Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
S\o how do you come up with seminary payment ?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:32 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
No, after they come home from sem, most of them go to college to get good jobs so they can support themselves. Despite what you read on imamother, plenty of girls manage shidduchim, dating and getting married without their parents having to promise or provide support.
Of course this means there aren't that many that go into teaching anymore. But decent pay for female teachers is long overdue, so maybe in the long run that's a good thing.

That’s good to hear!

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:39 am
amother Catmint wrote:
I am not at that stage yet, but I heard from a neighbor--if you are below a certain income, and go through an accredited school (Such as maalot, TTI, etc) to seminary, you can get FAFSA and other scholarships. They add up quickly and the girl can go to seminary for very little or almost free.

This is great for them but unbelievably hard on the middle class.
They don't qualify for scholarships and don't have enough money saved, but they still have to send their girls because the rich girls go and the poor girls go...

I am SHOCKED that "daas torah" advised parents above to empty their rainy day fund to send a daughter to seminary.

What happened to being "mistapek b'muat"- satisfied with less? What happens if the parents have a really emergency such as a health crisis R"L? They'll have to resort to tzedakah.

Seminary is NOT an emergency.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 6:25 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:

I am SHOCKED that "daas torah" advised parents above to empty their rainy day fund to send a daughter to seminary.

What happened to being "mistapek b'muat"- satisfied with less? What happens if the parents have a really emergency such as a health crisis R"L? They'll have to resort to tzedakah.

Seminary is NOT an emergency.

That’s why they are daas Torah and you are not. They think differently than you.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:04 am
I’m curious how much everyone pays for high school? Because that costs a lot of money too. So I think of the seminary fee as the difference between high school. And then room and board for a year costs also. So how much is the “excess” that everyone talks about?
(We’ve started putting money in 529 plans for our kids, even though they’re young. We know we plan for them to go to yeshiva, seminary, college, or both. And you can use the money for any of them!)

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:07 am
I sent my dd to sem in NY because we can't afford EY. We get a lot of financial aid. And she's thriving there BH. My next dd will also go in NY unless she opts to just get a job.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:16 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
I’m curious how much everyone pays for high school? Because that costs a lot of money too. So I think of the seminary fee as the difference between high school. And then room and board for a year costs also. So how much is the “excess” that everyone talks about?
(We’ve started putting money in 529 plans for our kids, even though they’re young. We know we plan for them to go to yeshiva, seminary, college, or both. And you can use the money for any of them!)

You don't understand the difference between 10k for high school and 35k for sem?

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:38 am
amother Teal wrote:
You don't understand the difference between 10k for high school and 35k for sem?

Where I live, high school is more than 10k, and seminary is less than 35k!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:51 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Where I live, high school is more than 10k, and seminary is less than 35k!

Sem in Israel? How much is it including room and board?

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:53 am
My daughter is graduating this year from s regular BY high-school. So many graduates this year are either going to local sems or not at all. The school is furious.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:54 am
amother Oleander wrote:
No, the 100k debt was before seminary.
And then while they were drowning, they also sent to sem. Sure fafsa, sure the girls may have contributed but they still had to pay a LOT. Because they felt they "had to".
Its not a good idea to defend this.
Please, just acknowledge that there are families who really actually do not have a way to pay, and they do not actually "find a way".
it's beyond me how one can be in such massive debt and still send daughters to sem in Israel.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:54 am
amother Geranium wrote:
My daughter is graduating this year from s regular BY high-school. So many graduates this year are either going to local sems or not at all. The school is furious.

Why does the school care? And good for the girls for not caving to the pressure

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:56 am
amother Geranium wrote:
Why are they furious? They aren't paying for Israel sem.

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 7:58 am
amother Teal wrote:
Why does the school care? And good for the girls for not caving to the pressure

The entire 12th grade they talk about and pressure the girls and parents to send to EY. I dont know why.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:07 am
amother Teal wrote:
Sem in Israel? How much is it including room and board?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:29 am
amother Geranium wrote:
The entire 12th grade they talk about and pressure the girls and parents to send to EY. I dont know why.

Can someone in chinuch let us now please? Is the school getting some incentive? Percentage?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:30 am
amother Raspberry wrote:

Not including flights or pocket money I guess.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:32 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Can someone in chinuch let us now please? Is the school getting some incentive? Percentage?

No of course not!! The reason is that the girls who skip seminary entirely (go straight to work and/ or college) don’t do as well as the girls who get an extra year of kodesh learning, with some supervision. A lot of girls aren’t ready for the “real world” straight out of 12th grade and need a transition year. Depending where you live, there aren’t local seminary options, so it means going out of town or to Israel. (Both very expensive because there is tuition costs + room and board + trips.)

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:33 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Not including flights or pocket money I guess.
correct, but many, many girls pay for that on their own and earn that money from tutoring, summer jobs, etc.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:40 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
correct, but many, many girls pay for that on their own and earn that money from tutoring, summer jobs, etc.

Maybe it would be more beneficial to save that money for when they get married so they can support themselves.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 8:42 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
No of course not!! The reason is that the girls who skip seminary entirely (go straight to work and/ or college) don’t do as well as the girls who get an extra year of kodesh learning, with some supervision. A lot of girls aren’t ready for the “real world” straight out of 12th grade and need a transition year. Depending where you live, there aren’t local seminary options, so it means going out of town or to Israel. (Both very expensive because there is tuition costs + room and board + trips.)

What so you mean by "not doing a well as the girls"
How old are they in 12th grade?
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info