Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Toys for 4 month old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:44 am
Some background: I work from home and have a 4 month old DD. She just learned to roll into her stomach, and will do so at every opportunity, but forgot how to get onto her back so gets very frustrated when she can't.

My workload isn't that big at the moment, but I sometimes have longer meetings that don't always line up with her naps, which are on the shorter side anyway. We have a swing and a bouncer, but she won't stay happy in those for more than a few minutes.

What kind of toys are there out there to keep her entertained for a while? Is it too early for a standing gym?

Don't want to put her in daycare before 6 months, for sure.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:47 am
Standing gyms are not good for babies. The best is anything on the floor, whether on stomach, back or side. At that age my babies like toys that make rattling sounds, anything interesting they can fit in their mouth. Also some kids like the water mats.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:53 am
Best not to use swing or bouncer so don't worry if she doesn't like it
Don't waste money on a gym

Teach her to roll back over by moving her body a few times for her (prop elbow in to 90 degrees with thumbs up)

I have a full guide of best toys for the first year and in it I explain what to look for at each stage to encourage development

For example at 4 months:
Toys that encourage grasping, have some sort of natural cause effect like bell, and can also be brought to mouth, and can encourage crawling.

Examples: Skwish, winkel, bell rattle, infantino balls are great

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:16 am
On her stomach on the floor is the best position. Surround her with colorful things. Toys or even everyday objects that are baby safe. She will learn to grab them and then start to move to be able to reach them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics