Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
I answered "yes" during a spam call



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:33 am
I got a weird call, and at first I was 100% sure it was a scam call, but 45 second in, realized it was and hung up mid sentence. But first they asked few questions and I was careful to say hmm and the like but at one point I replied "yes" now I'm scared they can use that. Supposedly that's an issue?!
Back to top

amother
DarkOrange


 

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:42 am
What did you say yes to?
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:43 am
Maybe he said like 'do you hear me'? but they record that and supposedly use it to access bank etc, because they require your voice to say yes. This is a known scam, but I'm wondering how worried I need to be and if there's anything I need to do
Back to top

amother
Lightcoral


 

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:44 am
I wouldn’t be worried
Back to top

chanatron1000




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:46 am
I'm not sure it's still relevant, because at this point AI voice replication is advanced enough that even if you don't say "yes," they can still have a recording that sounds a lot like you saying "yes."
Back to top

amother
Whitewash


 

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe he said like 'do you hear me'? but they record that and supposedly use it to access bank etc, because they require your voice to say yes. This is a known scam, but I'm wondering how worried I need to be and if there's anything I need to do


I remember my brother warning me years ago about this, that I need to mumble (if speak at all) to these calls. But it seems absolutely impossible that a recording of your voice saying "yes" is going to grant them bank access or any other kind of access to anything. DH talks to spam callers constantly (he's much nicer than me - I just hang up) and our accounts haven't been drained yet.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:49 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
I'm not sure it's still relevant, because at this point AI voice replication is advanced enough that even if you don't say "yes," they can still have a recording that sounds a lot like you saying "yes."


Thank you, that's what I was thinking as well. I feel better now. Thanks
Back to top

thriver




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:53 am
In our house, we have a great time scamming these scammers right back. We try and string them along and keep them on the phone for as long as possible 😆. We feel it’s best to keep them occupied so they can’t call other people.
Back to top

amother
Camellia


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:11 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe he said like 'do you hear me'? but they record that and supposedly use it to access bank etc, because they require your voice to say yes. This is a known scam, but I'm wondering how worried I need to be and if there's anything I need to do


They can't access your bank with a recording of your saying the word yes. They could try to say you said yes to paying something, but without giving them any payment information they have nothing on you.
Back to top

peace2




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:13 am
Do you have voice authentication set up for your bank? Mine has me say a whole sentence so “yes” probably won’t get them anywhere
Back to top

amother
Begonia


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:14 am
Yes if you have your voice in a message on your voice mail they can use that … I don’t think what you say to them matters much
Back to top

amother
Smokey


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:16 am
If that was the issue, they can do that the second you pick up and say "hello?" It's not a problem. The issue is when you pick up, it confirms that your number is attached to a human and they use that info to get you on more lists for more scam calls.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:19 am
amother Smokey wrote:
If that was the issue, they can do that the second you pick up and say "hello?" It's not a problem. The issue is when you pick up, it confirms that your number is attached to a human and they use that info to get you on more lists for more scam calls.


I could live with that. Usually it says potential spam then and I'm good
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:19 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
I'm not sure it's still relevant, because at this point AI voice replication is advanced enough that even if you don't say "yes," they can still have a recording that sounds a lot like you saying "yes."


This. These days they don’t rely on a “yes” from
You anymore
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO Outdoor Black Square Planters 25"-30", online or local?
by amother
0 Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:55 pm View last post
Aol took away "block senders" option?
by amother
3 Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:40 pm View last post
Protect hardwood during simcha
by amother
0 Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:03 pm View last post
TEETH: "COSMETIC BONDING" is cheap, fast, painless. 16 Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:25 pm View last post
[ Poll ] Do you work during the summer?
by amother
18 Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:12 pm View last post