Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Post partum boss asking when I plan to return
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Moccasin  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:33 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
I personally don't know anyone who took off the full 18 weeks. Of course you have the right to do that, but if that's your plan, it would have been the right thing to do to let them know in advance so they can plan accordingly. If they don't know yet, you should be telling them asap. I'd be pretty upset if I were the employer and had not been informed, especially if that's not what most employees in the company do and therefore had assumed it would be a 6 week leave.
This isn't only about your legal rights. It's also about showing that you are a dedicated employee who cares about the company and communicates well.

I disagree. Op this is your baby and you wont get this time back. Who cares what the job things, thats just what it is... a job. Im not married to my job. Im on maternity leave now, I am a school based therapist. I am taking the full 12 weeks. A few parents asked me when I am coming back. Im entitled to it just like any other woman who has a baby. I want to enjoy my time home

amother
Oldlace  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:41 pm
Definitely do not ask them for compensation for coming back early. That is unheard of and you will be laughed out of the room.

Optimally this would have been discussed in person before you went on maternity leave so you knew what they were okay with. At this point, the safe bet would probably be 12 weeks because that is how long FMLA protects your job legally after you give birth. If you take more time than that, you can be fired without legal consequence.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:41 pm
Just a note, OP -

Disability is not 80% of your pay. Not even close. I'm in NY and it's capped at under $200 a week, IIRC, and while you're approved for 6 weeks, you only get paid for five. So disability is basically under $1000 payment for all 6 weeks.

PFL is 80% of your pay, capped at $670 a week.

I don't know if being aware of these numbers will affect how much leave you decide to take.

Also, it's become more common for employees to take 8 weeks off postpartum, instead of 6 weeks. 12 weeks is a more extended leave, but still heard of. 18 weeks seems long. It's possible that people just can't manage on such a reduced paycheck for that long - with the numbers I listed, your max total take home pay for all 18 weeks would be around $9k

amother
  Oldlace  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:44 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Just a note, OP -

Disability is not 80% of your pay. Not even close. I'm in NY and it's capped at under $200 a week, IIRC, and while you're approved for 6 weeks, you only get paid for five. So disability is basically under $1000 payment for all 6 weeks.

PFL is 80% of your pay, capped at $670 a week.

I don't know if being aware of these numbers will affect how much leave you decide to take.

Also, it's become more common for employees to take 8 weeks off postpartum, instead of 6 weeks. 12 weeks is a more extended leave, but still heard of. 18 weeks seems long. It's possible that people just can't manage on such a reduced paycheck for that long - with the numbers I listed, your max total take home pay for all 18 weeks would be around $9k

In NJ, disability is 85% of your pay. It’s weird that NY is so much less generous.

amother
Garnet  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:46 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
It’s not at all a normal or accepted thing to ask to be compensated for returning earlier. If you feel you need the time, ask to take the time. Don’t forget- they’re not the ones paying you for that leave. The government is. The money is coming out of taxes they and you paid.
(Is it a big office that’s required to give you the additional family leave?)

I work for a hospital. I had STD and my work paid the rest out of my extended illness bank/PTO. They didn’t pay me once my bank was empty, but they did pay their part until that time. Also my STD was 12 weeks. Why is yours only 6?

amother
  Garnet  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:46 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
In NJ, disability is 85% of your pay. It’s weird that NY is so much less generous.

Up to 1085 per week. Not more.

greenteaorange  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:50 pm
I think your over analyzing your boss question he’s just asking when your coming back
Calculate the date and tell him that is your return date

greenteaorange

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:51 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:

NY is more generous the max cap in ny is more than nj and it is easier to file in ny

In ny if you do intermittent you get 12 weeks
In nj if you do intermittent you only get 8 weeks

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:54 pm
To me it sounds like the employer simply wants to know what your plans are and you should let him/her know whatever you decide to do.

Side point, I'm in the UK, where you get 9 months paid maternity leave (not the full amount but definitely helps a lot) plus another 12 weeks legal unpaid leave if you need it. Father's are entitled to 4 weeks paternity leave, 2 of which us paid. I cannot imagine being forced to return after 6 weeks.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:55 pm
Personally I always took 10-12 weeks cuz I can't function earlier than that. I never took the full 18. My job always knew I planned on taking about 3 months and there was no questioning otherwise. I was a good, dedicated employee.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:59 pm
OP I think you are putting the cart before the horse here. Just have a normal discussion with your boss before planning negotiations in your head.

'Hi, I was told I am entitled to x weeks under disability and x weeks under PFL and was planning to use them. What did you have in mind?'

And go from there..

amother
Sunflower  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 4:04 pm
OP, if you want to take the full time your entitlement to then do it. I don’t think you boss has any underlying questions except to have a timeline for when you are returning, which it’s very strange you haven’t already given to them prior to your leave. If you say you are taking 18 weeks in full, if he has more questions he’ll follow up.

Side note- legally in NJ you have to give notice for your PFL. If you are taking all 12 weeks at once, you need to give 30 days notice.

I don’t understand how you think you can just take 12-18 weeks leave without letting your employer know..

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 4:11 pm
So strange that this wasn't discussed before you left. I am taking 15 weeks ( not in NY) and got a replacement for my work in the meantime.
Take off all the time you need to take care of your baby

imaima  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 4:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
There’s a reason they’re asking me 4 weeks pp. they obviously don’t want me to take the full 18 weeks.

You can take how many weeks you want but you have to say esrly enough. It’s not menschlich not to say anything till later

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:10 pm
You are entitled to take off 18 weeks but keep in mind that your company only has to keep your job for 12 weeks postpartum. I work for a huge office and they asked an attorney and this is what they were told.

amother
Cyclamen  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:18 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
OP, if you want to take the full time your entitlement to then do it. I don’t think you boss has any underlying questions except to have a timeline for when you are returning, which it’s very strange you haven’t already given to them prior to your leave. If you say you are taking 18 weeks in full, if he has more questions he’ll follow up.

Side note- legally in NJ you have to give notice for your PFL. If you are taking all 12 weeks at once, you need to give 30 days notice.

I don’t understand how you think you can just take 12-18 weeks leave without letting your employer know..
This. Plus FMLA only covers 12 weeks. If you don’t like your job then let them know you’re taking off 18 weeks and wait for them to fire you. Otherwise, it’s in your best interest to work with them.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:21 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
In my company if someone takes more than 12 weeks post birth it ends up affecting their performance for the year and can have an impact on the next evaluation for raises.
Some take 12 weeks and during quiet times take off a week here or there or when child is sick and it's still part of PFL if within the first year.

That can't be legal. You can't retaliate against employees for taking leave they are legally entitled to.

amother
  Sunflower  

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:21 pm
amother Navy wrote:
You are entitled to take off 18 weeks but keep in mind that your company only has to keep your job for 12 weeks postpartum. I work for a huge office and they asked an attorney and this is what they were told.

Right I was going to add this as well, only PFL offers job protection. The 6 weeks of STD does not

smss

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:22 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
I think your over analyzing your boss question he’s just asking when your coming back
Calculate the date and tell him that is your return date

This!
I am so pro taking as much maternity leave as you can but of course by now you should have let your boss know your plans! Just decide and tell them.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:22 pm
I work in a small office and I had a coworker who had a baby. She had told me, a coworker, that she was taking 12 weeks, but she was very vague with our boss and made it sound like she was only taking 6 weeks. He was very upset, because her work needed to get done and being that it's a small office there aren't enough people to give it all to. If she would have told him she was taking 12 weeks, he would have hired someone temporarily. For six weeks we could have made it work.
But it wasn't possible for that long. We had some very unhappy clients because we couldn't get their projects completed properly.

I could never understand why she wasn't upfront about it. It would have prevented a lot of issues.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics