Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
There are no normal jobs for men
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 9:55 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
This.

I have a Master’s from NYU, 20 years work experience, and make 79K before tax’s and my health insurance contributions

A masters in what?
Not all degrees are created equal

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
A masters in what?
Not all degrees are created equal

It is low for 20 years of experience.

A teacher in the New York City Public school makes over $100,000 with a masters after far few years.

I mention teaching specifically because it is not considered to be a super well paying job but when one considered summer vacations as well as really good benefits, it really is an okay position. Two teachers can make over $200,000 plus at least one of them can generally get a well paying job in camp administration during the summer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:19 pm
amother Almond wrote:
It is low for 20 years of experience.

A teacher in the New York City Public school makes over $100,000 with a masters after far few years.

I mention teaching specifically because it is not considered to be a super well paying job but when one considered summer vacations as well as really good benefits, it really is an okay position. Two teachers can make over $200,000 plus at least one of them can generally get a well paying job in camp administration during the summer.

I think all the people saying they have a masters degree and aren’t making a lot are either teachers or special ed/p3 or OT and aren’t working full time. For a mother that’s very good pay for a lot of flexibility and a great work-life balance.

But if my husband would go get a degree he’s working full time and he’s not being a teacher lol so if all the ppl who say degrees aren't worth much are the woman who have masters in education than I’m not sure what to think

Does anyone’s husband have a degree in who can chime in here? Do you feel like it opened more doors

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think all the people saying they have a masters degree and aren’t making a lot are either teachers or special ed/p3 or OT and aren’t working full time. For a mother that’s very good pay for a lot of flexibility and a great work-life balance.

But if my husband would go get a degree he’s working full time and he’s not being a teacher lol so if all the ppl who say degrees aren't worth much are the woman who have masters in education than I’m not sure what to think

Does anyone’s husband have a degree in who can chime in here? Do you feel like it opened more doors

I don't know why you are making it gender specific.

Lots of women have degrees and are working in professions in which they make a lot of money or a relatively large amount of money. I make more than a teacher with my post graduate degrees and experience.

More than teaching but I was just responding to the post in which the woman said she was making only $80,000 with a masters and 20 years of experience.

An ambitious person can take a typical degree and run with it. My cousin was a teacher and then became a principal and then got a high level position in a school district. My other cousin was an RN and hated it and went to work at a health insurance company and worked up to a high level executive position.

I thought you said you husband had a college degree though a few pages back.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:35 pm
amother Almond wrote:
I don't know why you are making it gender specific.

Lots of women have degrees and are working in professions in which they make a lot of money or a relatively large amount of money. I make more than a teacher with my post graduate degrees and experience.

More than teaching but I was just responding to the post in which the woman said she was making only $80,000 with a masters and 20 years of experience.

An ambitious person can take a typical degree and run with it. My cousin was a teacher and then became a principal and then got a high level position in a school district. My other cousin was an RN and hated it and went to work at a health insurance company and worked up to a high level executive position.

I thought you said you husband had a college degree though a few pages back.

He has a bachelors in liberal arts.

I just don’t know men that have a degree in education and are teachers and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of that r woman

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:39 pm
If you consider the amount of money and time a degree will take I don’t think it’s worth it unless he has a specific job in mind that requires it.

$60,000 is not an entry level pay. Even in manhattan in many fields entry level pay is more like $45, 000. I have a not frum cousin who graduated with his MBA From a great university and his mother was so proud that he was making $70,000 right away. He had also done a number of high level internships in finance firms in manhattan.

The issue is, $60,000 is not nearly enough for a person trying to support a family. I’m not sure , without experience, how to land a job paying $80,000 or $100,000. Those are higher positions normally . Would your dh be open to starting his own business?
When my husband left kollel we had a few kids and no money. He applied for jobs for a while ans nothing was happening. He eventually started his own business that has bh done well

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
He has a bachelors in liberal arts.

I just don’t know men that have a degree in education and are teachers and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of that r woman

My best friends husband has a degree in education and teaches at a public school. However I think he makes about $65,000 without significant room for growth.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:50 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
If you consider the amount of money and time a degree will take I don’t think it’s worth it unless he has a specific job in mind that requires it.

$60,000 is not an entry level pay. Even in manhattan in many fields entry level pay is more like $45, 000. I have a not frum cousin who graduated with his MBA From a great university and his mother was so proud that he was making $70,000 right away. He had also done a number of high level internships in finance firms in manhattan.

The issue is, $60,000 is not nearly enough for a person trying to support a family. I’m not sure , without experience, how to land a job paying $80,000 or $100,000. Those are higher positions normally . Would your dh be open to starting his own business?
When my husband left kollel we had a few kids and no money. He applied for jobs for a while ans nothing was happening. He eventually started his own business that has bh done well

I honestly don’t see him starting a business, but you never know. He's not that outgoing, go getter hustler type. He's more book smart, like very detail oriented and practical and likes to use his head and figure things out. Technical
I’m not sure how to explain it lol
I think he can do it if he wants to but it’s not where his strengths and interest lay

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 11:07 pm
I find where I live that managerial jobs for men usually offer higher starting salary off the bat and they don’t need degrees or a lot of experience to get hired I.e. construction site manager, property management etc
Jobs where they are on the move, not desk jobs.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 11:08 pm
He can get a job teaching for a title one agency with a bachelors degree. Possibly even a setts job with a bachelors.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 11:14 pm
I work in the accounting field, and while starting salaries are relatively low - similar to what your DH is making now - the potential for growth is enormous. And there are quick, relatively low costs options for accounting degrees that work well for the frum community. (It's not just PCS). Its worth looking into this, especially if he has a head for finance.

Another option - without a degree - is a career in a computer related field, whether computer programming or perhaps cybersecurity or similar. He would need to train, possibly boot camp- but again, the potential for growth in this field is high.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 11:16 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
I work in the accounting field, and while starting salaries are relatively low - similar to what your DH is making now - the potential for growth is enormous. And there are quick, relatively low costs options for accounting degrees that work well for the frum community. (It's not just PCS). Its worth looking into this, especially if he has a head for finance.

Another option - without a degree - is a career in a computer related field, whether computer programming or perhaps cybersecurity or similar. He would need to train, possibly boot camp- but again, the potential for growth in this field is high.

Thank you! This sounds like more his thing
Definitely will look into it
Do you happen to know of any course options?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 11:17 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
My best friends husband has a degree in education and teaches at a public school. However I think he makes about $65,000 without significant room for growth.

Many, if not most, public school positions pay more than that so I don't agree with the potential for growth statement. However I do agree with OP that this is a job better suited to a woman who wants a more flexible schedule (including summers off). Even at $100k, it's not great for a man.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 11:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! This sounds like more his thing
Definitely will look into it
Do you happen to know of any course options?

There are many frum programs that offer accounting degrees, including Sarah Schenirer, TTI, BTI, PCS, Cope, and probably a few more that I dont know about. Some are location dependent, though I think most have switched to online.

I don't know much about programming courses except that people I know took them and are working in programming, lol. Maybe another poster has more info.

Hope I was helpful!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:03 am
PCS- Master's program in accounting. I don't know if the others offer Master's, and I'd imagine it would mean your husband could start further up the pay scale.

Princess23

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:19 am
amother OP wrote:
I posted this in finance because Im not sure where else to post.
My husband is looking for a new job for a few months already and he’s having a very hard time. He reached out to a recruiting company who helped him with his resume, he’s gotten a few interviews but didn’t get hired for any.
Most frum companies don’t want to pay more than 60k (which is what he makes now) and anything that pays more requires a crazy amount of experience. I don’t get it.

He doesn’t have many fancy qualifications, he’s been working entry level for a frum company. They promised him a promotion managing another branch of the business which they haven’t opened yet, the business isnt growing fast enough, we don’t know if/when that’s going to happen and he’s looking to gain skills and for something that has more growth potential and can bring in a more solid income

He happens to be very interested in finance and the stock market/trading and he’s got a good head for it too. He’s very smart, he was thinking of going to college but we can’t afford it right now and we don’t know if it’s worth it in the long run… so many people say college degrees aren’t worth anything these days.

I guess I’m just venting because I’m so frustrated seeing him apply and getting interviews and waiting on pins and needles… and then nothing. Or a rejection call, if he’s lucky. I can’t work full time for various reasons so I can’t be relied on to help out with the finances in a significant way.

Depends what college degree. Like my husband said, college is an investment. So, even tho, you’re paying outrageous fees you’re getting a lot out of it.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:27 am
My husband is an engineer. He makes a nice salary now 6 years in. We lived OOT when he started and he was only making 55k, including with certification. He has a bachelor’s degree in engineering.

I make more than he does though with a higher degree in a related technical field.

My BIL is a teacher in public school.

The judgement on jobs for men versus women isn’t very kind. People don’t get paid more due to a gender at birth, it’s based on direct value they provide to a company.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:34 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Many, if not most, public school positions pay more than that so I don't agree with the potential for growth statement. However I do agree with OP that this is a job better suited to a woman who wants a more flexible schedule (including summers off). Even at $100k, it's not great for a man.

Again, I really don’t get this whole man thing. I’m paid for the value I bring whether I am a man or woman. More value, higher salary. My dh is making about this salary now. Granted we don’t live in the USA anymore, but this is a very strange mindset that men by birthright should make more than women. It is not true in my house, but it also doesn’t matter in my home because whatever we do, we do it together and see the value we each bring.

chestnut

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:42 am
Just an idea, but maybe he can find same type of an entry position with the same salary, but for a place that definitely has a potential for growth?

OT, but it sounds almost like a disservice when frum places pay $60K for an entry position without a degree. It's nowhere near the real world situation and then causes such issues when men want to grow.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:29 am
I think the accounting direction is a great option if he has a head for it

Another option is real estate appraisals. I don't know what state you are so I'll give you the NJ info.
Basically you need a BA to take the licensing exams, and then you need to work for someone to pass the licensing requirements, for the various levels of licensing. You get paid a very minimal amount while you are doing this. Once you finish all the licensing hours, the jobs usally start at 80k, but the goal is to go private eventually.

You can work for someone, work for the banks, or work for yourself. Its very stable no matter how the economy is doing - when its doing well people are buying property , when its doing bad people are trying to get lower values on property to lower taxes, people need appraisals for helloc's and refinancing, people need appraisals when they get divorced.

You can build yourself to the point you have a lot of people working under you, kind of like an accountant.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics