Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Boiling eggs
Previous  1  2

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:58 am
My mother taught me to bring eggs to boil, then cover, remove from heat, and sit for 15 minutes.

I bring water to a boil, gently add eggs, and cook for 7 minutes.

teachkids

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:10 am
I put eggs and water. When I notice it boiling I turn it off and leave it in the pot till I get it to. I can only attribute this working to siyata dshmaya because it’s so imprecise

Elfrida

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:51 am
I pit eggs and water in pot, and let it boil. Then switch off the heat and leave them for a minimum of ten minutes. Works fine.

Traditionally eggs were cooked for three or four minutes, but because we keep them in the fridge they have a lower starting point. If you keep them at room temperature (like a lot of people do at Pesach) they cook quicker.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:57 am
Bring eggs to a boil. Turn off flame and let it sit in the hot water for 20 minutes (set a timer). Then run under cold water for a couple min. Perfect eggs and easy to peel!

emzod42

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:03 am
Elfrida wrote:
I pit eggs and water in pot, and let it boil. Then switch off the heat and leave them for a minimum of ten minutes. Works fine.

Traditionally eggs were cooked for three or four minutes, but because we keep them in the fridge they have a lower starting point. If you keep them at room temperature (like a lot of people do at Pesach) they cook quicker.

This is what I do too. I add a little vinegar because it's supposed to help with peeling.

Mayflower

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:47 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Can I add a question? Do you have to use an odd number of eggs or just more than 3 halachicaly? I remember learning this or hearing of this somewhere.
I always boil an odd number with a minimum of 3 (so either 3,5,7...). That's what I learned, not sure what the reason behind it is.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:53 am
Best method for gorgeous yellow eggs is boil up eggs with water, once it’s bubbling turn off the flame, leave cover on and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse in cold water.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:19 am
Mayflower wrote:
I always boil an odd number with a minimum of 3 (so either 3,5,7...). That's what I learned, not sure what the reason behind it is.

So that there will always be a majority one way or the other if there are any questions about kashrut. You can't pre-check hard boiled eggs for bloodspots.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:33 am
For those who boil longer than 8 min how do you eat green eggs? They also smell and taste terrible. I only boil for 6 min eggs with water together then dump under cold water. Comes out an amazing color and smells and tastes delicious.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:04 am
After they come to a boil I let them simmer for 20 min. They come out bright yellow. I add a tsp of baking soda for easy peeling.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:13 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
For those who boil longer than 8 min how do you eat green eggs? They also smell and taste terrible. I only boil for 6 min eggs with water together then dump under cold water. Comes out an amazing color and smells and tastes delicious.

I also asked myself that question. 20 or even 30 min is waaay too long.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:45 am
I put raw eggs into a pot with water. Add salt. Let sit for 10 min to center the yolks.
Bring to a boil and cook for 9:30 min calculating from when the water starts to bubble.
Immediately take off the fire and change the water to coldest repeating the fill and dump water 3 times. Beautiful yolk centered eggs that are not green or grey.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:47 am
kalsee wrote:
Yes but
1) it doesn't need babysitting anymore
2) it's cooking but not boiling - and the color is so much nicer

The timer is my babysitter.
My eggs are a bright yellow and they're still slightly jammy.

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do you boil eggs? Water first then add eggs? Or all together at once?
I usually just dump water and eggs in the pot and wait til the first egg starts to crack but I’d love an actual method lol 😂

1. Eggs and water together, bring to boil.
2. Turn off stove and leave for 15 min.

Almost never fails.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 2:58 pm
Love this thread!
Something as simple as boiled eggs- and look how many methods!!
Awesome!

Ps anyone use an electric egg cooker? Got one as a gift and just waiting for hubby to toivel it…

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 4:49 pm
Elfrida wrote:
So that there will always be a majority one way or the other if there are any questions about kashrut. You can't pre-check hard boiled eggs for bloodspots.

Once you hit 3, there will be a majority unless multiple eggs have blood spots at which point you have a bigger issue.
If you boil 1, and there's a blood spot, you throw it out.
If you boil 2, and there's a blood spot, no majority.
If you boil 3+, and there's a blood spot, you have a majority of 2 without.
I grew up with the odd number always and then learned after I was married that once you hit 3 eggs, you're ok.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:44 pm
Hard boiled eggs simplified!
Eggs in pot.
Cold water in pot.
Turn on gas.
Put timer on for 18 minutes.
When timer rings, turn off eggs & run under cold water.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:52 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
Love this thread!
Something as simple as boiled eggs- and look how many methods!!
Awesome!

Ps anyone use an electric egg cooker? Got one as a gift and just waiting for hubby to toivel it…

Egg cooker could come in handy if one doesn't have lots of pots or no vacant gas flame on the range.

meirah1

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:02 pm
yeah my husband keeps an egg cooker at work where theres no oven
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen