Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Reputable online English tutoring platforms.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 4:12 am
Hi,

I am considering joining an English tutoring platform to earn some supplemental income.

However after perusing numerous options , I am a little overwhelmed. They all seem to have very significant disadvantages which are making me weary of getting started.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience working on these platforms and for recommendations of the best ones.

I live in Israel and I cannot work with the ones only hiring those eligible to work in the US, Canada or UK. Also I have not taught English before but hold a Bachelor's degree and have many years experience in a related field.

I appreciate any insights you can give me.

ganmama

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:35 am
I tutor through Preply. You can set your own hours, and your own rate. You do not need previous experience, and they have a fantastic library of materials you can use.
Cons: trial lessons with new students are not paid, and they take a commission (percentage of your rate) on all lessons.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:39 am
Thanks.
Preply is the one I'm considering most seriously. Are you generally satisfied with the experience?
The other one I'm seriously in looking into is Cambly, so if anyone has any experience with them I'd be grateful to hear about it.

ganmama

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.
Preply is the one I'm considering most seriously. Are you generally satisfied with the experience?
The other one I'm seriously in looking into is Cambly, so if anyone has any experience with them I'd be grateful to hear about it.

I’ve been teaching with them for almost 2 years and am thrilled overall. Their support staff is generally very responsive, the students have been fantastic. And the platform is very user friendly.

It takes a while to get consistent students. But once you have some good reviews, it’s easier.

The most popular times are in the middle of the night for Israel. I work a full day (Israeli hours) and then supplement in the afternoon on Sunday with regular students. If you teach older students you’re more likely to get afternoon/evening hours, since they’re not in school…

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:39 am
Thanks. You've been very helpful.
How much of a commission do they take for subsequent lessons?

ganmama

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. You've been very helpful.
How much of a commission do they take for subsequent lessons?

It’s staggered, the more hours you teach the less they take. It starts at 33% and after 400 teaching hours (including introductory lessons) it goes down to 18%. With steps in the middle.

Remember, you get to set your rate, so you can take the commission into account when you decide how much to charge.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:43 am
Once again, I really appreciate the time you are taking to answer.

I believe that I have experience that gives me an edge allowing me to charge on the higher end, but will I be able to get students if I'm more expensive?

ganmama

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Once again, I really appreciate the time you are taking to answer.

I believe that I have experience that gives me an edge allowing me to charge on the higher end, but will I be able to get students if I'm more expensive?

I take $20/hour (and they’re really 50 minute hours). There are lessons booked at a higher rate, but you are competing with people who live in countries with weaker currencies and take less. When I started I was taking $18/hour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers