time to clean the whole place. (it's a huge house so I can understand).

I then responded that I get it; would they make a fuss if we ended up walking out closer to 10:30/10:45?
She said, "if you really want that late checkout, book an additional night and we'll give you a 50% discount."

Eh, what about them being booked back to back? According to the AirBNB listing, the house is not reserved again until a week after we leave.

I really want the house; it's gorgeous and meets all our requirements. It's expensive and really beyond our budget but we would splurge because it looks awesome.
But I REALLY don't want to feel like I have to run out promptly at 10 am.

I'm annoyed at the owner, to be honest. (it's a management company; maybe that's the difference?)
Warning- you might find this harsh.
I think it's totally valid for you to ask the first time, but then to persist and ask a 2nd time for an extra half hour??? Please, stop "Jewing" them. You are giving them reason to despise Jews. This is not what Hashem wants.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:19 pm
Yes wasn't wrong of you to ask but got to accept they said no

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:25 pm
I agree with others. either pay the 50% for 3rd night or move on to another airbnb. I'm sure there are others..

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:28 pm
You arrive on Sunday after 4pm and leave Tuesday morning. That's less than 2 full days.

How much stuff are you bringing that packing up and leaving by 10am is so stressful?

Also, while there was nothing wrong about asking to check out late, as soon as you got your answer, you should have dropped it.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:55 pm
I don't blame your kids for being upset at you. It's a bit weird to be honest. You are canceling it because you won't be ready to leave at 10? but you would be ready to leave at 10:30?
You're not responding to everyone here who is telling you there's not much to do in the morning. Why wake up at dawn?? That's what the cleaning crew is for

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:04 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
I get you, it's really annoying. Especially since you know she's lying to you but it's her house, her rules...
It's upsetting but there's nothing to do!
Either accept the deal or leave early! Sad

She’s not lying! The house can easily be booked that day for another night and most airbnbs need to have the house available for a cleaning crew by a certain time. There’s a schedule and it’s a lot to manage.

Agree with others that it’s perfectly ok to ask but super rude to keep asking.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:10 pm
Can you clean and pack most stuff the night before? Pack everything and just prepare the clothes for the next day and viola

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:15 pm
We ask after we book and when it gets closer and we see it’s not booked for the next day. We usually get a yes at that point. You are asking too early

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:36 am
I didn’t read all the replies but here’s my two cents.
Someone wrote what’s the big deal hotels have 10AM checkouts- I travel very frequently and have never been to a hotel with a 10 AM checkout it’s always minimum 11 but usually 12.
Hotels do not expect you to clean the house from top to bottom, strip linens, take out the garbage and do who knows what else before checkout like Airbnb does.
When I’m on vacation, especially if I’m splurging, I don’t want to be waking up at the crack of dawn to clean. I want to enjoy my vacation and sleep in.
I wouldn’t stay here if they’re asking to clean the house by 10 am. For me this would be a big no, especially if they’re not booked and they’re not being accommodating. If it’s not busy season, they will most likely not be booked and will lose out on the sale.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:39 am
Whenever we stay in a hotel or airbnb, we are packed the night before. You're going for 2 nights. How much stuff are you planning to bring?
How dirty could the place possibly get?
I'm not sure why you think you'll have so much cleaning to do.
After everyone eats supper on Monday night, clean up the major trash and straighten up a bit. 20 minutes max.

Leave out the clothing for Tuesday, everything else gets packed.

The management company doesn't expect you to scrub down each toilet.

On Tuesday morning pajamas go in the suitcase after everyone gets dressed. 15 min.
Simple breakfast, trash in the trash can and walk out.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:42 am
amother Babypink wrote:
Someone wrote what’s the big deal hotels have 10AM checkouts- I travel very frequently and have never been to a hotel with a 10 AM checkout it’s always minimum 11 but usually 12.
Hotels do not expect you to clean the house from top to bottom, strip linens, take out the garbage and do who knows what else before checkout like Airbnb does.
When I’m on vacation, especially if I’m splurging, I don’t want to be waking up at the crack of dawn to clean. I want to enjoy my vacation and sleep in.
I wouldn’t stay here if they’re asking to clean the house by 10 am. For me this would be a big no, especially if they’re not booked and they’re not being accommodating. If it’s not busy season, they will most likely not be booked and will lose out on the sale.

I've never been in an airbnb that expected me to strip the beds. That's what the cleaning service does.
You leave the airbnb in reasonable condition. That means that after you watch a movie at night you clean up the trash that ended up on the floor. Not that you drag out shmattas and a vacuum cleaner.
They expect that you don't leave 3 days worth of garbage bags rotting in the kitchen but that's pretty much it.
OP is going for 2 nights. There can't be that much to clean up after a trip that short.

salt

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:27 am
Pack most of your stuff the night before, get up way later than the crack of dawn, and don't clean up.
They have a cleaning crew coming in.

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:00 am
essie14 wrote:
I've never been in an airbnb that expected me to strip the beds. That's what the cleaning service does.
You leave the airbnb in reasonable condition. That means that after you watch a movie at night you clean up the trash that ended up on the floor. Not that you drag out shmattas and a vacuum cleaner.
They expect that you don't leave 3 days worth of garbage bags rotting in the kitchen but that's pretty much it.
OP is going for 2 nights. There can't be that much to clean up after a trip that short.

I rented an air bnb that had listed as one of their rules to strip all the beds (6 if I remember correctly) and put the linen in designated hampers. I was a bit taken aback but I did it.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:16 am
Asking for late check out is normal. Begging or negotiating is kind of rude. It’s a pretty typical policy.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:26 am
I recently stayed in airbnb with 12 checkout. I saw that it was wasnt booked so I asked if we can stay till 1. She said sure she will schedule the cleaning crew for 2. We were also allowed to check in earlier. We did not need to strip linen.
We did not want to rush out as our flight was in the afternoon and bh she was very gracious about it. Had she said no I would have left at 12

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:41 am
kenz wrote:
I rented an air bnb that had listed as one of their rules to strip all the beds (6 if I remember correctly) and put the linen in designated hampers. I was a bit taken aback but I did it.

That’s uncommon unless there is no or a low cleaning fee

bnm

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:42 am
Either you book the extra day or you find a different one if the later checkout makes such a big difference.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:48 am
amother Babypink wrote:

You have just highlighted the reason that many people are no longer booking with Airbnb or VRBO. The cleaning fees have gotten out of hand, and the cleaning requirements of the guests are also very high. If I’m paying a cleaning fee, I don’t want to have to do the cleaning. Many hosts are not asking for basic cleaning, they’re asking for way more than a hotel would, and charging a lot for it as well.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:52 am
tichellady wrote:
That’s uncommon unless there is no or a low cleaning fee

Until very recently the house rules of the many houses ive stayed in 90% said to strip the linen. Sometimes even to start the first load! I think airbnb has been discouraging this due to complaints. Usually they require counter wipe down, broom swept, garbage taken out as well. It my family is eating breakfast this all adds up.

In a hotel, I try not to be a pig but I dont do any of that (aside for visable crumb wipe down)

Believe me there is also a cleaning fee! (Though the houses themselves were not high end).

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:53 am
amother Birch wrote:
Until very recently the house rules alwayscsaid to strip the linen. Sometimes even to start the first load! I think airbnb has been discouraging this due to complaints. Usually they require counter wipe down and broom swept as well. It my family is eating breakfast this all adds up.

Believe me there is also a cleaning fee! (Though the houses themselves were not high end).

I have stayed in many airbnbs and never had this, that would annoy me
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics