Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help me slay my crockpot cholent
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’ve failed cholent so many times and having guest this week.
Can you help?

I have an 8 qt Crockpot brand crockpot. I like to put up cholent Thursday night for good flavor plus it’s ready Friday afternoon.

Sometimes the cholent works out but most times the food burns or I have to add water a few times, which makes me feel like it’s losing all taste.

What settings should I use to do this properly?

It tastes better putting it up on Friday morning.
The kuntz is the barley water ratio and the salt ratio.
How much of everything are you using? I'll give you water and salt amounts.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:43 pm
Do not leave on keep warm, I’d be nervous about food poisoning.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
It’s too early Thursday night. Put it up right before candle lighting on low

This
Perfect cholent every time

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:47 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
Not sure if you realize but this may be assur

Nope
Not at all
It either needs to be cooked or completely raw.
Ask you LOR

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:04 pm
I put it up Friday morning on high and switch to low before shabbos and add water if needed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:21 pm
Ok I heard y’all. Putting it up tomorrow morning. Thanks for weighing in!

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
It’s too early Thursday night. Put it up right before candle lighting on low

This all the way. It comes out amazing. Shocked anyone puts it up on thursday and it survives. When I put it up right before shabbos it's already a goner by motzei

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:26 pm
amother Peru wrote:
I make it Thursday evening all the time. I put it on high for a few hours. Switch to low before I go to sleep...there should be water covering but not tons extra...and Fri morning I switch it to keep warm. If there is still a lot of water I keep it on low and switch to keep warm later on. And I think putting it up Thurs night definitely enhances the flavor.

I don't think that's a very safe from a food safety perspective. That's a long time on warm.

mrsnistar

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:29 pm
I actually always put it up Thursday night, and it's delicious bH. It's all siyata d'Shmaya!

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:34 pm
What’s this new word “slay”?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:45 pm
Never, ever put plain pure water into food. Put something into the water. Ketchup is one idea. Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce is another. You can put a bit of both. Balsamic vinegar also, but not much of that. Osem powder, any kind. Stir with a fork in a glass, and in it goes.

If you are adding new water to an already cooking crock pot, boil that water to sterilize it. Microwaving it is the easiest way.

All this is before Shabbos obviously.

You are not putting enough water in.

The water should be two inches from the top, or the length of your pinky finger, right as you start the crock pot.

Barley takes a LOT of water, it expands a lot in cooking. It's a great food, sure, but give it enough water.

As people are saying, you should be starting the pot early Friday, no earlier. I start mine around 2 pm and we eat at 7 or so. Give the pot five hours from its start.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:51 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Never, ever put plain pure water into food. Put something into the water. Ketchup is one idea. Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce is another. You can put a bit of both. Balsamic vinegar also, but not much of that. Osem powder, any kind. Stir with a fork in a glass, and in it goes.

If you are adding new water to an already cooking crock pot, boil that water to sterilize it. Microwaving it is the easiest way.

The water should be two inches from the top, or the length of your pinky finger, right as you start the crock pot.

Barley takes a LOT of water, it expands a lot in cooking. It's a great food, sure, but give it enough water.

As people are saying, you should be starting the pot early Friday, no earlier. I start mine around 2 pm and we eat at 7 or so. Give the pot five hours from its start.

You start your cholent at 2 pm on Friday and it’s ready to eat by 7 pm Friday night?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:16 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Why not put plain water? Is it a food poisoning thing or a flavor thing

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:19 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
What’s this new word “slay”?

It’s not very new but it’s means doing something very well. I also meant in context of ‘slay the dragon’ with cholent = dragon.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Why not put plain water? Is it a food poisoning thing or a flavor thing

Flavor thing.

If you are limiting salt or sodium, that is another matter altogether.

If you are bringing the food to a boil, it's safe with no flavoring in the water. But you will have boring food that way, adding plain water.

Unless you like a mild taste. I like a strong taste.

By the way, always cold water, not from the hot water faucet, because your sink's hot water was sitting in the hot water tank.

It won't kill you, but that's not so clean. That's not for internal consumption. It is for washing.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:03 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
I don't think that's a very safe from a food safety perspective. That's a long time on warm.

Been doing it for 15 years and never had an issue

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:04 am
I used to make my cholent on Thursday nights, on low the whole time. Just add more water if it gets dryer. It won't taste watery because it continues to reduce and cook down.

The only reason I switched is bc of my schedule. Now I make it Friday morning, but I think it tastes better the night before.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:45 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Been doing it for 15 years and never had an issue

I’d say it really depends on the crockpot. Some crockpots are not food safe on that setting for more than a couple of hours.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics