Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Which Mishloach Mosos was YOUR favorite?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:47 pm
Ohhh so what to the “fancy and creative “ people here think of the donations cards?

Must not be managing if I buy cards which benefit Israel, colel chabad, Tomechi Shabbos, Sinai, Bambi,…..

We all know they do not fulfill the mitzva, but the mitzva is fulfilled with ONE.
Throw those tomatoes 🍅!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:02 pm
I was slightly disappointed that we got mostly candy this year, especially the really gross stuff like candy gel or spray. Most of it went directly into the donate bag.

I love getting real food, but people rarely give that around here. I understand why not, because it's much easier to buy nosh ahead and pack everything in advance, but I really would prefer real food. We did get some homemade baked goods, so that's good. I also like getting chocolate because I'm a chocoholic. I appreciate getting snack bags because that saves me money because my kids get them as a special Shabbos afternoon treat.

We gave out soup and rolls and a drink and some other homemade stuff that fit our theme and have already received plenty of feedback that people enjoyed it.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:02 pm
Our rebbetzin sent a big challah and we ate it right away at the meal. So appreciated!

fig

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 12:22 am
Just learned this year that seltzer can’t be counted as a second time for mm (just like water ) ask your lor

ganmama

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 2:36 am
We live in EY and I think my favorite MM were the ones that had names of hostages on them that you should have the person in mind when you made your brachos!

We repackage a lot of the goodies we get and give them out to keep the joy going (esp because we don’t eat nosh).

Things we held onto this year included:
Yogurts and Home made granola
Tea lollipops
A whole pita/falafel tray
Cookies a friend made
And salatim

We also got a beautiful serving tray and 3 coffee mugs from families we work for. My favorite thing about MM is getting to see the little kids I work with come excited to give to Morah. They could give me empty bags and I’d be still so happy!!!

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 2:46 am
My favorite was definitely the savory real food mm - I find my body doesn't handle the sugar any more so I love having something real to eat. We got some delicious soup and rice with a spicy topping, and a salmon salad. Unfortunately we got way too many variations of homemade chocolate cake. I don't even know what is fresh or we would freeze for the next few weeks shabbos desserts. Also too many salted peanuts - sooo many people gave us those!

Also, easy shlach manos doesn't mean it has to be not tasty - you can buy two items that look elegant together and taste nice. We got a lot of wafers and toffees and other junk that doesn't even taste nice - my kids got much nicer junk food - doritos, cans of drink etc. Someone gave us an mm that was very simple but so classy - a perfect pink apple, a couple of pink packages of tasty but simple bought food items, and two homemade milchig cookies in a disposable pink bowl. Not expensive, not much time to put together, just thoughtful.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 4:21 am
Tao wrote:

Also milchig israeli chocolate that you can't buy here.

What kind is that?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 4:39 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
Interesting take away.
My take away is I am mikayem the mitzva and have little need to show off to my friends.

I just wonder about people who think this way. Just out of curiosity, how many do you give out? What else do you do with your time? Do you use your time and resources to play with and teach your children? Volunteer for your shul and school? Help the war effort? Packing shipments to Israel? Working because you are supporting a family while your husband learns Torah? Caring for elderly parents?
I don’t think it is about “coping” I think everyone is busy and doing things. People do different things and it is about priorities.

I gave 2 inexpensive durable and useful items (can of flavored seltzer and bag of skinny pop). I delivered far and wide to make people feel loved. I took my kids to the nursing home to visit, made seuda for non-frum relatives who otherwise wouldn’t have had a seuda, and delivered for friendship circle.

I left before Megillah, with my deliveries in the car, and came home 5.5 hours later. I came home to 2 wilted salads, warm cheese, spoiled hummus, tepid soup, questionable deli roll, and smelly sushi on my doorstep. I feel terrible about the work, expense, and ba’al taschit.

You spent to five and a half hours driving around delivering MM?
There's *no way* I'm spending precious time in the car delivering MM on Purim.
We deliver all MM a couple of days before and on Purim give to neighbors.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:12 am
fig wrote:
Just learned this year that seltzer can’t be counted as a second time for mm (just like water ) ask your lor

Why ever not?

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:36 am
amother Mint wrote:
Im not. 99% of them are the same mm from the same people every year

I gave a themed mm I put a lot of time into and I love seeing creativity and people who put thought into it

I am a super organized mom with a pretty newborn baby (under 3m). I hosted a meal for 30 plus ppl. My house was completely spotless by 12 am Sunday night. I am DEFINITELY managing.

And yet, I give a mm every year in a neat box/container with 2 or 3 color coordinating yummy items & a custom label I make.

My kids like a theme so I help them come up with something and their costumes and then they get a themed bag or container and fill it .with whatever they want. No it doesn't take me a lot of time, but that's because I have better things to do with mine. I totally get why other people enjoy doing that but I'd rather spend the time on making a beautiful tablescape which I did, or keeping my house spotless, or cooking well rounded, fresh suppers, but that isn't reflected in what I handed out. Simple & nice.

And I find when I get a box of the homemade things take the most time. I don't necessarily keep them unless I know who they're coming from,but I admire those that had the time to spend doing that!

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:45 am
Tao wrote:
I literally never heard of this until Imamother. Everyone I know loves homemade baked goods! Nothing like homemade. The only thing I threw out was cookies from dh friend who is unfortunately no longer frum. Oh and the mm that was delivered to our door extremely late the night after purim and was covered in ants by the time we found it the next morning Crying (I was sad because it looked adorable and yummy!) Otherwise trust everyone else's kashrus bH. As for getting grossed out, maybe if there were just loose cookies rattling around a box it would gross me out, but usually people package things nicely and cleanly and I'm very happy to eat it!

I like homemade. But I threw out soup that sloshed & smelled & the cupcakes that were Fancy with loads of frosting on top that would have made a huge mess if my kids ate it. I kept cookies and muffins and a delicious looking sourdough for Shabbos.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:13 am
I got a bottle of coke which was a nice addition to the purim seuda. Normally I don't do coke so much, but the guests liked it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:23 am
Didn't get a single mini bottle grape juice/wine and not a single mini coffee jar this year. Those used to be standard but as from last year jumped in price.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:44 am
My favorite was the salads and veggie trays. I love getting healthy muffins, but the few "muffins" we got were basically cake in a muffin tin :-)
My husband likes the fancy different kind of nuts.
My kids like any sort of chocolate.

Not sure why but my teen dd got about 5 or 6 iced coffees! Too bad she hates coffee!

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:46 am
I like receiving store bought iced coffees and milchig chocolate and interesting drinks. I barely got any of that this year. I used to get a lot of good junk food I enjoyed, this yr was a lot of small junk that I actually don't enjoy and more than usual food like noodles or chicken nuggets which one of my kids likes better than junk. I don't love eating homemade myself but happy my kid enjoyed it!
I like seeing themes but appreciate if it's food I like Smile I do themes but really try to put in food id enjoy eating too. I would also happily give a 2 item no theme that looks presentable. (And would happily receive it too)

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why ever not?

Probably because its considered water?

imanotmommy

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:56 am
amother Tulip wrote:
I find it so interesting that people love homemade food! Anything homemade (unless made by a close friend) is thrown away 🙈 I don’t know others kashrus/cleanliness standards and it just grosses me out.
My best MM was a veggie platter. Was so
Nice having something healthy to snack on!!

I find it interesting that you'd eat the veggie platter, which isn't even heated, over other homemade food. Unless it came sealed from a store and you assume the store is hygienic.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:16 am
amother Tulip wrote:
I find it so interesting that people love homemade food! Anything homemade (unless made by a close friend) is thrown away 🙈 I don’t know others kashrus/cleanliness standards and it just grosses me out.
My best MM was a veggie platter. Was so
Nice having something healthy to snack on!!

I am happy to see that you are tiny minority.
Are you the author of the thread before purim warning people to send no homemade stuff?

The thread here shows that the majority is very happy to receive homemade stuff. So maybe you should tone it down a little here, where nobody knows who you are and where you live, and spread more actively among those people who might send you MM that homemade stuff grosses you out and that you throw it away.

By the way: why don't you recycle it on Purim itself and send it as MM to someone else?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:29 am
My favourite was the homemade sushi my brother added to the mm that was prepared for me because he knows I like it. It was so thoughtful of him and I was really touched.
Otherwise received mostly baked goods which I am very grateful for, and a nuts platter.
I put a lot of effort into mine but only had very few to give, really enjoy it and honestly I did want the compliments! I'm not going to out myself now but it was all homemade items, themed, very tasty and looked super classy.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 2:23 pm
Seriously. I would never dream of making a themed shalach manos...
Mine are classy and put together.
If you think I'm not managing you need some mental help lol
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics