Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Taking kids to park after school
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you take your kids to the park after school?
Usually (more than once a week)  
 23%  [ 31 ]
No/rarely  
 51%  [ 68 ]
Every so often/at least once a week  
 25%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 132

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:01 pm
I actually work and come home with my kids, that’s why I take them so often. I over
compensate. I don’t make supper when I get home, I’m exhausted. I have other hacks for that. So I sit on a bench outside instead of on my couch inside.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:03 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Either you have to take the children out or you have to live in a place away from trafic where children can be independent in a clearly defined area and have their own social life outside.

but children need to be able to play outside and move.

Anything else is unhealthy.

Doctors complain that children today do not know how to do a forward roll any more. They spend too much time with screens and not enough time running around, exploring how they can move their own bodies.

My son plays outside at playgroup. I come home from work at 4:45 and pick him up on my way home. I can’t imagine going to the park after a full day of treating clients (I’m an OT). He goes to sleep at seven. He is developing beautifully bh. I don’t need more guilt, thank you very much.

stillnewlywed

amother OP wrote:
I'm guessing your screen name needs to be updated Hi

Lol I like it, it keeps me feeling young

teachkids

amother Lightgray wrote:
I'm curious what do park mommies do about supper?
When does that get done?

Tonight was pita and chumus. Stop at home on our way to the park to grab the packed lunch bag and they are in the park . Last night was salmon I had made the night before and kids just ate it cold when we got home. Night before that I put up in the crockpot before work. Etc.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:05 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
I'm curious what do park mommies do about supper?
When does that get done?

We only go if it's an easy supper day.
Fried schnitzel, scrambled eggs, pizza...this is pretty much what I do in the spring and summer so that we can play outside.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:17 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Call me a bad mom but I don't take my kids to the park and I don't even sit outside with them.

I have a neighbor who has 6 hours of cleaning help every day plus often buys takeout. So of course she can sit outside all afternoon.

I do take my kids to the park on Shabbos afternoon, and Sundays in the summer we go to parks

I HATE that we changed the clock. It was do much easier when it got dark earlier.

I don't have any cleaning help, never buy takeout, have a very busy day, yet make sure to take my kids outside every day. I really see the good it does for them. They eat & sleep way better during the playing outside season.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:18 pm
Sorry I am a good mommy who works all day so my kids can eat.
I am a good mommy who makes sure they have clean clothes, books to read, food to eat, homework done, and quality conversations. I make sure their medical needs are taken care of too.

But we don't do the park. None safe near me. We don't have a yard. And I have no time or energy. They run around at school (massive yard plus PE) so plenty of exercise. Sundays we try to bike ride or scooter.
But park =/= good mommy.

teachkids

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:19 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Call me a bad mom but I don't take my kids to the park and I don't even sit outside with them.

I work a whole day and come home together with the kids. Firstly, I'm exhausted at that point. I don't have energy to sit outside and watch my 2 year old like a hawk and chase after her so that she doesn't run into the street.

Secondly, I don't have the luxury of sitting outside and doing nothing. I need to to cook dinner, do laundry, clean, cook for shabbos starting wed (I work friday). I can't leave the housework till after the kids are in bed because I'm usually crashing by them

I have a neighbor who has 6 hours of cleaning help every day plus often buys takeout. So of course she can sit outside all afternoon.

I do take my kids to the park on Shabbos afternoon, and Sundays in the summer we go to parks

I HATE that we changed the clock. It was do much easier when it got dark earlier.

Honestly I find it easier outside than inside. I trained my two year old to stay out of the street last summer already, but parks and the backyard don’t have that problem. I set out the toys and take a seat

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:35 pm
Depends on the stage of life. Some seasons it's great and some it's not. Right now my kids get home tired (so do I) so going to the park won't work for them but we go on sundays and long Fridays. Luckily, I really don't have the energy right now. I get home at the same time as my kids from a demanding job and I'm having a difficult pregnancy, I'm happy to just watch them color and play with a story tape on

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:44 pm
I think it's equally beneficial to take kids outside. I don't think the park is more beneficial necessarily. My kids love being outside and tire themselves out well enough to eat a good dinner and go to bed nicely. I wrote earlier I don't make a trip to a park but if the weather is nice I sit outside with my kids while they do chalk, bubbles, ride bikes, go on the trampoline...

I'll put up a "bake/cook for 2 hrs unattended" kind of supper and hang out outside near my house.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:48 pm
I usually find it easier to watch my kids at the park than at home where they're constantly fighting. If we would have a backyard it would probably be different.

I did a shop on the way home from work, put up a pan of lasagna on timer, and we headed out. Yesterday I did the same with chicken and potatoes. About 15-20 minutes prep time.
I don't work full time though.

To those that said it helps the kids sleep better, though... we were in the park for 2 hours this afternoon and my toddler is still up in bed after and hour and a half Can't Believe It

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:11 pm
[quote="amother Teal"]I don't have any cleaning help, never buy takeout, have a very busy day, yet make sure to take my kids outside every day. I really see the good it does for them. They eat & sleep way better during the playing outside season.[/quote

Yay for you. You win the best mommy award. And I'm the worst because I really can't do the outdoor time.

My kids get outdoor time in school. after school it's indoor play (no screen time, don't worry). And they sleep fine BH.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:12 pm
teachkids wrote:
Honestly I find it easier outside than inside. I trained my two year old to stay out of the street last summer already, but parks and the backyard don’t have that problem. I set out the toys and take a seat

Well for me.it is much much easier to be inside.

I don't have energy to shlep to a park and I don't have a backyard

Angel

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:16 pm
[quote="amother Rainbow"]
amother Teal wrote:
I don't have any cleaning help, never buy takeout, have a very busy day, yet make sure to take my kids outside every day. I really see the good it does for them. They eat & sleep way better during the playing outside season.[/quote

Yay for you. You win the best mommy award. And I'm the worst because I really can't do the outdoor time.

My kids get outdoor time in school. after school it's indoor play (no screen time, don't worry). And they sleep fine BH.

You are a good mommy! Everyone has to do what works for them and keeps them and kids happy.
Keep it up and don't overwork Hug

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:25 pm
[quote="amother Rainbow"]
amother Teal wrote:
I don't have any cleaning help, never buy takeout, have a very busy day, yet make sure to take my kids outside every day. I really see the good it does for them. They eat & sleep way better during the playing outside season.[/quote

You're not the worst mommy & I'm not the best mommy. I never implied that.
We're all the best mommy for our kids & we try to do the best understand our circumstances.

I just wanted to point out that not
everyone that sits outside with their kids, has 6 hours of cleaning help every day, and buys takeout all the time.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:24 pm
I'll chime in that my kids behave better in the park then in my brooklyn basement with no air.

It's more for my 6 year old than my toddler, who gets playtime in playgroup.

I pre prep the good and live right next to the park.

I'd way rather a yard where they can run and play though, because the parks can get crowded.

If the things at home don't get done, oh well. I think it's healthy for them to run around and get fresh air Hiding

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:04 pm
My question is where do you all live?
Just curious…
I happen to have no yard and live on a very busy street.
The closest park is a 25 minute walk.
I love being outside and I never go out with my kids.
Not only that, I almost never go out besides to the grocery.
I think k that other families where I live are like that too.
Some buildings have a shared yard at least.
I am a great mommy but I think it’s a terrible situation.
My son is getting older and the little one are being pulled off the furniture because the way have nowhere to climb.

If you have a suggestion of where to go and how to GeT out of here, please please tell me.
I live in Brooklyn (obviously)

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:06 pm
Im in chicago and have at least 5 parks in a one mile radius.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Im in chicago and have at least 5 parks in a one mile radius.

Literally I can’t.
It’s important for mother’s too.
I don’t understand how my kids are sane.
My son sat in the bus for 90 minutes way home today was so much traffic in bp.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:16 pm
I don't take them much only because they are staggered coming home with the oldest coming about 5:30. I work and come home with the kids. I happen to have a massive yard with a huge swing set and trampoline. They have bikes/roller blades and a basketball hoop. They can always play outside if they want. (I wish they would use my swing set more!)

This week was stunning but I have a newborn (bris tomorrow iyh so brand new) and couldn't go out. Dd actually begged me to take them to the park after school but I told her it won't work for now.
In the spring/summer we do a lot of parks and outdoor things usually. Once in a while after school works but not often.
I try to do supper in the park or meet my siblings once in a while also.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics