Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
There are no normal jobs for men
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:14 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
I work in the finance/accounting field. If he interested in that, I think it's a great career path for men if he can get an accounting degree. There are lots of jobs in the frum world and many of the higher paying/upper management jobs may be more suited for men because they require longer hours.
He should also try to get certified in whatever he can at his job now to prove his skills to a future employers. Like if he works with a specific e-commerce platform, he should check if that platform offers certification.

He can get an accounting degree. That’s a great idea, thank you!
Appreciate all the helpful responses!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:35 pm
My dh got his current job by cold calling someone at the company he wanted to work for, and asking for an informational interview. They liked him and created a job for him even though they weren’t officially hiring.

devoh

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Amber wrote:
My dh got his current job by cold calling someone at the company he wanted to work for, and asking for an informational interview. They liked him and created a job for him even though they weren’t officially hiring.

That is amazing it also takes alot of guts

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:37 pm
Op, I recommend reading the book What Color is Your Parachute. It will guide your husband in how to get an excellent job even without a degree. It also has great tips on how to be the one who gets the job you want and what to say and do at the interview to make him be the one hired.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:53 pm
My husband does not have a degree and learned in kollel for many years, but he is very smart. He started out doing some small jobs that were commission based or very basic pay but they helped him learn the fields. When he was looking for a better job, he applied to tons of places but didn't get anywhere. Finally, he began calling friends and relatives and asking them if they know of any jobs and B"H he got a job that he loves which started at 75k.

Your husband needs to network and go out of his comfort zone and let everyone he knows that he is looking for a new job.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:53 pm
amother Amber wrote:

Oh wow I’m impressed.
I guess its a combo of luck, degrees, and sheer gut out there lol

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Op, I recommend reading the book What Color is Your Parachute. It will guide your husband in how to get an excellent job even without a degree. It also has great tips on how to be the one who gets the job you want and what to say and do at the interview to make him be the one hired.

Thank you! I just ordered it, looks great

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:05 pm
amother Iris wrote:
Are you in Lakewood, op? The job situation here for men nowadays is a dumpster fire. My husband has been looking for a job for such a long time. It is so demoralizing. He sounds very similar to your husband.

We spoke to PCS (agudah organization in Lakewood that helps people find jobs) who said that currently, they don’t have ANY jobs to offer men without experience or a degree. It’s unbelievable. Most companies are laying off, not hiring, in this economy. And the ones that are hiring want the cream of the crop if they’re hiring a man. It’s like reverse sexism.

Sorry, that makes zero sense. I know of companies that are very happy to hire men and advertise in the BP. Maybe the issue is that men think that they're going to start out in an entry level position making a six figure salary and they won't.

Beautiful

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:05 pm
If your husband has an actual degree and work experience, he may consider applying for a federal job. They can be remote and have very good benefits. I recommend learning how to write a federal resume first since they are very different than corporate resumes.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:09 pm
$60,000 is a great salary for a first job. I wouldn’t rush to leave it until you have something else in your pocket.

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:09 pm
There does seem to be a huge pay-jump from "regular employee" to "management" in both the pay and the life-work balance that is very difficult to navigate.

My husband has a similar type job and right now making $60k, he works 9-5 without much impact to work-home life (he works from home, so no commute, but it also means that if he starts work late, he will work late to make it up). But to go any higher in his company would mean going back to the office, and working much more hours.

I have a love-hate relationship with my job/career. But to go any higher would mean working much more hours, and less time for my kids and home which I'm already not amazing at.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:15 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Sorry, that makes zero sense. I know of companies that are very happy to hire men and advertise in the BP. Maybe the issue is that men think that they're going to start out in an entry level position making a six figure salary and they won't.

No the issue is that companies want experience for entry level jobs with entry level salaries that don’t require a specific skill or degree

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:24 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
$60,000 is a great salary for a first job. I wouldn’t rush to leave it until you have something else in your pocket.

You’re right. He’s been there for a few years, he didn’t start out with that. We’re not rushing to leave but we’re looking into other options because even though he got small raises he hasn’t got more responsibilities that would expand his skills

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
You’re right. He’s been there for a few years, he didn’t start out with that. We’re not rushing to leave but we’re looking into other options because even though he got small raises he hasn’t got more responsibilities that would expand his skills

E-commerce is having a hard time right now
In that case, it may make sense to offer the company to take on more responsibilities for the same pay. Just to keep building his skills so his resume gets better and when the market shifts again (probably after elections) he will have more skills.

It took me 6 months to transition to the position I am in now.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:05 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
E-commerce is having a hard time right now
In that case, it may make sense to offer the company to take on more responsibilities for the same pay. Just to keep building his skills so his resume gets better and when the market shifts again (probably after elections) he will have more skills.

It took me 6 months to transition to the position I am in now.

That’s a great idea. I’ll mention it to him. Thank you!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:28 pm
College is not the be all, end all. Lots of people have college degrees and don't have high paying jobs. (I have 2 bachelors, a masters, and 20 years experience in my field and I make under 100k... I still have student loan debt, too.)

College can make sense if he is training for a specific field (accounting, law, healthcare).
For general business positions, he will always be at the mercy of his bosses and what they feel his work is worth.

One thing I didn't understand about careers when I was younger was that there are only a few jobs that have unlimited income potential... and NONE of them require college. You can start your own business (entrepreneur), or do real estate sales, or do securities sales/stock market.

If he has an interest in the stock market/securities... he does need some credentials to practice (the licensing), but you don't need a college degree. Being successful is more about street savvy and drive. (If you watch secular movies, OP, there is a cute film called "The Pursuit of Happyness" (with that misspelling), which is based on a true story of someone making it that way.

WonderIma

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:53 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Do you do law? We are willing to relocate to some places and DH is a lawyer and having no luck finding a job. He can often also do work telecommuting and did in the past so that is also an option...

Please PM me. I may have an idea for you.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:17 pm
amother Almond wrote:
But all of those career paths require a degree or certification of some kind.

Meaning no disrespect to OP, I am not sure what OP means by a "normal job" since OP has what would be considered a fairly well paying job for someone with only a high school education and no really marketable skills.

People seem to be suggesting career paths that require degrees or certifications that might make one more employable than a college degree with a major in History. But the reality is that a History Major with a college degree will have a better career path than a high school graduate with no "blue collar" certificates or skills like IT or electrical proficiency.

It is not "normal" for a high school graduate to earn $100,000 or $150,000 absent very unusual circumstances and statistically it doesn't happen for most people which is exactly why a college degree is generally viewed as very important as it opens doors even for people without specific STEM or business degrees.

The average guy who was in kollel for a few years has a BTL which is a college degree. If you just need to check the box that you graduated college (like the history major) then it might help.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:45 pm
amother Almond wrote:
I work in secular companies and have worked in many companies of different sizes.

The reality is that $60,000 is actually a fairly decent salary for someone with only a high school diploma and essentially no experience and what appears to be fairly minimal skills - I.e. nothing that a reasonably hard working person couldn't do.

He needs to have marketable skills that are worth a higher salary if that is his goal.

He doesn't have skills that provide a higher level of pay like IT, electrical or even plumbing.

He doesn't have a college degree and the reality is that most corporations require a college degree to hire people for positions in which they are on a career path.

He doesn't have accounting skills or a degree in business administration

It is difficult but the best thing he can do at this point is work with an actual career counselor and then work towards acquiring the certificates or degrees that would enable him to actually have a more well paying job with growth potential - or at least a job with a higher salary that brings good benefits. For example, health insurance for a family could be worth $20,000 in actual income since it isn't taxes.

It might be hard to take the necessary courses while working but people do this and often there are less expensive ways to get there like community colleges or grants.

ETA - There is a lot of anti-college bias on imamother but the reality is that college graduates do earn more than high school graduates in general. While they might start at $60,000 this is for positions in corporations which are viewed as promotable. All of the "assistants" at companies I worked for had degrees. Those without degrees stall at the bottom rung because they aren't viewed as promotable to higher levels.

My daughter has a masters in a hard science from a prestigious school and made less of a starting salary in NYC. Maybe the ridiculously high salaries women office workers get in Lakewood is distorting reality for you.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:59 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
My daughter has a masters in a hard science from a prestigious school and made less of a starting salary in NYC. Maybe the ridiculously high salaries women office workers get in Lakewood is distorting reality for you.

This.

I have a Master’s from NYU, 20 years work experience, and make 79K before tax’s and my health insurance contributions
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics