Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone’s child diagnosed with Infantile self gratification

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:17 am
Looking for more info from other moms dealing with this and who diagnosed it and is there treatment
Thank you

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:30 am
Therapist here. I haven't googled it but what does that even mean and who diagnosed it?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:47 am
Do you mean that your baby is "ma*sturbating"

This is an extremely common behavior and isn't considered to be a "disorder"

Part of normal development in an infant is exploring their bodies as well as the environment around them.

Are there other symptoms that are serious and for which you consulted someone?

Who diagnosed this?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 10:24 am
It’s not just normal behavior as others are saying normal to explore body. Child’s doing it since few months and multiple times day , looks almost like seizures, is in pain often and often doesn’t want to stop doing it , as if can’t reach the peak and it’s hard and tiring and messes with her whole day and socially people ask what she’s doing.
I’m sick of regular doctors saying it’s normal. This isnt regular exploring this is from when she was tiny, I need more clarity from someone if anyone else has dealt with this with their child . It’s easy for others to say it’s normal when it’s not their child.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 10:26 am
I would try OT. Sounds like a mental health issue. Are there other signs of emotional dysregulation?

I would try play therapy

Other things I would try would be craniosacral therapy.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 10:30 am
I would try to explore form a sensory lens. Get a. Fantastic ot and maybe look into some body work. Hatzlacha

amother
Olive

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 10:30 am
amother OP wrote:
It’s not just normal behavior as others are saying normal to explore body. Child’s doing it since few months and multiple times day , looks almost like seizures, is in pain often and often doesn’t want to stop doing it , as if can’t reach the peak and it’s hard and tiring and messes with her whole day and socially people ask what she’s doing.
I’m sick of regular doctors saying it’s normal. This isnt regular exploring this is from when she was tiny, I need more clarity from someone if anyone else has dealt with this with their child . It’s easy for others to say it’s normal when it’s not their child.

I did similar, I'm not sure from what age but as long as I can remember, maybe 7.
I learnt to keep it private, my mother wld tell me to stop if she saw me.
It took a long time to outgrow and I felt ashamed of it.

I don't know how old she is but if you can, tell her this is normal but only in private.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:11 am
amother Ivory wrote:
I would try to explore form a sensory lens. Get a. Fantastic ot and maybe look into some body work. Hatzlacha

I agree. Are there are sensory seeking or avoiding behaviors?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:15 am
How old is she?

Is she otherwise neurotypical? What other things does she have going on that may provide clues? How old is she? I personally would get her hormones tested. And also look into addressing histamine intolerance

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:41 am
She’s 2.5

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:15 pm
If she's 2.5 you can also tell a behavioral approach by using a substitute behavior. But you would need guidance from a therapist or OT.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:39 pm
I have OT’s working with her but done have really helped. They do sensory input and other things but this continues

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have OT’s working with her but done have really helped. They do sensory input and other things but this continues

Then I would try to get in touch with excellent play therapist and see if they feel they call be helpful.

You can also try craniosacral therapy or ryhtmic movement, any body based way of calming down the system.

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Looking for more info from other moms dealing with this and who diagnosed it and is there treatment
Thank you

Therapist here. A lot of times it’s a kids coping skill to self soothe. Please reach out to a child therapist who deals with it, they will give you tips to help your daughter replace the behavior, how you can respond when she does it. etc.
Please please don’t use a behavioral therapist. It’s a band aid and doesn’t get to the core of the issue of WHY the behavior is there.
Take her to a social worker who has experience with attachment and can help you fill her emotional needs in ways that work for her.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:58 pm
Have you looked into precocious puberty

amother
Bergamot

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 4:36 pm
There is a very rare medical condition called PGAD- persisent genital ar@ousal disorder.

I don`t know much about it and as far as I know it doesn`t affect such young children but maybe look into it or bring it up with your GP.

Hatzlocha!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 6:10 pm
Possibly look into the possibility of any kind of s-xual abuse. It seems sensory, so thats where my mind went.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 6:41 pm
My first thought is uti or yeast. Were those ruled out?

amother
Jean

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 6:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

I had a student two years ago that would touch self obsessively during class. She would move around on her chair almost non stop. She had other issues besides for that, like social anxiety etc. We did discuss it with her therapist, and ultimately decided to give it some more time. I did not keep up with the case as she moved on to the next grade, but I do believe that she is on anti anxiety medications now and it has stopped.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:16 pm
I appreciate all the responses. No abuse bh! History of UTI so it adds to it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics