Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
What type of luggage for seminary

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:58 am
We are OOT and DD is not going on a group flight. Not 100%, but looking at the moment at elal since they are not canceling flights as much.
How many pieces of luggage do the girls generally take (have to pay for more than 1 I think?)?

What type of luggage is best - suitcases of duffels?

Also, do we want a wheely carry on?

DD said she thinks girls use a wheely for going away for shabbos - but that sounds like too bug for a one night stay?! what do they use for this purpose?

TIA

amother
Snow

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:01 pm
My daughter is going on the group flight. It says it includes 2 suitcases. Idk if girls pay for more or not. I believe that is in addition to a carry on. My niece told her that the girls use a carryon wheely when going away for shabbos especially as there is a lot of walking and riding on the bus so even if something smaller would be enough it's a lot to carry it so far

chestnut

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:05 pm
Duffels are better and weigh less than suitcases. Duffels without wheels weigh even less, but not worth it because of shlepping, imo.
They can take smallish duffel bags or a knapsack when going away for shabbos.
A group flight allowed 2 free bags and had to pay for the 3rd. I think most girls had 3 bags.
There's a Whatsapp group for moms of sem girls with all this useful info. And a group for girls going to sem

amother
Lily

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:09 pm
Group flights automatically give 2 plus an option to buy a third which most did unless they sent luggage ahead of time. Most took the cheap wheelie duffles bc they are light- fit a lot- and easier for sem to store throughout year. Don’t invest in good ones bc they really take a beating. Amazing savings has large one which fits elal specs
My daughter took a carry on wheelie - good for YT and some longer weekends and a large tote (Wallace) which was perfect for most Shabbos.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:10 pm
The group flight usually comes with 2 pieces of luggage, if your ticket doesn’t you definitely need to pay for a second. Many girls also try to send things with family or friends who are going in the summer or they send winter things with people going later for Succos or visits bec it’s not a lot of space.
Use wheeled duffels for the main luggage and use a wheely for a carryon and either a backpack for a personal item or you can pack a small duffel if she decides not to use a wheely for Shabbos but it’s really not too much room and it’s what will give her the most space as a carryon for the plane and space is valuable!

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:10 pm
Wheely carry on that also works for Shabbos- it doesn't have to be the biggest size. Remember that girls are often advised to bring linens when they go away, and the like. She should also have a backpack, whichh she can choose to bring instead if she likes. The wheely is a useful thing for after seminary too.

I also like wheeled duffels for seminary. Amazing Savings quality is fine- they usually last more than two flights. I'd semd a roll of duct tape, but I would recommend that regardless. If your dd's seminary beds have empty underbed storage space, I might send a suitcase that fits and then use it for that- I don't like duffels for storage.

ETA I agree with above poster about having more carry on space on the plane. There's a lot these days that you don't want to pack under the plane, including medication and one regular outfit and one uniform (if she needs) in case of luggage issues.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:12 pm
when your DD goes away for Shabbat the best luggage is on wheels, but a small bag. Not the real large ones. Big enough for linen ( many Seminary young ladies take linen so the house they go to does not need to wash. Sheet, top sheet, pillowcase). 1 shabbat outfit, shoes, underclothing, PJ's.reading material.

chestnut

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:14 pm
Some girls find someone in sem this year to leave their bedding for them. There're also sites to buy it in Israel and they deliver to the seminary

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:39 pm
If you do not have access to the group flights and extra luggage, then I would definitely suggest using the Blanket Express delivery service for as much as possible. I used them for 2 kids and bought mid range stuff (not the most expensive) that my kids said was very very good. You can buy linens, towels, blankets, pillows, shampoos, and other extras. We felt it was worth it because even if I can buy it cheaper at Target, when we added the cost of the extra luggage, plus the schlepping, it wasn't worth it. They delivered it straight to the seminary or yeshiva dirah and it was clearly labeled.

erm

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:40 pm
My daughter took along 3 duffle bags with wheels and a small wheelie as a carry on. She used it for the times she went away for Shabbos.
I ordered blanket express for all her linens blankets and towels plus toiletries, blow dryer etc…

shanie5

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:14 pm
If you use a black duffle, mark it with bright duck tape. With her inittials or something so she can differentiate her bag from the 100 similar looking ones at the luggage carousel.

Dil sister has a whattsapp group for links to items needed in sem. If interested, I'll get the info for you.

chestnut

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:16 pm
shanie5 wrote:
If you use a black duffle, mark it with bright duck tape. With her inittials or something so she can differentiate her bag from the 100 similar looking ones at the luggage carousel.

Yes! Was a brilliant suggestion I saw elsewhere

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:56 pm
thanks for all the responses.
what size wheeled duffle is the right size for restrictions?
She has a good hard plastic carry on size suitcase, not the smallest - kind of typical carry on size. Is that too big?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info