Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What spices for cholent
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:42 am
unnamed wrote:
Make sure you're adding plenty of whichever spices you use

if I decide to use cumin and coriander I should add alot?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:45 am
amother OP wrote:

No, that will completely overwhelm the cholent. And they're not spicy, so if that's what you're looking for you should consider something else.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:51 am
Put in alot of garlic powder onion powder more paprika maybe the regular pepper isn’t working for you? I use the slightly bigger fancy pepper you cld put in small amt of that. Fry the onions and meat. Some coconut sugar I do chili powder not too much just 2-3 shakes a pinch of red pepper flakes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:54 am
amother Red wrote:
No, that will completely overwhelm the cholent. And they're not spicy, so if that's what you're looking for you should consider something else.

what then are cumin and coriander if not spicy?

what are falafel balls made of?

and montreal steak seasoning has coriander in it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:55 am
amother Anemone wrote:
Put in alot of garlic powder onion powder more paprika maybe the regular pepper isn’t working for you? I use the slightly bigger fancy pepper you cld put in small amt of that. Fry the onions and meat. Some coconut sugar I do chili powder not too much just 2-3 shakes a pinch of red pepper flakes

I dont put in garlic and onion powder just fry lots of onions and garlic.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:55 am
amother OP wrote:
what then are cumin and coriander if not spicy?

what are falafel balls made of?

and montreal steak seasoning has coriander in it.

They're warm, not spicy. You consider falafel balls spicy? Maybe we're defining spicy differently.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:00 am
Saute the onions and lots of minced fresh garlic cloves in a little oil to start. That gives a lot of flavor. Sprinkle the onions and garlic while they’re sautéing with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar and paprika.
After you add the rest of the ingredients, meat, beans, barley, potatoes or whatever you use, add more flavoring. Chicken soup mix and onion soup mix add a lot of flavor. I use garlic powder, chili powder, fresh ground pepper and smoky paprika.
My family doesn’t like the taste of coriander or cumin. If you want to try them start with 1/4 teaspoon or less of cumin.
Some people add a tablespoon of honey or ketchup.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:02 am
amother OP wrote:

No. They have a very distinct, strong taste. Some people like it, some don’t. Start with 1/4 teaspoon or less.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:06 am
Turmeric mainly adds color and a bit of an aroma. If you put too much the cholent will be bitter. Use just a sprinkle.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:09 am
amother Leaf wrote:
No. They have a very distinct, strong taste. Some people like it, some don’t. Start with 1/4 teaspoon or less.

so coriander and cumin are not the usual to put in?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:15 am
amother OP wrote:

I would not put those spices in cholent. They are not the traditional taste at all.

If you are going for "spicy" as in heat level, go for red pepper flakes, more black pepper, reds hot sauce, cayenne, or sriracha.

If you are going for "spicy" as in more intense flavor, try smoked paprika, honey, ketchup, fish free worchestershire, goodman's onion soup mix, more garlic, onions, salt. I also find kishka adds a lot of flavor too.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:24 am
Op said if she adds too much black pepper her dh finds it sharp. I think op is looking for flavorful, not spicy.
Op, red pepper flakes and sriracha will give your cholent heat, a burny spiciness similar to what you get from black pepper. It’s a better flavor than black pepper but it’s strong. If you want to use either, or both, add just a drop. You can experiment by cooking a plain dish, pasta or rice, and adding cumin, sriracha, whatever is new to you, and see how it tastes.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:25 am
amother OP wrote:
I dont put in garlic and onion powder just fry lots of onions and garlic.

I fry onions in addition to putting in a lot of onion powder garlic powder. My cholent isn’t bland..btw I also do coarse salt and pepper over the meat when searing and some gets on the onions

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:28 am
I still want to keep to clean simple ingredients. is it not possible?

want to avoid soup mixes, honey, ketchup, sriracha etc

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:45 am
amother OP wrote:

I listed a bunch of options above. And I am not sure what isn't clean or simple about honey or sriracha.

Also- how old is your son? Maybe ask him what kind of spices, sauces, foods he is referring to as spicy? I mean he can always sprinkle some cayenne on top of his portion of cooked cholent ...

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:48 am
amother OP wrote:

You don’t need soup mix. Many people don’t use honey or ketchup. See my posts above for other suggestions.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:02 am
amother Taupe wrote:
I listed a bunch of options above. And I am not sure what isn't clean or simple about honey or sriracha.

Also- how old is your son? Maybe ask him what kind of spices, sauces, foods he is referring to as spicy? I mean he can always sprinkle some cayenne on top of his portion of cooked cholent ...

doesnt sriracha have sugar and other stuff in it?

unless I am confusing it with sriracha sauce?

Busybee5

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:03 am
I put sweet chilli sauce and salt in mine.
I put baked beans in which also gives it a good flavour.

smilethere

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:04 am
Pereg Curry Powder. about a tablespoon in a large pot.
Been using it for years in my traditional chulent, and everybody talks about it. Gives it a depth and a hint of exotic without being spicy.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:05 am
I don’t use any sauces or soup mixes. I only use the original spices and my cholent has so much flavor I have turned ppl who had aversions to cholent into cholent lovers when they tasted mine. I posted before what I put in
Also make sure ur using sea salt not table salt. Brings out the flavor more
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics