Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is anyone's teen on Abilify or other antipsychotic?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:30 pm
My child has some extreme views and the therapist thinks going on an antipsychotic will help ground him to be able to get through to him in therapy.

This son has been through MANY therapists, and taken many types of medicines (for ADHD, OCD etc) up until antipsychotics, to me that was a whole other level of medication and we didn't do it. (We tried a lot of natural stuff too) And now we are at a dead end.

I'm scared of the medicine! But I'm also scared not to try the medicine because my son can't stay status-quo for life.

Please tell me your experience with it:
Was your child diagnosed with schizophrenia? (mine was not, but he does have rigid thoughts and non realistic views)
Did you child have side effects? If yes, did they go away when stopping the medicine?
Did the medicine help accomplish what it was you wanted it to? (And what was that?) And how long until it started working?
Was your child able to come off the medication? And if yes, did all the issues return?

(Did anyone try a different medication for similar issues and did it help?)

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:32 pm
I don’t have experience with this but I want to wish you and your son hatzlachah and brachah, what a difficult nisayon. IyH you should be able to find the right shaliach to help him through this asap.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:36 pm
kenz wrote:
I don’t have experience with this but I want to wish you and your son hatzlachah and brachah, what a difficult nisayon. IyH you should be able to find the right shaliach to help him through this asap.

Amen! Thank you for this.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:40 pm
My teen is on Abilify. She did have very strong, unusual opinions. This has really helped her become more relaxed, and thought out. She can have a conversation and sit through listening to someone else’s point of view. She doesn’t have a diagnosis, but does interesting physical movements due to sensory issues. Her issues seem to stem from anxiety and her psychiatrist doesn’t like the typical ant-anxiety meds for kids, so he recommended this one. If she misses a dose, she gets a headache and feels like she has fever, but doesn’t actually have any.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:47 pm
I took Abilify for depression. It's not a real hard core drug. "Atypical antipsychotics" sounds a lot scarier than it is. The real antipsychotics - like Risperidone - are much stronger than other psychotropic medications. Abilify is not like that. I even took it through pregnancy without issues.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:51 pm
My son is on Abilify for Tourette’s. Does not have any side affects and it seems to work well. Dr keeps mentioning that she wants him off of it eventually as it’s not as safe long term as other medications but for now he’s on it. I agree with poster above that it’s not as strong as reperidol or other antipsychotics (which we have tried).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:52 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
My teen is on Abilify. She did have very strong, unusual opinions. This has really helped her become more relaxed, and thought out. She can have a conversation and sit through listening to someone else’s point of view. She doesn’t have a diagnosis, but does interesting physical movements due to sensory issues. Her issues seem to stem from anxiety and her psychiatrist doesn’t like the typical ant-anxiety meds for kids, so he recommended this one. If she misses a dose, she gets a headache and feels like she has fever, but doesn’t actually have any.

Thank you for your response! My son can have a conversation and "physically listen" to someone's opinion, but he won't "hear" it or let it change his opinion in any way. Are the physical movements a side effect of the medication, or she had them before?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:58 pm
amother Daisy wrote:

How long did it take to see results?

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 7:30 pm
My daughter was on Abilify for some time as a teen, she has a mood disorder (bipolar II, milder form of bipolar disorder really). She had depression/racing thoughts and also couldn't sleep at night, hypomania. She takes lithium which stabilized the moods but was still having trouble with sleep.
We found the Abilify affected her concentration and made her more tired. Helped with the sleep but too much! Affected her performance in school..... She ended up coming off it and takes a small dose of seroquel now instead.
She did not take it for the symptoms you describe (she's an easygoing sweetheart) so not sure her experience will help you.....
I want to say I understand being scared of medicine - starting my daughter on medicine was the scariest thing I ever did in my life. But I've learned not to be so afraid. Not taking medicine that is needed is scarier.

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 7:39 pm
My 10 year old is on Abilify and has been on various antipsychotics since age 7. Abilify is a more mild med, it has saved our family with no negative side effects! Takes a couple weeks to work but definitely worth a try!

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 8:35 pm
I think I saw changes after just a few days, but we were told not to expect changes until on it for two weeks. Her physical symptoms, clenching her fists near her face, pressured, overly loud speech, etc. were from before Abilify, but were greatly lessened while on it.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 8:38 pm
We loved Abilify until we didn't. It did amazing things for reducing his rigidity, and he was on it for many years. But it did cause some movement issues and eventually we had to pull him off it.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 8:43 pm
Dc12 is on abilify for close to a year and is doing well with it BH.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:47 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
We loved Abilify until we didn't. It did amazing things for reducing his rigidity, and he was on it for many years. But it did cause some movement issues and eventually we had to pull him off it.

what do you mean by movement issues? Like Tics? Did they go away when you took him off? did you find a good replacement medicine? My son has had tics that come and go so I'm wondering if that would make him more susceptible?

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:13 am
amother OP wrote:
My child has some extreme views and the therapist thinks going on an antipsychotic will help ground him to be able to get through to him in therapy.

This son has been through MANY therapists, and taken many types of medicines (for ADHD, OCD etc) up until antipsychotics, to me that was a whole other level of medication and we didn't do it. (We tried a lot of natural stuff too) And now we are at a dead end.

I'm scared of the medicine! But I'm also scared not to try the medicine because my son can't stay status-quo for life.

Please tell me your experience with it:
Was your child diagnosed with schizophrenia? (mine was not, but he does have rigid thoughts and non realistic views)
Did you child have side effects? If yes, did they go away when stopping the medicine?
Did the medicine help accomplish what it was you wanted it to? (And what was that?) And how long until it started working?
Was your child able to come off the medication? And if yes, did all the issues return?

(Did anyone try a different medication for similar issues and did it help?)

Have you considered that he may be ASD? A hallmark of ASD is mental rigidity, unable to see other people's views, and even appearing to live in their own world. Your son may be HFASD. Very HF but still ASD. Many HFASD kids get diagnosed with ADHD (which they may also have) and also diagnosed with OCD (which they may not have, just the fixations/obsessions are symptoms of ASD), often anxiety as well, etc.

Mine takes Risperdal and it helps him be a calmer person, less agitated, less rigid, less aggressive. We have seen no side effects on the Risperdal, he's been on it for about two years now.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:29 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
Have you considered that he may be ASD? A hallmark of ASD is mental rigidity, unable to see other people's views, and even appearing to live in their own world. Your son may be HFASD. Very HF but still ASD. Many HFASD kids get diagnosed with ADHD (which they may also have) and also diagnosed with OCD (which they may not have, just the fixations/obsessions are symptoms of ASD), often anxiety as well, etc.

Mine takes Risperdal and it helps him be a calmer person, less agitated, less rigid, less aggressive. We have seen no side effects on the Risperdal, he's been on it for about two years now.

Yes he may be HFASD. Would that make a difference as far as will medication work for him to be less rigid in thoughts and less obsessive in his ideas?
(He is not agitated. I know resperidal is often helpful for aggression/agitation)

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 8:16 am
amother OP wrote:
what do you mean by movement issues? Like Tics? Did they go away when you took him off? did you find a good replacement medicine? My son has had tics that come and go so I'm wondering if that would make him more susceptible?

My son takes Abilify for tics so I don’t think you have to worry about that.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 8:54 am
My son takes vraylar very low dose for exploding and overly strong emotional outbursts and not good thinking for ptsd symptoms. B”h no side effects and working well.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 9:13 am
The movement issues are called tardive dyskinesia. If your child has tics or tic like movements I would make sure the doctor knows that.

I believe abilify is actually commonly given to children with ASD. It's actually FDA approved for treating irritability in ASD. For all that's worth.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:16 pm
Thanks for all the replies. It was really helpful (until I googled tardive dyskinesia. aah!).

Please continue to post about if abilify caused tardive dyskinesia for someone you know, did it go away after stopping the med?

Also please continue to post if it helped for non-typical thoughts/ideas, and if it made them more grounded?

Thank
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics