Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What do your kids do after u light the candles?
Previous  1  2

pause

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 1:45 am
In the summer, if they're old enough to be up, they're old enough to behave. If they're young, they're in bed. We don't do early Shabbos, so it's really late. They eat and go to sleep at their regular time.

In the winter, we read the school/playgroup newsletter. They eat. Then we play a game or two. Then we prepare the dips. After that, DH is usually home from shul.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 1:53 am
pause wrote:
In the summer, if they're old enough to be up, they're old enough to behave. If they're young, they're in bed. We don't do early Shabbos, so it's really late. They eat and go to sleep at their regular time.

In the winter, we read the school/playgroup newsletter. They eat. Then we play a game or two. Then we prepare the dips. After that, DH is usually home from shul.

I think this is the key. You are on, planning and managing things the same as any other time.

OP, I have been where you are, including with older kids who may not be lap age but want personal time sitting near me, cuddling, etc. And it happens exactly when I am trying to sit and relax, just as you mentioned. If I am with one kid, that can work, because that kids is actively relaxing with me. But with more, they want to be interacting with me the same as the others, and there is a competition. So I have to be more on. And no, it nevwrworked to have one physically cuddling with me while I guessed at another playing charades or the like. That only worked with nursing.

ewwpeas20

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:05 am
I only have a 3 and 5 year old and they're usually in bed by then. Winters are harder.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:21 am
dena613 wrote:
Check with your rov. I believe eating and drinking before kiddush is assur... But I'm from different circles than you.

Other than that, I love your Friday routine!

I'm not that poster but I usually make kiddush when I feed my kids because I'm usually starving at that point and I need something to eat in order to take care of them.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:07 am
We do early shabbos, but still the younger ones are usually hungry around candle lighting time. I find as long as I give them dinner before they get too hungry, they're okay to stay up later. Sometimes one will act overtired or ask to go to sleep, so I'll put them to sleep casually and tell them if they're awake at kiddush time they can get up. Whoever stays awake I'll read a couple of stories then they'll play on the floor while I rest on the couch. Sometimes the older boys are too tired to go to shul or play nicely, so there are fights. It is what it is.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 5:19 am
We make early Shabbos so I light around 6 ish.
Then we go outside to the park until my husband gets home.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 5:26 am
They always get a Shabbos treat first.

In the winter we sing lecha dodi, read a million books and play.

Depending on the timing after we change the clock they either go straight to sleep, are already sleeping, or have a mini seuda and then go to bed.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note